Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

About SWAE (from web site)

The SWAEVOLUTION started when two individuals who love the action sport and urban lifestyle scene sat down to discuss what impact could a fantastic watch have in this diverse world we live in. After extensive research and failed experimental attempts with laboratory monkeys the two came down to the conclusion that in order for it to even be classified as a fantastic watch, it had to have a nice shape, vivid colors and a name that would wake the dead….

After days of reading dictionaries, thesauruses and an undisclosed amount of Wikipedia articles, the two were stuck at a standstill. We designed a fantastic watch with a shape that truly makes it our own and even came up with colors that would make the people at pantone very proud but... what do we call it?

Finally after numerous cups of white chocolate mocha lattes, one of the individuals came up with a thought… "These are very unique and different interchangeable watches with a shape that would make a nerd red carpet worthy…. but note…. interchangeable…. When you wake up in the morning, get out of bed, do 10 push-ups followed by drinking a protein shake.. you take a shower, get dressed, then sway back and forth deciding on which watch you want to wear…. so lets call the watch Sway!" The other individual was extremely thrilled about the name and was all for it.

So now, the company had a watch that finally passed its test with laboratory monkeys wearing denim jeans, had a watch with a great shape to it with vivid colors and a name that would truly wake the dead and grow hair back on Bruce Willis' head…. But one of the individuals hit his head skateboarding on his way to the administration building to register the name and accidentally wrote it down as SWAE… But hey…… you can't say that the name doesn't stick!

Web site: http://www.swaewatches.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/swaewatches
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/swaewatche....youtube.com/channel/UCINCBe_RIVRmVGdgshHupDg
Instagram: https://instagram.com/swaewatches/

Stock Picture:

Reviewed Watched: The Veteran Watch
Retail price $169.99
http://www.swaewatches.com/products/the-veteran-watch

THE VETERAN Watch

The “Veteran” Watch - A Watch Built with The Strength of America to honor the brave Men and Women who have served this great Nation!!

100% of Net Profits from the sales of the Veteran watch goes to Charities that help our Veterans!

Manufactured for extreme durability, this timepiece was designed to handle the toughest of conditions. This matte black 20atm water resistant watch is constructed of strong stainless steel alloy, contrasting green hands and green accents on the face, featuring VD53 Quartz chronograph movement. Its Stainless Steel crown, back case, and buttons pay homage to military ruggedness. This one of a kind watch boasts a mineral crystal glass.

Comes with Camouflage and Black Interchangeable strap.

Initial Impressions:

I received the watch and immediately contacted SWAE. The watch that is shown in the stock picture on their web site is the first version of the Veteran. That version had a swiss rhonda movement, titanium case, and a sapphire crystal. SWAE decided that the cost of this version was too high for their target demographic and revised the watch to version 2 of the Veteran. That is the watch that I have for review, Veteran Ver. 2. It contains a VD53 Chronograph movement, stainless steel case and a mineral crystal. The specifications on the web site are correct. The pictures are not.

Box:

Very nice and sturdy shipping box that contains the watch, two straps, and the pillow. I did not receive a user manual or warranty card. The box has a nice fold over clasp and is very sturdy. It will end up in my closet with the rest of the packaging I have collected over the years. I find most packaging useful for shipping the watch to the next owner and not much else.

Straps:

The watch comes with two straps that are very, very generous in length. One black and one green military camo strap that have a heavy duty feel to them. They are not flimsy in any way. They feel like they can handle a big, heavy watch and hold it securely to your wrist. My wrist is 8.25 inches and you can see that there is a generous amount of strap left. I would guess that a 10 inch wrist would easily fit.

Dial: This is the actual dial of the Veteran.

It has a very prominent military look and feel to it. The USA flag is directly under the SWAE logo, the made in U.S.A. is imprinted at the 6 position, and Stars are used for the markers at the 9, 12 and 3 o'clock positions. The military green accents contribute to the overall military look and feel of the watch. The crystal is mineral. The hands are slim, I think too slim for the size of this watch. On my version of the watch the hands are green. The version of the watch shown on the web site has white hands and they might have been lumed. Mine are not lumed.

Case Back:

The military look and feel is carried to the case back. It salutes the sacrifice that our military makes for us to enjoy the privileges of freedom. This theme is consistent with the donation made to veteran's charities from the proceeds of each watch sold.

Dimensions:

Lug-to-lug: I found this to be a very manageable 53mm. The watch sat nicely on my wrist. The curvature was just right and the watch was surprisingly comfortable to wear. I expected the watch to be heavy and want to rotate on my wrist. Neither of these things happened. I think the straps take out a of the weight a bracelet might have added and the curvature and case shape seem to keep it nicely in place. This was a pleasant surprise.

Diameter with crown: 49mm diameter. The watch seemed to be at least 50mm coming out of the box. It looks very large. But again, on the wrist it seemed to be about right. I would say that if a 49mm watch could wear smaller than it looks, this one does. It might be the case shape that contributes to this effect. I'm not sure. But it has the feel of a smaller diameter watch.

Case diameter without crown: At 46mm you get the feel of how this watch feels on the wrist. I would say that this watch wears more like a 46mm watch than a 49mm watch. You will need to decide for yourself.

Crowns:

Not overly large crowns. The main crown is large enough to grab and turn with easy. It is a screw down crown. The chrono pushers do not click, but operate smoothly. The interesting thing about this watch is that the second hand is a normal second hand and the chronograph second hand is the lower subdial. This way you always have your large second hand in motion and as opposed to how most chronographs operate.

Non-Crown side:

SWAE name printed on this side of the case.

Wrist Shot:

Lume Shot:

The hands are not lumed on my model, even though several of the hour markers are lumed. I have reached out to SWAE for an explanation of this. The hour markers were lumed by mistake at the factory. This will be corrected in one of two ways in the next production run;

1) all lume will be removed, or
2) the hands will have lume added to them.

I hope they select option #2. This model is crying out for enough lume to have some practical use at night.

Movement: This watch has the Hattori Japan Watch Movement VD53 Quartz Movement inside.

Operating instructions for the movement are available on the web site: http://www.swaewatches.com/products/the-veteran-watch

More information on the movement:
http://www.esslinger.com/hattori-japan-vd53-quartz-watch-movement.aspx

Summary:

I liked this watch as a military style quartz. I would certainly wear it out and about on weekends and for casual wear. This is not a watch I would wear to the office. However, not all of you work in an office environment. This watch was comfortable for a full days wear. Not too heavy, not too tall, and not too big to have a negative effect on the wearer.

This is a large watch that wears a bit smaller than it looks. It is well built watch despite a few oddities like the lume on the dial and the wrong model being displayed on the web site. Once you get past those minor issues you will find yourself with a well made military style watch that comes at an affordable price.

Pros:

1) 100% of Net Profits from the sales of the Veteran watch goes to Charities that help our Veterans!
2) Long, sturdy straps. Easy to change, to vary the look as often as you wanted to.
3) Reliable quartz movement
4) Screw down crown and,
5) Reasonable water resistance at 20ATM - 200m - 650ft.

Cons:
1) No lume. I think a military watch needs to have lumed hands and markers. I would love to see a model with H3 tubes. I think that would make this model really stand out.
2) Slim hands. I'd like to see a thicker hand used. The dial can certainly accommodate the larger hands.

Reactions: Gary

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
To each his own but I don't like it.

Oh, and this is what it says on their web site blog.

10% of all sales of this watch will be donated to American Combat Veterans of War (acvow.org), a San Diego based organization that enables combat veteran volunteers to mentor, coach and assist warriors in the transition from combat so they could focus on better lives for themselves and their family.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
THANKS for the review Marc. Interesting watch. Great pics and info

·
Banned
754 Posts
I would absolutely love to own both of those straps. Went to the website and they're not available unless it's with the watch.

Thanks for the great review!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Great review, as always Marc.

As for the watch, I am far from impressed. I'll try not to rant, but here are a few points that concern me:

• There is nothing "military styled" about this watch. We can go on for days about what a military watch should be, but this particular model will never be it.
  • It is a cheap quartz watch with questionable styling using various marketing ploys to play on people desire to "support our troops and veterans". I am pretty sick of seeing American flags on watches.
  • "Net" profits is obscure legal speak to say whatever we haven't budgeted for salaries, bonuses, and our next projects go to veterans organizations. If their accountant is real good, that could easily be nothing.
  • What Veterans org are they donating to? Not every charity is made equal. Some have ridiculous overhead. Some have a history of never even getting the money to were they promise.
I apologize, but as a veteran and watch enthusiast, these things bother me.

:::EDIT:::

Okay, their web site says 10%, which is much better than "net profits".

The charity is American Combat Veterans of War http://www.acvow.org/, which is a San Diego local Veterans outreach charity. They mostly seem to hold support groups for sufferers of PTSD and help veterans deal with the VA. I'd rather my money go to a more national organization, but this is good for those in California.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the use of "style" is review speak for a watch that is not a true military watch but a watch that wants to give you the impression that it is a military watch without really meeting all the requirements of a "true" military watch. I don't hold this against a company unless they try to misrepresent the watch as something that it is not. This one is clearly designed to evoke the feeling of the military with stars and stripes, military green color accents and even the flag. I agree that it is not a military watch.

Reactions: ganson

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I guess the use of "style" is review speak for a watch that is not a true military watch but a watch that wants to give you the impression that it is a military watch without really meeting all the requirements of a "true" military watch. I don't hold this against a company unless they try to misrepresent the watch as something that it is not. This one is clearly designed to evoke the feeling of the military with stars and stripes, military green color accents and even the flag. I agree that it is not a military watch.
Agreed, and everyone does it, but that doesn't mean I can't gripe about it now and again :)

It isn't a bad looking piece, it is a good size, and it is relatively cheap. I'll be the first to tell people to buy what they like, and if this is it, then enjoy.
Again, great review Marc as always.

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
Outstanding review as always Marc ! Terrific job !!! :smileyface_hand_cla Want to thank you guys once again for introducing another cool brand that I never knew about, or had heard about before. :thumb: :) Was fun reading how they came up with their name, and especially cool reading about the cause behind the watch. Great stuff !

Have to hand it to SWAE on also making a different looking watch. The lugs alone really grab your attention, and the sinister finish is eye-catching too !
It is so flat, or matte, and really helps the watch give off a real attitude. Even the dial throws in a few unique curves with the accents, star markers, and date window placement. ..Add in a great case-back, a couple nice straps, as well as nice price, and you've got a winning combination !

Thanks again for the excellent review, and intro to the brand like this Marc. Really appreciate it !

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Agreed, and everyone does it, but that doesn't mean I can't gripe about it now and again :)

It isn't a bad looking piece, it is a good size, and it is relatively cheap. I'll be the first to tell people to buy what they like, and if this is it, then enjoy.
Again, great review Marc as always.
Agreed, and going on their site, it makes the watch feel more like a fashion watch than military.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for a great review Marc! We certainly don't like to operate in a vacuum, so your feedback and recommendations are very welcomed and will definitely help us mature this new time piece of ours! Latest news...we are looking into H3 for Lume and larger hands; as it does make absolute sense.

As a side note: Your classification of the Veteran Watch as being “Military Styled" is a fair assessment and exactly as we intended. Our goal with this time piece was to create an affordable and cool Military Styled watch to honor our Veterans and help raise funds in a place where it is sorely needed.

Veteran Picture will be updated to the Version 2 edition just as soon as we get our professional pictures in! J

To the WatchFreek valued Members, I thank you very much for taking the time to respond and share your feedback! Honestly... Good or Bad, we never shy away from feedback. We have had no illusion that any one of our products would ever satisfy every person that reviews them... As mentioned above, any comment or critique helps us mature our product. Fortunately, for the Veteran Watch, our feedback has been amazingly positive, so with that, we'll continue to evolve the product and polish its feature set.

Fun fact: To date, we have Veterans and Active duty personnel proudly representing the Veteran Watch from every Branch of the US Military Services – from Enlisted personnel all the way up to an Air Force Colonel and a Navy Commander!

As a Veteran of the United States Navy myself, I am very proud of our Great Country and our Military personnel. SWAE, as a company will continue to promote patriotism and vigorously support our Military personnel. Flying our Nations Flag on our products will be something we will continue do with pride and honor. We are extremely proud to be one more company that stands in the ranks with other great companies that help raise funds to help our Veterans that desperately need it.

We are certainly not afraid of questions around “how much will you donate”… Our goal is donate as much as we possibly can while being fiduciary responsible for our young business. It is hard to put an exact number on the donation percentage today, as we are focused on making this product and project successful. 10% of sales was our initial goal, but honestly, we want to do more than that (website has been changed to show All Net-Profits will be donated to Veteran Charities). For the SWAE Personnel that are focused on the Veteran watch, we donate all of our time and personal cost for promoting this watch.

Our Charities of Focus:

· American Combat Veterans of War [acvow.com] – Local to our headquarters and great cause supporting our Veterans

· Military Order of the Purple Heart [purpleheartfoundation.org] – Providing an abundance of services ranging from Service dogs to group support.

· Institute of Veterans Education and Training [ivetsolutions.org] - Providing assistance with furthering formal education and vocational training.

· Wounded Warrior [woundedwarriorproject.org] – A Nationwide organization providing a multitude of services for our great Veterans.

THANK YOU very much WatchFreeks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts