1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reviewer: James aka TVDinner

Watch / Models Being Reviewed: Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5

Review Info & Background -
I became aware of Blacklist watches when they launched their first successful campaign on Kickstarter about 14 months ago. I reached out to the owner of the brand Justin Eterovich to learn more about his company. Mr. Eterovich was very open to discuss the Blacklist brand. The model being reviewed today is the second Kickstsarter campaign from the Blacklist watches and first automatic model. Mr. Eterovich was kind enough to provide one of the prototypes of the new Streetmatic automatic model line for this review.

Blacklist Watches Company Web Links:

Main Site
- http://www.blacklistwatches.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/BlacklistWatches

Kickstarter campaign for the Blacklist Streetmatic Automatic Model - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklist/streetmatic-the-ultimate-driving-watch-by-blacklis

About Blacklist Watches: From the Blacklist website (Source - http://www.blacklistwatches.com/pages/about-us )

Blacklist is the automotive enthusiast’s watch brand, designed in California, made in Switzerland. Motivated by our love for supercars, our designs feature colors and materials that can be seen on some of the most iconic of automobiles. In the world of high end supercars, carbon fiber is everywhere, so we really wanted to showcase its unique, sleek and sexy look on our watches. Our Mission: To create the ultimate driving watch.

Blacklist Watches Company Contact Info:

Company is based in California
Company Email:

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5
Specs

Limited Edition of 300.
The S5 features Stainless Steel accents.
Case: Brushed & Polished Stainless Steel
Case Diameter: 44mm
Band: Brushed & Polished Stainless Steel
Band Width: 22x20mm
Clasp: Double Locking
Dial: Carbon fiber with Applied Indexes
Case Back: Exhibition
Water Resistance: 10 ATM (330 Ft)
Luminescent: Hands and Indexes
Crystal: Sapphire
Movement: Swiss Made Automatic (ETA 2824-2)
- Sweep Seconds
- Date
Kickstarter price - $649 USD First 100 orders. $699 USD after those have sold out (available on through Kickstarter)
After the MSRP will be $1299

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Box and Packaging:

The first thing I noticed is the weight of the box and packaging. Many nicer watches arrive in a heavy wood watch boxes with higher end padding and watch pillows included. The Streetmatic arrives in a box that is the same high quality as what comes many of the nicer/luxury brands I have owned in the past.

As shown below the outer box is heavy cardboard with the Blacklist name/logo on top.
The main presentation watch box is polished, shiny, and heavy. It is made of solid wood with quality hinges and inner padding. The Blacklist logo is printed on the inner top pocket that holds a leather card case with the warranty info/cards.

You can see the padded soft surface area between the actual watch and sides of the case.
The watch box is nice enough to be used to display and protect the watch when not wearing it.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 First Look

Without question the first thing I noticed about this watch was the carbon fiber dial. It looks different depending on the angle you view it or under various lighting sources. In all instances the carbon fiber dial has a very cool 3-D look. I also noticed the over-sized 12 and 6 on the dial. The watch is very easy to read, especially with the addition of the outer ring with individual markers for the seconds.

Lastly the watch has a polished bezel and polished center links of the bracelet. The contrast with the brushed sides of the case and outer links of the bracelet creates a casual and sporty initial first feel/impression of this model.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5
Non Crown Side

This is a very clean watch. I found the finishes on all surfaces of the watch consistently applied with no noticeable imperfections.
On the non crown side below you can see how the watch feels and looks taller (to me) then its listed 12mm size (in my opinion).

The Streetmatic sits very flat/snugly on the wrist.
It felt comfortable and evenly weighted across the top when wearing.
The lugs angle down on both sides helping the watch case hug the natural curve of your wrist.

One of my personal favorite features of the watch is the bezel. You can see below how it angles down and outward. The contrast between the polished bezel and the brushed side of the case work well together on the Streetmatic.
Again in the picture below you can see how flat this watch sits on the top of your wrist. The 50mm lug to lug size is perfect in my opinion (see measurements below in second post)

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Crown Side

Similar clean look on the crown side of the case.
You can see the crown that is stamped/branded with the Blacklist logo "B". Nice touch and very even/clean engraving.

Again the watch sits flatly on the wrist. As previously mentioned above you can see that the watch looks taller then it's 12mm listed height.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Bracelet

The bracelet is a 3 row style with a combination of brushed (outside) and polished (center) links. The contract works, especially with the polished bezel on the case.

The bracelet is 22mm at the case and tapers slightly to 20mm at the clasp. The links are approx 4mm thick. Overall this size/configuration works for the Streetmatic and a watch of this style and size. If I am nitpicking I would like to see the bracelet not taper and stay 22mm from the case to the clasp. This would add additional weight overall to the bracelet. This is a personal preference as I typically lean towards heavier/thick bracelets.

The continuation of the polished surfaces from the bracelet to the bezel help "tie" both components together nicely. I found the brushing on the links to be evenly applied and consistent from link to link.

I have recently seen some new/smaller brands with sloppy brushing and the surfaces look different from piece to piece. That is not the case with the Streetmatic and finishes on all links and surfaces match up perfectly in my opinion.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Clasp

The clasp is stamped to continue the look and style of the bracelet. This is reminds me of the Rolex-style bracelets. I have not seem many new watch companies do this. They typically opt for a normal/standard clasp with their logo added. The continuation of the bracelet style is a nice touch.

Another picture of the bracelet and clasp on the wrist in different lighting. I included this picture so you could see how the polished and brushed links match up perfectly right through the clasp. Please also note the stamped/engraved BLACKLIST "B" on the clasp.

The clasp is a double locking deployment style with 3 micro adjustments. In my opinion EVERY watch brand should be required to include micro adjustments with every clasp to make sizing easier, but some don't. I was pleased to see the Streetmatic has micro adjustments included.

The bracelet measures 8" when it arrives. This picture also shows the 4mm thick bracelet links and adjustment options. I found the overall quality (thickness of the metal, ease of operation when closing/opening the clasp, micro adjustments) of the clasp to be standard with no real issues to report.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Exhibition Case Back

I was very pleased with the overall look of the Exhibition case back on the Streetmatic prototype model I reviewed. The company could have simply used the stock movement (see picture below in the movement section) and added their name. The prototype I reviewed has a gold rotor with black stamped letters. Personally I like this look a lot. The contrast next to the polished and engraved silver case back is really nice.

Also the company's name "BLACKLIST" is stamped with black color that also looks really good against the gold background in my opinion.

Please note: The final production models may have a slightly different color configuration for the movements as noted below. From the Kickstarter page -
The ETA movement comes in two main finishes, gold and silver. We used the gold movements for the samples, but if silver is available when we place the order, we will be purchasing silver movements and plating the rotors black
If the rotors end up being black I would like that also as the contrasting colors would be similar to the gold/silver combo on the one I reviewed here.

Another picture of the Streetmatic exhibition case back in different lighting. The engraved words are all even and very clean (even under close inspection)

You can also see the placement of the lugs and where the bracelet attaches to the case in the picture below.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Lume

The Streetmatic model has Swiss Super-LumiNova Hands & Dial Markers. As you can see in the image below the overall lum is bright on each of these locations.

On the prototype model I reviewed the brightness of the "12" and "6" were not as bright as the other markers and hands. I asked the company about this and received the following response (positive):

When we received the prototypes we immediately noticed that some of the Super-LumiNova was not consistently applied in some cases. This has already been corrected for the actual watches that customers will receive. On all of the final production models this will be corrected and evenly applied.

Overall I found the lume to be initially bright and then fade over the normal/expected amount of time. Personally I liked the fact that the minute/hour hands are almost fully lumed from top to bottom. This made reading the watch in the dark very easy.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Dial Review

I wanted to include a close up picture of the dial so everyone could get a good look at the carbon fiber background. I took about 100 pictures and it is extremely difficult to capture how much depth and dimension the carbon fiber dial has when viewing in different lights. The picture below shows it about as well as I could capture (and just looks really cool).

You can also see the polished bezel. With the width of the bezel not being as wide as you sometimes see, the actual dial opening area seems to be very large when wearing the Streetmatic. Basically the watch is all dial. The sapphire crystal is very clear as you can see in all of the images in this review.

Good view of the crown which was very easy to grab and manipulate for normal time setting, winding, or date changing functions.

Here is a "cut out" image of the dial I created to give you another view. You can clearly see the following:
1) applied indexes. I am always a fan of this on any watch.
2) main hands and second hand style and design
3) outer ring showing seconds markers
4) Outlined date window. In my opinion this is a must on all watches or the date window gets "lost" on the dial. This date window is very easy to read with the white background behind the date and black colored font.
5) the words Automatic, Swiss Made and the Blacklist name on the dial. I found all of the printing evenly applied and easy to read against the darker dial background

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Movement

This model has a Swiss Made ETA 2824 movement. This is one of the best known reliable movements in the watch world.

I wore this watch for 3 straight days and compared the time against my G-Shock that updates nightly with the Atomic Clock. I found the movement to be very accurate. Over the 3 days of wearing there was only a variation of 4-6 seconds.

The stock movement (before enhancements are made) looks like this -

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 On The Wrist and "Glam" Pics

As mentioned above, the carbon fiber dial on the Streetmatic model has a very unique and cool look. The dial looks slightly different when viewing in different light sources. I tried to capture this with images taken in different lights and with different backgrounds and colors.

The Streetmatic is listed at 44mm. Due to not having a wide bezel style the watch is basically all dial opening. It appears to "wear" larger on the wrist then its posted size.

I really like the polished slanted bezel that connects to the brushed side of the case. This further gives the watch a "wider" feel.

Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 Final Thoughts

This is the second release from BLACKLIST watches. Their first model (the Renegade) was a Swiss Made quartz model that featured a 48mm size and unique (very cool) over sized crown. I reviewed that model earlier this year on this site. It was a fun casual wear watch that did very well in the company's first Kickstarter campaign. But in my opinion the larger case size potentially did not appeal to people who prefer automatic movements or smaller sized watches. With the release of the Streetmatic line BLACKLIST has basically addressed both of these items by offering a new 44mm automatic model.

Overall thoughts: I found the Streetmatic watch to be both fun and a good "grab and wear" watch. It basically went with any outfit (clothing color) or situation (business or casual). The 12mm thickness made it possible to comfortably wear under a long sleeve dress shirt, but I found myself wearing the Streetmatic more with jeans and a pull over polo shirt. The carbon fiber dial and overall style to me was better suited in the casual setting (for me).
I did not find any major issues to report with the Streetmatic model. It is a solid automatic and at the $649 price point it is comparable to other Swiss Made automatic watches currently available.

As with all of my reviews there are a few picky items that I would suggest after spending some time with the Streetmatic. First I would personally like to see a 22mm bracelet that does not taper. The lume issue mentioned above seems to have been addressed and will not be an issue on the final production runs. For the final rotor decision I personally liked the contrast of the gold rotor with black lettering against the silver case. Really an appealing distinct look. If the rotor ends up black it will be consistent with the brands name and also probably have the same appealing contrast against the silver case, but I would have to see it to compare to the prototype I reviewed.

I believe that Blacklist will have another successful campaign with this model as it will appeal to a wide range of watch buyers. I would like to thank BLACKLIST watches again for providing this watch to Watch Freeks for the review.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Blacklist Watches Streetmatic S5 "Unofficial" Measurements

As with all of my reviews I do my own measurements to reconfirm the posted specs for the model.

Blacklist Streetmatic Case width is 44mm

Blacklist Streetmatic Bracelet is 22mm at the case

Blacklist Streetmatic Bracelet tapers to 20mm at the clasp

Blacklist Streetmatic Lug to Lug size is 50mm. In my opinion 50mm is the perfect lug to lug size for a watch.

The
Blacklist Streetmatic crown width is 7mm

The
Blacklist Streetmatic thickness of the watch is 12mm

The
Blacklist Streetmatic bracelet is 4mm thick

Blacklist Streetmatic S5 Stock Image - from Blacklist website

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Video from the Kickstarter page

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reading Jason. This was a fun watch to wear for a few days and review.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great Video. This watch looks very well done. Thanks for the post TV
The video is very slick and I love that car.

Thanks for reading and the feedback.

Reactions: #four

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very sleek looking watch. We'd probably also cause a little bit of trouble in that very nice looking car too :p
Appreciate the feedback, and yes, the car is amazing. That car Costs more then most people's houses, lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thank you everyone for the kind comments and James for the extensive review!

Just to let everyone know, this watch and 7 other models will be available on Kickstarter in the next couple days starting at $499USD. I will post the link when it's live!

If you have any questions for me, please let me know!

·
9,348 Posts
Great and thorough review as usual, James.
Thank you

I like the watch and think it's well priced for a Swiss made watch with an ETA Mvt.
It seems too tall when viewed from the lug side. The end link makes the watch look and wear taller. I think it'd look better on a nice strap. I admit I also I'm against polished bezel and center links. The end links would work better if the middle part was recessed in (Vs sticking out into the next link).
But overall a nice watch and well priced IMO.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Brice. Appreciate the comments and feedback.

I have not seen this watch on a strap, but imagine we will eventually. What type of strap would you think would go well with this case/design?

·
Super Moderator
14,608 Posts
Whoa, these are super sleek James !!! :thumb::thumb: Looks like Blacklist pulled out all the stops, and this is just a prototype too ! Yowza, they really seem to know what they are doing. From the packaging to the finishing on this beauty, you can tell everything is top notch. ..What's so neat is the watch has this seemingly subtle personality from a distance. Then as you really study your terrific pics you see that they've gone out of their way to dot all of the i's, and cross all of the t's. :smile-thumb: The case work, and brushing, the dial, along with hypnotic carbon fiber, yet clean look are exceptional. Even the movement is phenomenal, and it looks like it really is extra comfortable too ! It's again one of those watches that can take on any day, or occasion James. Which is just the best sir ! Really appreciate the look, and excellent review. Thanks very much !!!

·
9,348 Posts
Thanks Brice. Appreciate the comments and feedback.

I have not seen this watch on a strap, but imagine we will eventually. What type of strap would you think would go well with this case/design?
Without the watch in hand, it's hard but I think a grey/charcoal canvas or Horween black ash leather would look good on this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it'd look better on a nice strap. I admit I also I'm against polished bezel and center links. The end links would work better if the middle part was recessed in (Vs sticking out into the next link).
But overall a nice watch and well priced IMO.

Appreciate all the comments and feedback Brice!

Here are some pics on a Hodinkee dark brown leather strap. This one tappers down a bit. I think it would look stellar on a Black leather strap, either plain or with matching green stitching. Also looked awesome on that rubber strap Don put on it. Thoughts?

·
9,348 Posts
Appreciate all the comments and feedback Brice!

Here are some pics on a Hodinkee dark brown leather strap. This one tappers down a bit. I think it would look stellar on a Black leather strap, either plain or with matching green stitching. Also looked awesome on that rubber strap Don put on it. Thoughts?

Thanks. That looks good.
You guys have done a good job with this watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkblahblahah

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks. That looks good.
You guys have done a good job with this watch.

Thank you kind sir! I know you had mentioned you were not a huge fan of the polishing.

I don't want to tease, but this is a prototype of a blue dial i had made for fun. Had an extra case in a full brushed finish. I was pretty pleased how it came out.

·
9,348 Posts
Thank you kind sir! I know you had mentioned you were not a huge fan of the polishing.

I don't want to tease, but this is a prototype of a blue dial i had made for fun. Had an extra case in a full brushed finish. I was pretty pleased how it came out.

Now we're talking!! And blue is my favorite color :) !! Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkblahblahah

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The fully brushed bracelet and case is REALLY nice looking!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts