Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Watch Freek
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you even wondered which browser you should use (this was an eye-opener to me as Firefox talks big about privacy):

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
In case you even wondered which browser you should use (this was an eye-opener to me as Firefox talks big about privacy):

I looked at all of that at one time and I messed around with many browsers, but, I said the heck with it because at the risk of compromised security none of the other browsers gave me what googles did, so for good or bad, I've been using that ever since... maybe not the smartest thing I've ever done... lol

·
Long Time Member
268 Posts
Need to understand that their opinion applies to default settings in a standard installation.

Anyone seriously concerned about privacy should never install sw with default setting and definitely not rely on a browser alone to prevent security leaks, e.g. by using encrypted domain search and a VPN.

Firefox is the most customizable and has a wealth of add-ons to address privacy issues. I think one would find that it can be configured to offer the best privacy.

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
Need to understand that their opinion applies to default settings in a standard installation.

Anyone seriously concerned about privacy should never install sw with default setting and definitely not rely on a browser alone to prevent security leaks, e.g. by using encrypted domain search and a VPN.

Firefox is the most customizable and has a wealth of add-ons to address privacy issues. I think one would find that it can be configured to offer the best privacy.
I did go through ALL the google default setting (which most if not all do not do) and disabled or "opted out" of most all of them, you'd probably be surprised at what all the default settings are!

·
Long Time Member
268 Posts
You’re right about Google [mention]Accutronitis [/mention]
That’s why you’d better not use Google or Bing for a search engine!
And that applies to any browser.
DuckDuckGo is what I use.

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
Honestly hadn’t thought about this too much to tell you the
truth Hector. So can’t thank you enough for opening my, or
our eyes ! 👀(y)(y);) My browser seems to be one of the
worst it looks like by the way. 😊 It figures. 😄

Seriously though, this really makes you think, and with all of
the issues with online security today. This is really helpful, as
well as just fantastic to know. Thank you sir !!!

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
You’re right about Google [mention]Accutronitis [/mention]
That’s why you’d better not use Google or Bing for a search engine!
And that applies to any browser.
DuckDuckGo is what I use.
It was easier just to change the setting to disable all the bad stuff and block everything else I don't like...

A good VPN is always a great idea as well!

Reactions: Roarry

·
Senior Freek
1,814 Posts
I tried Brave for a while and had issues. I use Firefox and not at default settings. Also use DuckDuckGo and VPN very often.

If you like Chrome and want it slightly more private and less “googley” you can use it’s open source base, Chromium. Which is what Brave and Edge are built from, along with many others.

I actually use this on Linux for some development when I need Chrome testing specifically, and when I have issues with some websites that only support Chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
I tried Brave for a while and had issues. I use Firefox and not at default settings. Also use DuckDuckGo and VPN very often.

If you like Chrome and want it slightly more private and less “googley” you can use it’s open source base, Chromium. Which is what Brave and Edge are built from, along with many others.

I actually use this on Linux for some development when I need Chrome testing specifically, and when I have issues with some websites that only support Chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll take a look at it, thanks...

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,395 Posts
I use a VPN, currently, my IP address is in New York, as I sit here typing in Arizona!

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
I use a VPN, currently, my IP address is in New York, as I sit here typing in Arizona!
You do know that with most BUT not all VPN's your IP address is in New York can still be back-traced to your location in Arizona?

A VPN encrypts your communication back and forth but that encrypted data can still be followed as it bounces around from one point to another, but that encrypted data just can't be read...

Give me your New York IP and I'll show you... :cool:

Reactions: Roarry

·
Long Time Member
268 Posts
A properly configured VPN will not expose your IP, that’s the whole point of using it.
HTTPS encrypts your data, but not your ip or the connection’s.

Encrypted DNS, which needs to be added separately, will prevent exposing the endpoint. Cloudfare provides this service and has details of how it all works.

VPNs can disconnect in the middle of a session, which will reveal your private ip as well. There are ways around it too.

The NSA and Mossad will be able to track you down, just a matter of how paranoid you are.

For me, I just don’t want Google et al sending me targeted ads or my isp snooping on my browsing.

Check this:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use ProtonVPN free because I have been a ProtonMail client for years and trust it 100%. The Proton team was started by a bunch of CERN engineers, not greedy IT dorks. The leaders are all PhD people. Emails between ProtonMail accounts are 100% encrypted and hosted in Switzerland. The US or anyone else cannot get their hands on your emails, and even if it’s successfully subpoenaed, ProtonMail only hands over a 256 bit encrypted email with no key. They have no way of generating a key.

It’s a brilliant email service. If you don’t know about it, check it out.

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
A properly configured VPN will not expose your IP, that’s the whole point of using it.
HTTPS encrypts your data, but not your ip or the connection’s.

Encrypted DNS, which needs to be added separately, will prevent exposing the endpoint. Cloudfare provides this service and has details of how it all works.

VPNs can disconnect in the middle of a session, which will reveal your private ip as well. There are ways around it too.

The NSA and Mossad will be able to track you down, just a matter of how paranoid you are.

For me, I just don’t want Google et al sending me targeted ads or my isp snooping on my browsing.

Check this:

Most VPN proxies can easily be resolved, most don't need the NSA's resources, at the very least the fact that you are using a VPN can be detected... A VPN isn't the end all that most people believe, ANYTHING can be hacked!

I use the 1.1.1.1... Thank's Linus Tech Tips! lol

·
Long Time Member
268 Posts
All right [mention]Accutronitis [/mention] , I thought we’re having a friendly exchange, what’s up with the sarcasm? Lol

VPNs will hide one’s private address. That was the point of the entire discussion.
The VPN server addresses mean nothing, don’t reveal who you are or where you’re connecting.

Not trying to patronize, be a “guru” or insult anybody’s intelligence.
We’re all here for the same reason (watches!) and the occasional side topic!

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
All right [mention]Accutronitis [/mention] , I thought we’re having a friendly exchange, what’s up with the sarcasm? Lol

VPNs will hide one’s private address. That was the point of the entire discussion.
The VPN server addresses mean nothing, don’t reveal who you are or where you’re connecting.

Not trying to patronize, be a “guru” or insult anybody’s intelligence.
We’re all here for the same reason (watches!) and the occasional side topic!
LOL there's no sarcasm? I meant what I said, VPN server addresses can be back-traced to the private address, the FBI does it all the time, it doesn't require the resources of the NSA...

I'm not saying the avg joe can easily do it but it can be done...

A VPN's main job is to encrypt your communication from point to point or to put it another way, to secure your data transmission...

VPN providers will tell you VPNs will hide one’s private address, but security professionals will tell you "Using a VPN in and of itself isn't going to stop people who want to trace specific activities on-line. A VPN encrypts the traffic from your machine to the exit point of the VPN network. "...

So if "whoever" has your VPN's IP address assigned to you at that time, it can be traced back to your machine, such as chaz's "New York" IP address, BUT without the encryption key they can't unencrypt the data and read it... unless of course, "they" can intercept encryption key???

NOTHING online is 100% secure, you need to realize that, unnerving isn't it? :eek:

That's what Edward Snowden was trying to tell everyone!

And I'm just telling you this in the most friendly way I know how...

"they" can breach any network, AND "those" on the network can trace where "they" are!

·
Senior Freek
1,814 Posts
I use ProtonVPN free because I have been a ProtonMail client for years and trust it 100%. The Proton team was started by a bunch of CERN engineers, not greedy IT dorks. The leaders are all PhD people. Emails between ProtonMail accounts are 100% encrypted and hosted in Switzerland. The US or anyone else cannot get their hands on your emails, and even if it’s successfully subpoenaed, ProtonMail only hands over a 256 bit encrypted email with no key. They have no way of generating a key.

I've been a ProtonMail and ProtonVPN customer for years. I try to use as much zero knowledge based applications as I can. For much the same reasons you listed. Bravo, sir!

·
Senior Freek
1,814 Posts
IMO, there are three main reasons to use a VPN: 1) you're using unsecured networks and want to help prevent packet sniffing and a man-in-the-middle attack from capturing your browsing. Maybe you're at Starbucks and need to quickly check your bank statement, for instance. Use a VPN to help increase your level of security on their unsecured network.
2) obfuscate your origin IP to help stop tracking and targeted ads, as Robotaz suggested.
3) To access content that would otherwise be blocked to you based on your geographical location which is attached to your IP.

Nothing is perfect, nothing is 100% secure/private, and that doesn't take away from their use. It is important to know their limitations, and as long as you're not intentionally doing a lot of illegal activity, I would not worry at all about whether or not a bit of effort can reveal your true IP address. If you are into illegal activity, you never do that from home. That is not an endorsement to do anything illegal.*

·
Senior Freek
1,814 Posts

Side note, if you want a good zero knowledge cloud service I really like Tresorit. It isn't cheap, though it has a good track record and strong encryption. The windows and linux desktop apps work well, so does the iOS app where I back up my photos to it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Side note, if you want a good zero knowledge cloud service I really like Tresorit. It isn't cheap, though it has a good track record and strong encryption. The windows and linux desktop apps work well, so does the iOS app where I back up my photos to it.
A year ago I would have paid anything for good services. Not anymore. I go as cheap as possible and deal with the downfalls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts