Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started making my own straps a few months back after acquiring my first Panerai. Honestly I love the straps and making my own maybe more than the Panerai. Alright that was a lie but it’s a whole lot of fun.
This is my personal stash so far with no slowing down in the future.
Please join me in showing off your strap collection. I have a few more but these are my home made keepers.

IG @dirtysouthstraps

·
Senior Novice
3,186 Posts
Those look great brother. See you added a couple beaver colors after your initial success, well done.
I've been browsing tools for a couple months or so. I'd like to piddle/mod watches, but strap work seems more practical for now, or for the much sooner future. It seems like something I could bounce in and out of when time allows and it's interesting. That's a lot of fine work with some fine hides, I'm partial to the old belt. Which is your personal favorite and is the beaver supple and pliable?

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just depends how thick it is. If you thin it out a little is very soft. Thicker will hold its form but is still not very stiff. It’s some nice stuff.

IG @dirtysouthstraps

·
Aspiring Expert
1,882 Posts
I'm not a strap guy myself, I prefer bracelets...

·
Senior Novice
3,186 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience with bracelets, three to be exact. The Juggernaut I have on a bracelet is very comfortable, but the black bay is not, the strap is much more comfortable. This makes me wonder if the Deep Blue would feel even better on a proper strap. Presentation is definitely effected when you swap to a strap, my wife seems to prefer my black bay on the strap I finally tried on it.

I do like the look of this bracelet.

·
2,432 Posts

Like AW, I like this one too. Proprietary Bulova Accutron design. The other two may be technically exclusive too, but they're derivatives of common bracelets.

But I'm missing the bracelet gene and never wear them. Plus this is BigAL's thread about strap makers. Al - where would you point a beginner toward getting all the supplies to start making his own?

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like AW, I like this one too. Proprietary Bulova Accutron design. The other two maybe technically exclusive too, but they're derivatives of common bracelets.

But I'm missing the bracelet gene and never wear them. Plus this is BigAL's thread about strap makers. Al - where would you point a beginner toward getting all the supplies to start making his own?
I really dig that second bracelet. Bracelets are cool too.

I recommend Amazon to get started on tools.
These guys are a great supplier for some good leather options. Leathercraft Supplies

I also like the unique offerings these guys have. District Leather Supply

Either place you can get small pieces of great leather for cheap to start working.

IG @dirtysouthstraps

·
Aspiring Expert
1,882 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with bracelets, three to be exact. The Juggernaut I have on a bracelet is very comfortable, but the black bay is not, the strap is much more comfortable. This makes me wonder if the Deep Blue would feel even better on a proper strap. Presentation is definitely effected when you swap to a strap, my wife seems to prefer my black bay on the strap I finally tried on it.

I do like the look of this bracelet.
Like AW, I like this one too. Proprietary Bulova Accutron design. The other two may be technically exclusive too, but they're derivatives of common bracelets.

I really dig that second bracelet. Bracelets are cool too.

I recommend Amazon to get started on tools.
These guys are a great supplier for some good leather options. Leathercraft Supplies

I also like the unique offerings these guys have. District Leather Supply

Either place you can get small pieces of great leather for cheap to start working.

IG @dirtysouthstraps
Ah yes, The Kreisler Coffin Link is a crowd pleaser!

·
Watch Freek
851 Posts
I started making my own straps a few months back after acquiring my first Panerai. Honestly I love the straps and making my own maybe more than the Panerai. Alright that was a lie but it’s a whole lot of fun.
This is my personal stash so far with no slowing down in the future.
Please join me in showing off your strap collection. I have a few more but these are my home made keepers.

IG @dirtysouthstraps
That's amazing. How did you learn, and what equipment did you have to buy?

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's amazing. How did you learn, and what equipment did you have to buy?
I watched a bunch of YouTube videos. There’s quite a few good ones. I made a note of the tools I needed from there. Found a basic kit on Amazon. Don’t remember what kit because there’s so many that are pretty much the same with different names. Later I picked up a couple different pricking punch sets and threads. The basic kit has enough to get started.

IG @dirtysouthstraps

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot. I’m really interested to see what straps you guys have. More or less for my own inspiration. Always looking for unique straps for ideas.

IG @dirtysouthstraps

·
Super Moderator
12,419 Posts
Wow, that is astounding Al ! 👀🏆🥇Didn't realize you made your own
straps like this. 🤯(y)(y) ..Seriously looks as if you have been making
straps for years. I mean they look incredible, along with incredibly detailed
honestly ! o_O:cool: And you learned it all from watching videos?! 😲Well that
is amazing in itself ! But have to say that you must have some real talent
too. Because am not sure watching a video would give me the ability to
do anything close to what you have done with this beauties !

It's really just THE best getting to hear about this Al ! Not to mention see
all of those !!! :D

Honestly feel like I need to get more into straps, because I really don't
have any.😊I usually keep my watches in stock form bracelet, and
strap wise. Although in the last couple years have been adding NATO
straps to vintage watches I've picked up. Mainly because often times
the watches didn't come with straps. 😊

In any case, so cool Al ! Thank you once again, and you to for the
look at those bracelets Steve !!!

·
3,635 Posts
Thanks a lot. I’m really interested to see what straps you guys have. More or less for my own inspiration. Always looking for unique straps for ideas.
IG @dirtysouthstraps
I'm a bracelet person but appreciate the skill that goes into this craft and as a horse person, I love leather.
Had this one made for a Seiko chronograph known by the same name.

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a bracelet person but appreciate the skill that goes into this craft and as a horse person, I love leather.
Had this one made for a Seiko chronograph known by the same name.
View attachment 134197
View attachment 134199
Nice. I just ordered a few pieces of different bridle leathers to try out. Hopefully it’s not too stiff for straps. Otherwise I’ll do what I can to soften it up. I’m hopeful that it will be some good stuff. Always a gamble ordering leather online. Even watch straps for that matter.

IG @dirtysouthstraps

·
3,635 Posts
The strap I had made is a tad on the stiff side and I'm hoping/sure it will soften up nicely with regular use. What technique/method do you apply to soften up a small piece of leather like a watch strap other than regular use?

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The strap I had made is a tad on the stiff side and I'm hoping/sure it will soften up nicely with regular use. What technique/method do you apply to soften up a small piece of leather like a watch strap other than regular use?
Some leather conditioner and lots of flexing. Shouldn’t take much to get better. Some creases from flexing and rolling it adds a lot of character also. Kinda the same thing you would do to a new baseball glove. Just work it.

IG @dirtysouthstraps

·
3,635 Posts
Nice. I just ordered a few pieces of different bridle leathers to try out. Hopefully it’s not too stiff for straps.
IG @dirtysouthstraps
Bridle leather is great for straps and belts. Generally nice and soft to the touch. I've used a lot of bridle leather (tack blanks) from the US and it's very good quality

·
Long Time Member
109 Posts
Not my picture, but one of my favorites...

Reactions: AranaWhite
1 - 20 of 30 Posts