Watch Freeks banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Name of Reviewer: Mark (AKA andrema)

Watch Reviewed: Szanto Automatic Classic Round

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company Information:

Time Concepts, LLC
2301 Kerner Blvd, Suite A2
San Rafael, CA 94901
USA

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Szanto
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/szantotime/

About from Company Website:

Szanto (pronounced Sahn-tow) is a new collection of vintage inspired timepieces.

This American brand’s essence was conceived in California, where Szanto designers were captivated by the beauty and simplicity of old military watch designs from the early 20th century. These classic watches possess so much character but are too petite by contemporary standards.

Over the past few years, there has been a trend toward “vintage” that can be seen in all types of merchandise, and is very much present in the watch trade … particularly in the expensive luxury sector.

Szanto recognized an opportunity to update vintage designs of the past for today’s world, with larger sizes and the addition of quartz movements for improved accuracy and affordability, thereby making the collection accessible to a much wider audience.

Journey back in time with Szanto to the “Golden Age of Travel” – a time when craftsmen took pride in the quality of their workmanship, and a time when travel, whether by ocean liner, steam train or motor car was perceived as an adventure. Steamer trunks covered with stickers from exotic destinations like London, Cairo, Prague, Paris, Singapore, & Shanghai were common and iconic. In keeping with this tradition, each Szanto watch comes packed in its own mini travel trunk.
Take the grand tour of Szanto’s launch collection, featured on the following pages.

“Everything Old is New Again”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Szanto Automatic Classic Round

Stock Photo:

Watch Specifications:

- Case Material: 316L Stainless Steel
- Case Diameter: 43.0 mm
- Case Length: 48.0 mm
- Case Thickness: 12.0 mm
- Crystal: Mineral
- Dial Color: Black
- Movement: Japanese 21-Jewel Automatic
- Strap Material: Genuine Leather
- Lug Width: 22 mm
- Water resistance: 100 m

Available in four models: 6301 Black-Black / 6302 Black-Tan / 6303 Silver-Black / 6304 Brown-Brown

Price:
$425

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Packaging:

The Classic Round comes packaged in a custom leather case. The case is made to resemble a weathered travel trunk, with a distressed brown finish and brass corner protectors. This provides the case with quite a unique appearance and the design certainly goes along with the vintage theme of the company’s watch designs.

The case has nice appearance with good quality components used. The construction of the box itself is well done and it opens/closes firmly to hold the contents safely in place during transit.

Below is a close-up of the case’s top lid. As you can see, the company’s logo is embossed into the leather material and the weathered brass corner protectors are a nice touch.

The inside of the case is lined with a light tan cloth material. The watch sits on a matching pillow.

Case, Bezel and Crystal:

Just like its name suggests, the Classic Round has a classically shaped round case. The case is constructed from 316L stainless steel, with a high polished finish. The finishing on its rounded sides is nicely done and evenly applied throughout its surface.

Let me just say, due to the high reflective nature of this finish, this watch really was a challenge to photograph. Although beautifully done, I was often the subject of inadvertent reflections.

The case design is vintage inspired and reminiscent of a pocket watch shape, including its fixed bezel. Although the watch pays homage to designs of the past, its 43mm case is certainly sized for modern use.

The case has a rounded and flowing profile. As you can see from the photos below, the watch's wire style lugs integrate nicely into the case and have a nice downward slope to the wrist.

The Classic Round's mineral crystal sits just above the surface of the watch's bezel. This creates a nice aesthetic and helps to add some interest and additional sight lines to the watch's design.

The 22mm lugs on the watch are "wire style", but are not fixed. This design gives the illusion of the vintage wire lugs used in the past, but provides the functionality of springbars for interchangeability of straps as well as ease of use.

The watch's 316L stainless steel screw-in case back has a highly polished finish. The case back features the Szanto logo etched into its center, with the technical data for the watch around its outer diameter.

The watch has a nicely sized, 8mm crown. The crown is an onion style crown, with an polished finish and push-pull functionality. This style of crown is very appropriate for the design of this watch and it provides a nice, vintage vibe to the Classic Round's design.

The crown itself is easy to manipulate when setting the time and has a nice feel and action.

Dial and Hands:

The Classic Round's dial is black, with a deep guilloché style pattern engraved into it. The black tone of the dial is “oily black” in appearance and gives the appearance of being wet when it moves in the light. The engraving is rather nice and provides a nice dynamic, rich appearance to the watch.

For those of you who are not familiar with the term “Guilloché” (or Guilloche), it is used to describe an engraving technique that is utilized to carve a decorative pattern into a watch dial. This technique has been utilized since the mid-1800’s to add decorative details to pocket watch dials and continues until the current day for designing watches.

For more information on this technique, I highly recommend that you take the time to visit this very informative site on this fantastic process:
http://guilloche.org/

The dial has numeric hour indices painted on the dial, with a vintage themed font style. The numbers are painted in white Superluminova as a base, with a silver painted border. In addition, the Szanto name and Automatic are painted in white at the 12 o’clock and 8 o’clock positions of the dial, respectively. In addition, there is a white minute track painted around the perimeter of the dial.

The Miyota 8218 includes a small second complication, which is located between the 4 o'clock and 5 o'clock position on the dial. The small seconds subdial has white markings, with a font used similar to that used for the main dial. The subdial itself has a polished stainless steel border and is engraved with a circular pattern. The second had used is a traditional stick style hand, which is painted white to match the other white details of the dial.

Below is a close-up of the Szanto name painted on the dial. The painting is crisply done and stands out from the black, guilloché style engraving of the dial.

The hands of the Classic Round are poire squelette style hands. The hands have a high polished "blued" finish, with white Superluminova paint applied. This design works very well with this style case and finishes off the vintage vibe of the watch very nicely.

As you can see from the photos throughout this section, when light catches the hands, they really pop off the black dial. This is an attractive feature and helps with legibility of the time under various low lighting conditions.

As you can see from the photos, the Superluminova used on the dial and hands has a slightly greenish tone. The lume on the hands is extremely bright when charged and lasts a long time. However, the hour indices seem to be a bit thinner applied and, as a result, tend to glow less vividly as well as for a shorter period.

Strap:

The Classic Round comes with a 22mm custom black leather strap. The strap has a "stitchless" design and features a glossy finish. The finish of the strap has distressed technique applied to it, which gives it a cracked appearance. This finishing helps give the strap an aged look and goes along with the vintage theme of the watch.

At approximately 3mm in thickness, the strap provides sufficient stability for the watch head while being worn, but remains quite flexible at the same time. The strap is very comfortable out of the package.

The photo below provides a closer look at the strap's crackled finishing as well as the square adjustment holes used on the strap.

The backing of the strap is raw, unfinished leather. The leather is soft to the touch and has the Szanto name branded into its surface.

The Classic Round comes with a custom 316L stainless steel vintage styled "thumbnail" buckle with a high polished finish. The buckle itself is quite attractive, with the company's name engraved along its top surface as well as a cutout along its bottom edge to help it integrate nicely with the strap and sit flatter when worn.

Movement:

The Classic Round features a Citizen Miyota 8218 automatic watch movement. The movement features a two hand design for hour and minutes as well as a separate small second complication.

Citizen Miyota Caliber 8218

Technical Specifications:

Watch Functions:

For more information on the movement, please refer to the following link: http://miyotamovement.com/product/mechanical2.html#caliber-8217

Wrist Shots:

For reference purposes, my wrist is 7.25 inches.

The Classic Round measures 43.0mm in diameter and 48.0mm in length. With these dimensions, the watch is definitely in the "sweet spot" in regards to being the perfect size for MANY folks within WIS community. With this being said, the watch wears very comfortably on the wrist and will fit nicely on most wrist sizes.

Overall impression and final thoughts:

The Szanto Classic Round has a great vintage vibe, with a modern approach to sizing. Overall, the quality of the watch is nice and the components used work very well together to create a well-designed watch. It just all works together very well -- From the case shape, to the lug design, to the hands selected and the dial engraving...it all makes sense and creates a nice, unique, vintage inspired watch With this being said, I feel the watch is very well thought out and the total package provided is a pretty decent value at just over $400.

While preparing my review and evaluating the watch, I noticed a few features that could be improved or changed to accentuate the look and/or functionality of the watch. As I do with all of my reviews, I have compiled these points and have listed them below.

· The lume application on hour markers seems to be a tad thin. This causes a significant difference between the strength and duration of the lume glow, as compared to the super strong hand lume. To correct this, I would like to see thicker lume applied to even out the appearance of the markers while illuminated as well as provide a bit more longevity to their glow.

· Let me just say that I am a sucker for a date wheel that matches the dial. With this being said, I would have preferred that the background on the date wheel for this model been black, instead of white. With this being said, there is nothing wrong with the white background as it is currently designed...in fact, it probably is easier to locate and read as it is now.

Please note, these points are fairly nit-picky and the watch has a nice design and quality notwithstanding these two points. With this being said, I do like the Classic Round and feel that nicely designed, vintage inspired watch!

Well, that concludes my review …Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments ~
Mark

·
Super Moderator
4,808 Posts
Thank you - an informative review as always.

A good looker in a classic shape. For me however, the leaded glass type or "poire squellette" hands appear slightly overdone.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Very nice review as always Mark.

Szanto has been working up a good reputation with their releases, and this one is no different. Very sharp classic looking piece. I'd love a chance to see this one in the flesh one of these days.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Nice review and photos Mark. I love a new vintage design in a new watch. This is a bold approach and I agree with you that they pulled it off well. Love the dial colour and texture and the interesting colour and patterns of the hands. The case size and lugs all add to the vintage vibe and compliment and fit well together. I love the white date wheel as it helps me with visibility but I understand your point. Great job Szanto on a bold design and a great review Mark as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Beautiful watch and awesome review.

One thing to note though: The specs in the beginning list the crystal as mineral. In the review, you state that it is sapphire. At this price point, I am guessing that it is actually mineral.

If given the option, I would like to see sapphire crystal used, even if it added $100 to the price.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Your pictures in your reviews are really really amazing. Another great review.

Personally I am not a big fan of the lugs on this one (or any watch with similar lugs for that matter. Also, and I do not know why because I normally am a big fan of the sub dial for the seconds hand, but I just do not like the dial placement of the word "Automatic" next to the small seconds hand sub dial, next to the date window. Looks weird to me. JMHO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't get what these guys are going for.. low middle to upper middle? They are decent watches, and look nice.. but pick a demographic eh? I admit, I like every other Szanto that I've ever seen over mine but it's fine...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts