Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Since dedward has chosen to leave the forum based on the fact that he feels people tend to down his watches that are not a certain size, I kind of wondered what people think now and thought in the past about watch sizes.

The following are just my thoughts only, no need for anybody to get offended or nasty...keep it civil.

Recently huge watches have become the in thing...50mm watches with some folks even begging for 60 and bigger. The TV sales folks have used a sales tactic of telling you that 40mm watches are womens size and imply a real man does not wear such a watch. One TV guy claims to have sold all of his 40mm watches.

I fell into that line of thinking and watches I bought just kept getting bigger and bigger, and I thought OH WOW, these 40mm watches are just sissy looking. Strange, just a few years ago these 40mm watches looked great...and nothing has changed, just got overly influenced by the party line...you gotta have a big watch to be a man.

I have learned that I do like some of the 50mm watches...47-48 is even better. However, the 40mm divers still look great, just like they used to.

I think the only time size really matters is with extreme wrist sizes...I mean a 50-55mm looks silly on a toothpick wrist, and a 38mm looks kind of weird on a 10 inch wrist. For most of us however a 50mm can look fine, and a 40mm looks fine and everything in between.

IMO it is more of the design of the watch...at 40mm the Rolex diver style and all the many look-alikes dont have to be huge, they are just pretty watches at the size they are. At 50mm some designs look good just because of the design itself, and really has nothing to do with its actual size.

On the other hand, there are silly looking watches in all size ranges. Some of the new 50-55mm designs look just awful...but they are "manly" in size and some people just love them and figure, "Its so big so its cool!!!"

If you constantly wear a 50mm, sure a 40 is going to look small when you put it on...and if you wear a 40 then a 50 is going to look enormous. Like a new pair of shoes, compared to your old ones, the new ones might take some getting used to, but they generally end up looking pretty good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,155 Posts
imported post

My MM is 44mm and then it has the big crown protector which makes it feel like a larger watch. For me it is not about the case size, but the overall size including the crowns.

This TOTALLY opens up a lot of other watches that are 44 or 45mm but have larger outer cases and crowns. A perfect example is my Seiko 5 Diver which is 44mm if that, but the overall size with everything is about 48-50mm and the overall size of the watch is perfect for me.

So 44mm is my bottom size depending on the rest of the watch case.

Now a little summary. I read EVERY SINGLE post on this forum and I estimate (from reading all of the posts) that 95-98% of the current members are fine with watches that range from 40mm and up. Sure there are a few that only wear larger watches, but I find nothing really wrong with that either. Personal preference will ALWAYS be different for everyone.

Also, I want to add that it is not just the TV salespeople that push larger watches. Watches HAVE gotten larger and almost all brands offer much larger sizes then ever before. Citizens have 47-48mm watches (over 50 with the pushers and crowns), Breitlings have always been larger watches and so on and so on. People have gotten larger in our society and so has everything else. Also fads and trends come and go so who knows what the future will bring in the industry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,155 Posts
imported post

watchcollector1968 wrote:
How big is that Citizen Orca you have? That is one great looking watch...I can see one in my future!!!
by my unprofessional measurements
1) the inner dial / crystal area is 30mm
2) the case without crown is 45mm
3) the entire watch with crown is around 47mm

but the way the bezel is literally almost 3 dimensional gives it a big feel. On top of the size it is SUPER light.

Online sale listings have the following, so I was pretty close.
Approx measurements:
Case diameter : 48mm including crown, 45mm excluding crown
Case thickness : 14 mm

:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

I think I've stated my preferences several times but once more won't hurt. I prefer 45-48mm total diameter watches. I am a big man but find the 50+ sizes uncomfortable for the most part. I owned a RDQ and, after several attempts with different straps, traded it away. I loved the look but just couldn't wear it. I have tried other 50mm watches and my issue may be more how heavy they tend to be as opposed to the actual size. I would like to try a larger size watch in a titanium case and bracelet. I too have an Orca and I find it so comfortable and light because of the titanium case and the rubber strap. It is almost weightless on my wrist. I agree with TV that the Orca wears bigger because of the crystal guards on the bezel and the large hands and lume spots. I can't understand why this watch is being phased out by Citizen but if you don't already own one you should consider it soon. They may get hard to find.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
imported post

It still comes down to the individual; if 40mm is too small or 50mm is too big.....who cares? I have a preference like everyone else but stating it at this point is irrelevant. I like everyone's posts for the most part and feel that I learn something new everyday. I believe that we are fundamentally a respectful and supportive bunch but don't believe for a minute that we all "love" every watch that another owns (that would be silly). I think that every watch that I own is very cool........that's why I own them. I don't own them because they met the approval of some forum.

Anything subjective is well.......subjective. Me not liking something subjective in nature is not a slight on the person that likes it. If the validity of one's collection is contingent on the opinion of others well, they might be collecting for all the wrong reasons. It's supposed to be fun and enjoyed by the collector.
Just my early morning ramblings, thanks for listening.

CJ


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
imported post

. . . black cars, white cars, cars painted colours. White bread, whole wheat. Desk top, lap top. Some of our decisions are made up entirely from appearance, some are made from what we like, and others are made from what we need. No right, no wrong.

I am big enough to be able to wear a 50mm watch, but I just don't like the look. The last of my concerns is what another man chooses to wear on his wrist, not a hill to die on. I am, however, an extremely opinionated individual . . . . the key word in that being "individual" . . . . we are all individuals.

Good thing too . . . .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,341 Posts
imported post

These threads have been started many times.........whats the size you wear, whats the lowest youll go, the highest youll go, etc........as others have said......wear what you like, and dont care about what anyone else says......im 6"1, have a ton of tattoos, started going bald at 22, wear earings, a huge skull ring.......at this point, do you think i care if someone doesnt like the size of my watch? I go up and down in size of my watches.......in the end, its what feels comfortable and looks good to ME!!!, and not anyone else, depending on the watch, it could be a 45mm or 44, or it could be a 50.......if you think it looks like a dinner plate on my wrist, or if i wearing a 44mm and you say it looks small, or its a girls watch......laugh it off and who cares.......its just like anything else, clothes, shoes, etc, etc, .....how many times can we have these convos, everyone likes something else....and like Randy said......thats a good thing!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,155 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
These threads have been started many times.........whats the size you wear, whats the lowest youll go, the highest youll go, etc........as others have said......wear what you like, and dont care about what anyone else says......im 6"1, have a ton of tattoos, started going bald at 22, wear earings, a huge skull ring.......at this point, do you think i care if someone doesnt like the size of my watch? I go up and down in size of my watches.......in the end, its what feels comfortable and looks good to ME!!!, and not anyone else, depending on the watch, it could be a 45mm or 44, or it could be a 50.......if you think it looks like a dinner plate on my wrist, or if i wearing a 44mm and you say it looks small, or its a girls watch......laugh it off and who cares.......its just like anything else, clothes, shoes, etc, etc, .....how many times can we have these convos, everyone likes something else....and like Randy said......thats a good thing!!!!
you are going bald?

lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,341 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:
These threads have been started many times.........whats the size you wear, whats the lowest youll go, the highest youll go, etc........as others have said......wear what you like, and dont care about what anyone else says......im 6"1, have a ton of tattoos, started going bald at 22, wear earings, a huge skull ring.......at this point, do you think i care if someone doesnt like the size of my watch? I go up and down in size of my watches.......in the end, its what feels comfortable and looks good to ME!!!, and not anyone else, depending on the watch, it could be a 45mm or 44, or it could be a 50.......if you think it looks like a dinner plate on my wrist, or if i wearing a 44mm and you say it looks small, or its a girls watch......laugh it off and who cares.......its just like anything else, clothes, shoes, etc, etc, .....how many times can we have these convos, everyone likes something else....and like Randy said......thats a good thing!!!!
you are going bald?

lol
you have more freckles than a red headed little girl? :pk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
imported post

Boys, we got a big snow heading our way, im heading down farther south towards the border in an hour, i will give you guys a shout when i get back to civilization, Ron, James, Randy and all, Be Safe my friends !!!!!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

Enjoy you time Brother!



BW-1 wrote:
Boys, we got a big snow heading our way, im heading down farther south towards the border in an hour, i will give you guys a shout when i get back to civilization, Ron, James, Randy and all, Be Safe my friends !!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
imported post

BW-1 wrote:
Boys, we got a big snow heading our way, im heading down farther south towards the border in an hour, i will give you guys a shout when i get back to civilization, Ron, James, Randy and all, Be Safe my friends !!!!!!!!
. . . wind at your back my friend . . . .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,155 Posts
imported post

Be safe!!!!! Nothing more important then that.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top