Reviewer: UKWolfeman
Watch was donated for review

Watch Being Reviewed: Szanto 5104 500m Dive Watch

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Szanto

Company Address:
2301 Kerner Blvd. Suite A
San Rafael, CA 94901

Email: [email protected]

About/History (Facebook Info): "Szanto (pronounced Sahn-tow) is a new collection of vintage inspired timepieces. This American brand’s essence was conceived in California, where Szanto designers were captivated by the beauty and simplicity of old military watch designs from the early 20th century. These classic watches possess so much character but are too petite by contemporary standards. Over the past few years, there has been a trend toward “vintage” that can be seen in all types of merchandise, and is very much present in the watch trade … particularly in the expensive luxury sector.
Szanto recognized an opportunity to update vintage designs of the past for today’s world, with larger sizes and the addition of quartz movements for accuracy and affordability, thereby making the collection accessible to a wider audience.

Journey back in time with Szanto to the “Golden Age of Travel” - a time when craftsmen took pride in the quality of their workmanship, and a time when travel, whether by ocean liner, steam train or motor car was perceived as an adventure. Steamer trunks covered with stickers from exotic destinations like London, Cairo, Prague, Paris, Singapore, & Shanghai were common and iconic. In keeping with this tradition, each Szanto watch comes packed in its own mini travel trunk. Take the grand tour of Szanto’s launch collection, featured on the following pages. “Everything Old is New Again” Szanto ….. Time Rediscovered."

Basic Specifications:
Case material - Stainless steel
Case diameter - 46.5 millimeters
Band Material - Leather
Band width - 24 millimeters
Movement - Japanese quartz
Water resistant depth - 500m
Price - $325 USD

Packaging: The 5104 comes with the same great packaging as with all Szanto models which is the trunk type design. As I mentioned in a past review it may not have the functionality of travel rolls or 2 watch zipper cases for people on the go but it can be a rather decorative piece to place on an entry table of your home to toss keys, spare changes or other odds and ends as you are coming and going.

Case: The case is made of 316L Stainless Steel with a lot of angular aspects from top to bottom around the case. The case design is not a design I have seen a lot with other watch brands so it would definitely provide a change of pace type design to a watch rotation. The case measures 46.5mm and right around 53mm including the crown. The case is 14mm in overall thickness which keep a somewhat low profile for medium sized dive style watch. The lug tip to lug tip measures around 55mm and the lug width 24mm. Taking into account all the specifications along with a rather hefty 147 grams in overall weight the watch is going to have a good amount of wrist presence but not feel overly cumbersome on the wrist. The watch comes with a 8mm x 5mm screw down crown is positioned at the 3 o'clock position between integrated crown guards. The crown is extremely easy to grasp and a buttery smooth action with no play or wiggle in any position. The first position when engaging the crown sets the date complication and the outer most position adjusts the time. As with the previous dive style watch from Szanto, I appreciate the over-sized nature of the crown on this new model which compliments the case size.

Bezel, Dial and Hands: The 5104 comes equipped with a 90 click unidirectional bezel with 15 minute countdown. I really like the added details such as machined raised markers as well as lume pip. The lume pip had me almost thinking the model could turn out to be a fully functional dive watch. However, the bezel action is a bit loose which is a huge reason I would still classify this model as still more of a dive style or fashion diver than a true dive watch. With the current amount of play in the bezel the watch may not be as reliable as needed for actual timed dives. Szanto has informed me that the play in the bezel and the number of clicks are being addressed for future production in this series. Outside of the bezel action I wouldn't change a single design aspect of the bezel design and it is quite appealing, well made and easy to grasp.

Szanto opted to fit the 5104 with a mineral crystal. The crystal quality and reflective nature seems to be quite superb as I have noticed very little glare while working with and wearing the watch. Beneath the 33mm dial opening is a what Szanto is calling a grey dial. I have noticed a bit more brown in the dial color and would classify it more as a puddy or clay colored dial. The dial is extremely clean and uncluttered with the typical branding above and below center dial. Once again Szanto shows a level of detail not often found in watch in this price category by utilizing applied hour markers. All of the markers are well lumed which I will cover later in the review. I like an aspect Szanto has incorporated with this new dive watch model which has been seen on quite a few dive and dive style watches over the past few years, the handset. The orange minute hand adds a touch of color and flair to the model but also will aid somewhat in darkened conditions when trying to tell the time. The handset is well lumed as well matching the hour markers surrounding the dial. Finally, a large outlined date window is positioned at the 3 o'clock position which is quite legible for those of us visually impaired. Good choice by Szanto using a white window with black numeric font aiding in the legibility.

Case Back and Movement: The case back is screwed down to the case with a traditional threading design seen on a ton of dive and dive style watches. The company logo is etched in the middle with various other specification etched under the logo and around the perimeter. Beneath the case back is a Japanese Miyota 2415 quart movement which has been as accurate as one would expect since delivery. I am still patiently waiting for Szanto to produce a watch in this exact style with either a Seiko NH or Miyota 9015 automatic movement. As I mentioned in a previous review there may be something in the works so stay tuned as I am certain it will be fantastic.

Strap: If Szanto wasn't going to release this model with a bracelet then they have most certainly provided one of the next best options. No it isn't an Isofrane or an Isofrane style dive strap but a very nice, high quality, water resistant leather strap. The overall quality of the leather strap is on par with the wide variety of custom leather straps I have reviewed over the years, so it is quite nice. The strap measures 24mm with no taper through to the buckle. The strap is also a significant 4.5mm in overall thickness and comes with 2 keepers, one floating and one fixed. The buckle is about 5mm at the thickest point and is signed with the Szanto brand name. The only shortcoming, no pun intended, is the length. You will have to watch the video to get a better idea of what I am referring to on the length but the strap size will probably not allow for strapping the watch on over a wet suit as it is somewhere around 130mm x 80mm in length. The strap length is another reason why I believe this model is still more of a fashion or dive style watch than a true diver. Of course one could go out and grab an Isofrane with a wet suit extension and except for the bezel issues the model will lean more in the other direction. The watch as is will be perfect for swimming and snorkeling without any danger of damaging the strap.

Lume: The lume on 5104 appears to be a combination of possibly C1 Superluminova on the bezel lume pip and then Green Superluminova on the hour markers and hands. The lume is an area that shows marked improvement over the last dive watch model. Once charged up it glows brightly for some time with some good afterglow. The next step will be to see a model using either C3 or BGW9 which is the direction I hope Szanto takes on their next dive watch.

On the Wrist: SEE VIDEO in next post

Summary: Szanto has produced another bang for your buck dive style watch with the 5100 series. The company has raised their standards with this release by adding some additional features such as the improved lume and a water resistant leather strap. I am convicted that this new dive style watch could be improved upon almost immediately with little effort just by adding a sapphire crystal and fixing the play in the bezel. If you are looking for a solid fashion quartz dive style watch, that will not pinch your pocket book, then the latest Szanto 5100 series models might be something each of you need to check out personally. The 5100 series models would provide a great option for various sporting activities as well as a day at the beach or pool as the 500 meter water resistance is more than enough to safely enjoy those types of activities without worrying about tearing up the watch. Thanks for reading and as always I look forward to your comments. Please take a moment to check out the brief video presentation below as well as I really believe it will give you an even better perspective on the value of this model from Szanto.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Always enjoy your reviews. Thanks for posting it

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Very nice review!

do you have a Wrist pic?

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
Yet another phenomenal review Mike. Yowza, thank you so much for introducing all of these ! :smileyface_hand_cla Have to love how Szanto has this way about it like they have been making watches for 100 years. Just the way they pay so much attention to the details, small, and large is so neat. Like you said even if you just wanted a unique looking case design for the watch box. This would be a great option with all of the cool angles. Even the bezel is exceptional looking, and catches the eye with it's teeth, and raised sections. Everything about the watch just works. I mean they even have a glare free mineral crystal added to the watch ! Cool ! Speaking of cool though, this dial is sensational. Love the clay/puddy color, and also orange. Actually like everything about these ! Incredible design, lume, even comfortable strap. Pretty fantastic sir. Thanks again for the awesome review here !

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yet another phenomenal review Mike. Yowza, thank you so much for introducing all of these ! :smileyface_hand_cla Have to love how Szanto has this way about it like they have been making watches for 100 years. Just the way they pay so much attention to the details, small, and large is so neat. Like you said even if you just wanted a unique looking case design for the watch box. This would be a great option with all of the cool angles. Even the bezel is exceptional looking, and catches the eye with it's teeth, and raised sections. Everything about the watch just works. I mean they even have a glare free mineral crystal added to the watch ! Cool ! Speaking of cool though, this dial is sensational. Love the clay/puddy color, and also orange. Actually like everything about these ! Incredible design, lume, even comfortable strap. Pretty fantastic sir. Thanks again for the awesome review here !
Always enjoy these.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Everything about it just pops!
The dial colour is sweet.
The way the orange stands out is really nice.

Looks like it's great value for the price.

Excellent review and awesome photos UKWolfeman.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts