Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note that the new Citizen Eco-Drive One has models as thin as under 3mm claimed. None of the ultra thin Citizen models include a date ring and MSRP prices start at circa $3000. Reminds me of some years ago, pre quartz as I recall, when some Swiss mechanical watches bragged about their thinness. At the other extreme I note that some of the TV sales Invicta watchess and at least one Armitron Digi-Ana model are listed as in the 19mm thickness range. Is there still a special attraction for u;tra thin watches? Based on the Citizen models I would guess that there is but it seems rare for makers to brag about it.

Anyone know what is the current thinnest mechanical watch and digital quartz watch? Also what is the thickest wrist watch you would be willing to wear?

8,259 Posts

8,259 Posts
For quartz, the Concord Delirium IV at 0.98mm. Too thin to wear. I didn't know about the mechanicals, I just searched for it. (Google is one's best friend........).

8,259 Posts
And of course a December 2021 post by me: "I have told the following before but Concord managed to make a quartz watch 0.98 mm thin, the Delirium IV back in 1980. No, this is not a typo. Less than 1 mm! Now the story: as a teenager my parents lived above two watchmakers (brothers) and I used to hang out there. And some day one of them told me he visited a trade show where the Delirium I was introduced (1979). 1.98 mm thick (or thin). I will never forget his remark on this: "when you flex your wrist, the crystal will pop off". Not true but that's how he viewed that watch. Incredible engineering all done by ETA by the way".

· Super Moderator
20,948 Posts
This is a incredibly interesting topic Astro, not to mention response
here above Frans. 😎😎 ..I honestly did not know, or at least, quite
remember what the thinnest watches are or were, so thanks so
much for the lessons. 🏆🥇

On the whole thick vs thin watches theme, I really don’t have any
rule, rules, or boundaries on what is too thick or too thin Astro. If
the watch calls to me it could be extra thick or ultra thin and it
would not matter to me. 😊(y) But I guess for a lot of Watch fans
they do like thin watches because they can fit more stealthily under
a shirt, or feel like they are wearing nothing.

In addition, people do seem to like the engineering that goes into
making a watch be thin. From the movement design, to the case is
often very attractive for people.

No matter how you slice it is a fantastic discussion, so thanks very
very much for posting about it !!!

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GoodWatch;
I found those with a Google search after I posted but definitely way out of my price range at prices from 400,000 Swiss Franks to 1,750,000 Euros. They make the Citizen 2.95mm Eco-Drive look like a real bargain in comparison. Interesting article though.

8,259 Posts
I regard those ultra thin watches (some I find not very appealing) as an exercise in technology. Pushing the envelope to see what is possible but serving no practical use. Like one of my dive watches that is able to withstand 600 BAR pressure. (The same manufacturer now has a model that boasts a certified 2500 BAR pressure resistance with a case hight of close to 23mm.). It's nice to see that efforts like these are still made but to the average Joe they are meaningless. Do I like thin watches? Yes but not less than 'After Eight' thin. Particularly for when it comes to dress watches (like the Chopard L.U.C. 1.96), I like them not too thin but proportional to the case size. 3mm? Meh.

Mostly mechanical, especially skeletons
66 Posts
Thick or thin, if you wear it with pride, nothing else really matters!

Personally, as an appreciator and wearer, I have to say that I prefer thicker watches to thin ones. Must be something about heft and presence. Most in my collection are between 10 and 13mm. I also like the attention my wrist attracts from wearing a watch (I do have a vain vein) and find that a 22mm does much better in that department than a 6mm. (Maybe I don't have the right 6mm)
As a collector, the want of owning an ultraslim is certainly there as a novelty.
From a watch company's point of view, I totally see the challenge in designing and creating thin, and understand why the big boys compete in this category. More prestige to them!
As a fixer, modder and decorator, it's obvious why I prefer thick to thin. Besides being easier to work on, there just is more room under the dome to play with and get creative: fat crystals, chapter rings, internal bezels, thick dials, multiple hands, complications, animations, multi level indexes, lume, subdials....

· Watch Freek
81 Posts
my preference for thickness is I try to stay 15 or under. thre are factors that come into play that can make a 15 wear "thicker" or thinner, like lug design, mid case shape, case back design, bezel thickness etc. But 15 is my max, over that it is just top heavy and uncomfortable for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts