Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Name of Reviewer: Mark (AKA andrema)

Watch Reviewed: Scurfa Diver One NATO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scurfa Watches is a company that is the brainchild of commercial diver, Paul Scurfield. His watch designs focus on functionality in a low visibility, underwater environment and the ability of divers to clearly read their watches during a dive. As a result, the “Diver One”, was designed with this in mind, with a high contrast and highly functional approach. For this watch review, the company has provided one of its updated “Diver One NATO” 2nd edition models for review. The newest edition Diver One NATO features a black PVD finish, with a sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel insert. In addition, the watch comes equipped with two NATO straps and a new black silicone strap.

Company Contact Information:

Owner: Paul Scurfield

Email: [email protected]
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/scurfawatches/

"About" from the Company Website:

Having first been made for divers and support staff who were left without a watch when the value of their vintage rolex diving watches exploded leaving them the option of a large windfall or too self conscious of wearing such a valuable item in a hostile workplace, Paul Scurfield watch enthusiast and saturation diver tried to fill the void with a few affordable watches built to a high standard using the best materials.

"Diver One"

Divers working in the North Sea are in teams of three, diver 1 diver 2 and the bellman, diver 1 controls the dive and diver 2 assists, the divers work in the water for a maximum six hours, a normal saturation diving system will house four teams of three divers covering the full twenty four hours of the working day stopping only for bad weather or crew changes, the work period for the divers is 28 days including decompression.

Description of Watch from Company Website:

An elegant and robust watch that was created by deep sea diver and watch enthusiast Paul Scurfield. A collection of watches capable of meeting the demand of a deep sea divers needs.

Watch supplied in a German manufactured Twist Box the same type of box used to supply a range of spare parts to the diving and offshore industry only made on a larger scale for Scurfa Watches.

Video of watch being used during a commercial dive from the Scurfa website:

Stock image:

Watch Specifications:

· Case Material: 316L Stainless Steel
· Case Diameter (mm): 40.0
· Case Length Total (mm): 47.5
· Case Thickness (mm): 12.0
· Bezel Material: Ceramic
· Crystal Material: Sapphire
· Dial Color: Black
· Screw-down Crown
· Crown Diameter (mm): 7.0
· Strap Material: Nylon
· Lug Width (mm): 20.0
· Movement: Ronda 515 Power Tech Swiss Movement
· Water Resistance: 20 ATM / 200 Meters

Price: $210 (£124)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCURFA "Diver One NATO"

Packaging:

The packaging for the Diver One NATO is rather cool and ties right into the whole diver focus of the watch. The design of the case is based on the twist boxes that are used to transport small parts to commercial diving sites, but only on a larger scale. The box is constructed of a heavy gauge plastic, with the Scurfa logo applied to its top lid. The inside of the box is lined with foam, which serves as a nice, secure cushion for the watch as well as the additional NATO straps during transit.

This Scurfa packaging is very unique, secure and easy to operate. The twist box design is a great, innovative packaging and pays a great homage to the background of the designer as well as the intended use of the watch – Nicely done!

To open the box, you simply have to twist the top. The top functions like a twist top on a jar and easily threads itself off to reveal the contents inside the case. To close, you simply reverse this process.

Below is a photo that was provided by the brand of actual twist cases that are used during commercial dives. These cases are what the Scurfa watch packaging is based on.

Case and Crystal:

The Diver One’s case is constructed of 316L stainless steel, which has black PVD coating applied to its entire surface. The case has a nice brushed finish throughout its surfaces. The finishing on the entire case is looks great and is consistently applied throughout the watch. This is an update from the first generation models and it creates a much more casual appearance to the watch.

The case shape itself is a very traditional design, which is based on the older style Submariner cases. The crown protectors and casehave been slightly updated since the first edition. The lines edges of the case have are more crisp, with a more refined appearance and the guards are a bit thicker, which gives them a slightly beefier appearance.

The watch’s sapphire crystal sits just above the surface of the bezel and has antireflective coating applied to its underside. The AR coating has a blue hue, which can be seen at certain angles, in the right lighting.

The following two photos provide a nice look at the case profile of the Diver One NATO. The perpendicular brushing is nicely done and the revised lines of the generation two model give the watch a nice, refined appearance.

The Diver One now features a ceramic divers bezel with illuminated markers. The bezel has nicely scalloped grips, which provides a great surface for making adjustments with gloves. This upgrade from the first edition is fantastic and provides a fantastic value to the Diver One NATO, especially at its $200 price point.

The action of the 120 click bezel is firm, but there is a little play and the feel is softer than what I would like. With this being said, I would say that this is not at all uncommon for a dive watch in this price range (or above for that matter) and certainly acceptable.

The pip on the second generation model has also been upgraded. Instead of a non-illuminated triangle, the new ceramic bezel features a lume filled triangle with a circular pip at its center.

The watch's 316L stainless steel screw-in caseback has a fairly simple design. The field of the watch is brushed in a circular pattern, with the Scurfa logo engraved at its center and the watch's technical data engraved around its outside edge. The engraving itself is very crisp and well done.

The second generation Diver One NATO now features a new 7mm branded crown, with "D1" engraved into it's top. The quality of the engraving and brushed finish of the crown is very nice. The action of the crown is silky smooth and it is very easy to manipulate while setting the time or adjusting the date.

Dial and Hands:

The dial is flat black in color with white painted hour markers, hash marks and company logo painted at the 12 o'clock position on the dial. “Diver One” is also painted in white at the 6 o’clock position on the dial. The dial is virtually unchanged from the prior edition. This is certainly fine, since there were no real noted shortcomings in its original layout/design.

The hands of the Diver One are traditional sword style hands. They have a glossy orange frame and white Superluminova luminous paint applied. The bright white tone of the lume coordinates nicely with the marker color and is a nice contrast to the black finish of the watch. In addition, the orange finish of the hands makes it extremely easy to read against the black dial of the watch.

The photo below provides a great look at the lollipop style orange second hand of the Diver One NATO. In addition, you can also see the coordinating matte black chapter ring as well as a hint of the blue AR coating.

"Diver One" is painted in white at the 6 o'clock position of the dial. As you can see from the photo below, the white paint is a great contrast to the textured matte black dial color.

As you can see from the photos, the Superluminova used on the dial and hands has a nice greenish blue tone. The lume is very bright when fully charged, which fades slowly over time. As you can see from the photos below, when it is fully charged it glows like a torch.

Strap:

The watch comes equipped with three different straps – a lightweight NATO, a heavyweight NATO and a black silicone strap. All three straps are good quality and have PVD hardware installed. They are all comfortable on the wrist and each offer a unique look to the watch when worn. Of the three options, I tend to prefer to wear the watch on the rubber strap or thinner “lightweight” strap. Both of these option tend to help the watch to sit a little closer to the wrist and are a bit less less “bulky”.

The silicone strap really is a nice change from the "IsoFrane" knockoffs that currently flood the market. In addition, it is very pliable and soft when worn. One thing that I did notice is that it wasn't a lint magnet as many silicone straps tend to be, which is a great surprise.

Movement:

Ronda Powertech Caliber 515

The Diver One comes equipped with a Ronda Powertech Caliber 515 Quartz movement. This is a widely used and dependable quartz movement that is used across the industry.

Specifications:

For more information on the movement, visit this link: http://www.ronda.ch/en/quartz-movem...tx_hfronda_product[sourceTarget]=&cHash=6821c 612dcbd26598fa3210f1af04927

Wrist Shots:

For reference purposes, my wrist is 7.25 inches.

The watch measures 40mm in diameter and 47.5mm in length (bar to bar). With these dimensions, the watch is the perfect size for MANY and is certainly a popular size in the WIS community. It wears very comfortably on the wrist and will fit nicely on most wrist sizes.

Overall, I have to say, this watch is outstanding on the wrist. It has great balance, fantastic proportions and its overall appearance in person is excellent.

Overall impression and final thoughts:

Overall, I feel that the 2nd edition Scurfa “Diver One NATO” is a fantastic “grab and go” watch, especially considering it's relatively low price point. I was very pleased with the upgrades made to the new edition and feel that they improved upon an already solid watch. I am very pleased by the watch’s overall appearance and impressed with the company’s well thought watch design. For just over $200, you are getting a nice and unique looking PVD diver, with three straps…I’d say that is an outstanding deal!

In my reviews I would typically go through some points to improve upon, such as adding drilled lugs or improving the play in the watch's bezel. However, in the case of this watch, I feel that there would be limited value in doing so. This watch is well priced and already provides a great watch at a great price for those in the market for a nice quartz diver. So with that, I will end my review with this -- Great job, Paul!

Well, that concludes my review …Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments ~ Mark

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Not sure how I missed this the first time, but great review. I've had the Silicon II for almost a year and love it. Have seriously been considering both this PVD Nato and the new SS as well. Paul makes a great watch for the bucks.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Here's a shot of the Scurfa Diver One Silicon. It's slightly larger than the NATO at 42mm and also has a slightly different look:

The newer version of the Silicon II has a domed sapphire crystal with AR, improved WR to 300m, and the bezel insert is ceramic. Same 42mm case, but increased width to 13.5mm.

The only drawback for me with this watch is the fact that it is Quartz. maybe I'm nuts, but I just can't seem to bond with a watch that doesn't need my attention like a mechanical or even a kinetic does??

There is something compelling about this watch, the dial, the size, the bezel that sings to me. If they would only drop a Miyota 9015 in it (to keep it affordable) I would Scarf up the Scurfa in a heart beat, (pun intended).

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The newer version of the Silicon II has a domed sapphire crystal with AR, improved WR to 300m, and the bezel insert is ceramic. Same 42mm case, but increased width to 13.5mm.

The only drawback for me with this watch is the fact that it is Quartz. maybe I'm nuts, but I just can't seem to bond with a watch that doesn't need my attention like a mechanical or even a kinetic does??

There is something compelling about this watch, the dial, the size, the bezel that sings to me. If they would only drop a Miyota 9015 in it (to keep it affordable) I would Scarf up the Scurfa in a heart beat, (pun intended).

An automatic with 9015 is coming in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
An automatic with 9015 is coming in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm all in when it does!

Thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Diver One based on this review, the strap broke within weeks, and at 11.15 months, the bezel fell off. Support is really tough to get, I was told that Paul was out of the country for 2 weeks and he was the only one who could apparently help. They eventually shipped me a replacement bezel. I had a jeweler apply it as they instructed and it broke the bezel and the insert. Customer support told me its out of warranty because the warranty doesn't cover wear and tear (the bezel FELL off in 6 feet of water). When I pointed out that the bezel falling off should not count as wear and tear, they then told me it is out of warranty because they start the warranty period when the watch is purchased, not when it is received, or even shipped. Supremely disappointed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts