Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am sure most of us on here are aware of the ratings and what they actually mean. That said, I have watched several reviews where it is evident that isn't the case. The rating is the the static pressure, therefore any movement once in the water will significantly increase the pressure.
30m splash proof
50m OK to shower with
100m swimming and snorkelling
200m shallow diving
300m+ more serious diving

Amongst the myths is the need for a screw in crown. A screw in crown assures the crown doesn't pop out when in the water. Great idea, but I have never known that happen as yet. The gasket is generally on the stem rather than the crown, so the crown screwing down does not make any difference. I must emphasize there are exceptions to this, so if you do have a screw down crown make sure you use it. I have previously dived with dive watches without a screw down crown without issue. I used to own a fashion brand watch purchased in the early 90s, at which time I was not an enthusiast. The watch was rated at 100m, had no screw down crown or back. I did a 20m dive in Turkey and not a drop did it leak. I owned an inexpensive Corgeut homage diver, which did have a screw down crown and back. The rating was only 30m, but I didn't believe it. I swashed it around in water, then left it for 24 hours, again no leakage.

I think my point is that if a watch has no ISO rating, it's probably hit or miss, and your knowledge may determine what you do with it.

Super Moderator
Another great topic Mrs. Wiggles, and yowza what a revelation to
find out about screw down crowns. 馃槻 Just have always thought
if the crowns weren't screwed in, that water would seep into the
watch, and ruin it. Or at least damage it. So this is really something
here, and interesting to find out about.

To tell the truth, I never even get my watches that wet, and it's
usually just rain, or snow that I really deal with. So all of the
water resistance capabilities are basically unused by me. It's
kind of like knowing how much horse power a car has, but not
actually using the power. It's just nice knowing it's there. 馃檪

Just is fun to talk about MW. Thanks so much !

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Another great topic Mrs. Wiggles, and yowza what a revelation to
find out about screw down crowns. 馃槻 Just have always thought
if the crowns weren't screwed in, that water would seep into the
watch, and ruin it. Or at least damage it. So this is really something
here, and interesting to find out about.

To tell the truth, I never even get my watches that wet, and it's
usually just rain, or snow that I really deal with. So all of the
water resistance capabilities are basically unused by me. It's
kind of like knowing how much horse power a car has, but not
actually using the power. It's just nice knowing it's there. 馃檪

Just is fun to talk about MW. Thanks so much !
If the watch has a screw down crown, and it is left out the watch may well leak, that isn't what I meant. The crown should always be in when the watch is immersed, but if it doesn't have a screw down crown it doesn't mean the watch will leak as long as the crown is pushed in and has a gasket on the stem.

Super Moderator
If the watch has a screw down crown, and it is left out the watch may well leak, that isn't what I meant. The crown should always be in when the watch is immersed, but if it doesn't have a screw down crown it doesn't mean the watch will leak as long as the crown is pushed in and has a gasket on the stem.

Got you Mrs. Wiggles ! (y)(y)

Had thought maybe I was reading that wrong, and it was too good
to be true. 馃槃 Thank you once again for the insight about this !

Registered
Great topic!

Only thing I would add is that a watch that has not been serviced recently may no longer be as water-resistant to the claimed degree as the rubber seals weaken with age.

In addition, keep your vintage / older watches, even dive watches with screw down crowns, away from water. That means no showering, swimming, snorkling or diving, as the cases / casebacks / crystals / crowns can start to deform with age, usage, wear, knocks, dings, screwing the crown in/out hundreds or thousands of times, screwing the case-back in/out repeatedly, and may no longer offer much, if any, water resistance.

For instance, I took my 27 year old Tag Heuer 2000 for a service at my trusted watchmaker as the seals gave out and condensation was starting to accumulate on the inside. He replaced all of the seals and when I asked if I could still use it for swimming / showering etc, he said no, it's not worth the risk for the reasons mentioned above.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Great topic!

Only thing I would add is that a watch that has not been serviced recently may no longer be as water-resistant to the claimed degree as the rubber seals weaken with age.

In addition, keep your vintage / older watches, even dive watches with screw down crowns, away from water. That means no showering, swimming, snorkling or diving, as the cases / casebacks / crystals / crowns can start to deform with age, usage, wear, knocks, dings, screwing the crown in/out hundreds or thousands of times, screwing the case-back in/out repeatedly, and may no longer offer much, if any, water resistance.

For instance, I took my 27 year old Tag Heuer 2000 for a service at my trusted watchmaker as the seals gave out and condensation was starting to accumulate on the inside. He replaced all of the seals and when I asked if I could still use it for swimming / showering etc, he said no, it's not worth the risk for the reasons mentioned above.
Yes, I would agree with all of that. Most of us have newer dive style watches, so keep the old ones away from water (y)

Registered

I def wouldn't try this with any 60's Accutron Astronaut watches, the seal on the setting handle is hard as a rock now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts