Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an inexpensive watch winding case. Holds 12 watches, but only winds 8 of them. The unit sits flat on a desk or counter. The watches are tilted at about a 15 degree angle, no more than that. Some of my watches are not winding and some are. Is this because nearly horizontal is not an optimum angle to wind an auto wind watch?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Another possibility is the way your winder is programmed. Certain movements may have different requirements as far as wind direction and turns per day. Ideally, you will have just enough TPD to keep a watch, already fully wound, running. Orbita has a database with winder programming info.

http://www.orbita.com/database-search/

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it's programmable. One Direction and goes off for an hour three or four times a day. Maybe I need to spend more money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I don't think it's programmable. One Direction and goes off for an hour three or four times a day. Maybe I need to spend more money

Some watches have movements that aren't bi-directional (Miyota) and if they aren't turning in the right direction won't wind.

Check your watches.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I agree on movement differences

Its odd since our wrists are not perfectly aligned
Anyone have a watch not winding when worn?

I remember my Rolex never would wind enough on my wrist and I wore it 24/7

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My maybe I should switch the direction of my daily regimen of 100 cartwheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My maybe I should switch the direction of my daily regimen of 100 cartwheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hourly, don't forget. :rolleyes:

As suggested, raise the back corners upwards to acheive about a 40 degree angle. This should assist gravity. If your unit is not programmable, and you feel you're not getting enough winds, or to many, plug into a digital timer. They are cheap.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
This thread is making a great case for a Quartz watch.

Reactions: desk_diver

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I've had that issue before... Some watch rotors spin more freely than others and then it also depends on how much tension there is on the mainspring among other things. Now I only use winders that keep the rotor on a vertical plane... Problem solved.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Roarry and okcmco

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I increased the angle to 40 or 50°. About as far as it will go without tipping over. And it seems to be working. I'll let you know after a couple of days

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Fellow Freeks:
I have 2 winders for 5 automatics.
They are cheepie winders for sure.
In regard to winding, I've found I get the best results by programming
them to spin in a counter clockwise direction. Obviously one watch cant be
wound because of lack of space on both winders. But no problemo. Its a piece
that is handwindable. And I wind it daily by hand.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Fellow Freeks:
I have 2 winders for 5 automatics.
They are cheepie winders for sure.
In regard to winding, I've found I get the best results by programming
them to spin in a counter clockwise direction. Obviously one watch cant be
wound because of lack of space on both winders. But no problemo. Its a piece
that is handwindable. And I wind it daily by hand.

Lou Snutt
Bidirectional is the way to go with at least three options as to the cycles of turning... Unless you're winding a Valjoux 7750 or derivative (clockwise only) or an Asian (Chinese-Seagull for example) movement which only winds counter-clockwise... Find a setting that keeps them running and if it doesn't have a timer you might think about getting one although you cannot over wind an automatic with rotation only... In any case, take them off the winder once in a while to let the mainspring relax for a few days or weeks... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I've had two of the Brookstone Quad Winders for over four years. I've heard some say they don't hold up well, but I've had no issues with mine. Here are their advantages:

* They'll handle nearly any size watch without flopping around, even those with bulky straps or bracelets.
* They're fully programmable for direction (clockwise, counter clockwise, both) and they have 11 different settings for turns per day.
* Each watch on the winder can be programmed independently.
* it's quiet.
* No LED lights, so it's suitable for a bedroom.
* An optional battery pack is available for storage in a safe.
* Excellent bang for the buck.

Disadvantages:

* There have been complaints about winder modules that stop working, but not by me (fingers crossed). I'm pretty sure they're made in China, but you won't get German craftsmanship anywhere close to this price range.
* They are somewhat bulky.

http://www.brookstone.com/watch-winders-quad/618009p.html

Reactions: BigTime738

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
This thread is making a great case for a Quartz watch.
And this is why i'm phasing out auto's from my collection.. Even if you get the winder to work they still have to be reset every week or so, just too much maintenance for me. just my .02

Reactions: BigTime738
1 - 18 of 18 Posts