8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Reviewer: UKWolfeman
Watch donated for review

Watch Being Reviewed: Prometheus Piranha

Company Website: http://www.prometheuswatch.com/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/prometheuswatchcompany

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/prometheuswatch

About/History: We at Prometheus Watch Company are about Passion for Time Pieces. Established in 2008 we are a small Portuguese boutique watch manufacturer producing time pieces to our discerning customers. Don’t let time flow, enjoy it with a Prometheus!

Basic Specifications:
316L Stainless Steel Case
Miyota 9015 Automatic Movement
44.00 mm case
22 mm lug width
500 meters or 50 ATM
Sapphire Crystal
Two Years Warranty
Price: $339 Euro (VAT pricing I believe), $461.85 USA

Packaging: Prometheus stays true to the previous packaging that I have seen on pretty much all of their models with a nice branded zippered travel case that holds the watch with an additional compartment for pretty much anything else such as extra links, extra straps, or even another watch due to the design. As I have said so many times before either go extreme or functional and Prometheus does the later with this packaging which will be perfect for those of us on the go as it would be the perfect travel companion for short trips when a couple of watches are needed.

Case: The case design definitely takes us back to the look of vintage watches from 60s and 70s while also providing modern features and flair. The case is made of 316L stainless steel with alternating high polished and brushed finishes. I really like how the sides of the case are brushed which will make it so much easier buffing out the inevitable scratches. The angular lugs provide that little touch of modern flair to the vintage design and there is still a nice curvature over the wrist. The most striking feature has to be the cradling aspect of the case surrounding the bezel which I will mention further later when I go over the bezel features.

The case measures a middle of the road 44mm in diameter and when factoring in the crown, the diameter jumps to a substantial 48mm. The top of the case to the bottom of the case actually measures smaller at 42mm which is due to the vintage design while the lug tip to lug tip measurement is a perfect 52mm. Combining all of the case measurements above along with case thickness of just over 14mm the Piranha is going to look great on a wide range of wrist sizes. The non crown side of the case has a Helium Release Value (HEV) positioned at the 9 o'clock position while on the opposite side of the case is an over-sized, while perfectly proportionate, 8mm x 4mm signed screw down crown. The scalloped type design of the crown makes it extremely easy to grasp. The crown action is quite smooth with no play or wiggle at any position when engaged.

Bezel, Crystal and Dial: The Piranha comes with a 60 click uni-directional rotating bezel which is quite firm with little to no play in either direction. The bezel provides a 15 minute countdown and nicely sized lume pip. No other lume is present on the bezel. The bezel isn't the easiest to grasp and rotate because of a really cool design aspect. Almost half of the bezel is cradled by the case making it slightly difficult to grasp except at the top and bottom portions of the bezel but not impossible. I really believe so many people will love the look of case to bezel cradling design aspect.

The watch is fitted with a large flat sapphire crystal measuring around 31mm in diameter. The crystal has an anti-reflective (AR) coating on the interior which appears to be of good quality as I didn't have to fight glare as much as I have with other watches. Beneath the sapphire crystal is an absolutely stunning snow white dial. I have photographed the Piranha next to my Fortis B-42 below just so you can get a really good perspective on truly how snow white in color. The dial is quite clean and uncluttered but far from sterile as the typical watch branding is printed above and below center dial. The dial is even large enough for small print font minute numerals painted around the dial.

I really like the choice of date window position and color for the Piranha. The white wheel and black font correspond extremely well with the rest of the dial colors. The window is large enough and extremely easy to read for those of us visually impaired. All of the hour markers are lumed which I will discuss later in the review. I like the use of the rectangular and square markers rather than a mix with Arabic numerals. The handset flows with the black colors on the dial as they are outline in black. The thick ladder style hands, including the tip of the second hand, are well lumed just like the markers on the dial. Overall, the white dial version of the Piranha probably provides one of the best looking micro-brand dive watch dials I have ever seen as it just pops visually.

Strap: Keeping with the vintage theme of the watch I believe it was more than appropriate to go with a strap over a bracelet. The rubber strap has a strong resemblance in appearance to a Isofrane dive strap. It is not quite as soft and supple as an Isofrane but I can say it is still quite comfortable. The strap also doesn't seem to collect dust and lint like so many rubber straps. The strap measures 22mm with very little taper through to the buckle. The buckle wasn't an afterthought either as it is rather heavy duty and is branded with the company name. The extra cost of a CUDA rubber strap would have been accepted by the masses I assume. The only aspect I would have enjoyed, which relates more to the case than the strap, would be drilled lugs to make strap changes just a bit easier, but of course drilled lugs are a personal preference. The Piranha will be perfect for those of us that enjoy custom straps so the possibilities and looks are endless.

On my 7 3/4" wrist: I really do not have a lot to say other than the case design allows the watch to flow well across the wrist. The watch even with the middle of the road size specifications weighs only around 150 grams so it will not feel overly cumbersome on pretty much any wrist. Some additional views of the strap as well.

Case Back and Movement: Great looking screw down case back! Besides the typical specifications etched around the perimeter of the case back a really cool cartoonish Piranha is etched at the center. Luckily there is only one piranha etched into the case back or I'd fear for my wrist.....lol. Beneath the case back is the fantastic Miyota 9015 automatic movement which allows for hand winding and is also hackable to get a more precise time setting. The movement also produces that extremely smooth sweep second hand so many of just prefer. I have extensive experience over the past couple of years with the 9015 with absolutely no issues. The movement has been extremely accurate since delivery delivering timing well within +/- 10 seconds a day.

No display case back so for those that do not know what a Miyota 9015 looks like see below:

Lume: A lot of people that I have discussed Prometheus watch models with in the past have all mentioned the same desire to see better lume. Well in my humble opinion I believe the lume on the Piranha is the best to date from Prometheus. Carlos, the owner of the Prometheus Watch Company, heard the consumers and delivered by using the same factory as many of the other micro-brand watch companies to deliver 8 layers of C3 superluminova. Besides the application, surface area for the is also extremely important and the large hour markers and interior of the handset in combination with the 8 layer application allows the Piranha to glow like a torch. The lume shot is straight inside from the video shoot outside so absorbed a ton of natural light for a short duration.

Summary: Overall, I am extremely impressed with the Piranha model more so than any other model I have ever had the pleasure to see from Prometheus. The Piranha comes packed with all the great specifications any of us would expect in a micro-brand dive watch such as great case design, sharp looking dial, tons of lume and a fantastic Miyota 9015 automatic movement all at a very reasonable cost compared to other similar products on the market. Even though the Piranha is somewhere around the tenth model produced by Prometheus, the company is still relatively young and improving. It is so important that the company owner truly listens to what the watch community has to say about the watches produced which allows for continued improvement with each new release. If you are looking for a dive watch with a great vintage type appearance at a reasonable cost you might want to check out the Piranha. As I mentioned previously, the Piranha will make for a fantastic strap watch in your collection as well if you prefer what all the fantastic custom leather strap makers could throw together for this awesome diver. f a white dial is not to your liking never fear as black, yellow and orange dial color options are available. Thanks for reading and as always I look forward to your thoughts and comments, as well as, any personal experiences with this great new watch model from Prometheus.

Other dial options available:

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Still trying to get a grasp of my Galaxy s5 video capabilities. I prefer nature lighting so I shot the video outside on a fairly windy day so please ignore some vibrations etc due to wind. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Excellent Review!! Lots to like about this watch. Very solid

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Excellent review of a very nice watch.

One question if I may is there a typo in the paragraph about the strap? The sentence where you about it not being quite so soft ends with it being "uncomfortable", which to me doesn't sit with the context of the beginning of the sentence.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Great review, excellent pictures. I like the way you tease us with partial shots of the face.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Great review. Looks like a nice bang for your buck there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent review of a very nice watch.

One question if I may is there a typo in the paragraph about the strap? The sentence where you about it not being quite so soft ends with it being "uncomfortable", which to me doesn't sit with the context of the beginning of the sentence.
Thank you. Yes. It is still quite comfortable. Sometimes my proofing lacks.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Great review really like how the bezel is recessed into the case sumo style. On my short list as I see a lot of strap options with it. White looks fantastic but my cup runneth over with white dial so would lean towards the yellow. Also glad they updated the lume. Was a bit disappointing on the sailfish.

sent via mobile

·
Registered
346 Posts
It is a nice looking watch. Nice review and pictures. It looks kind of small on your wrist shots? Zaskar36 what size wrist do you have? I will keep this watch on my list of buying.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a nice looking watch. Nice review and pictures. It looks kind of small on your wrist shots? Zaskar36 what size wrist do you have? I will keep this watch on my list of buying.
Must just be the angle of the photo or close up as my wrist is 7 3/4 and it is truly the perfect size. Not sure about Zaskar36.....my guess is his wrist is 7 or under?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think this is the watch that is he next one on my list. It's gorgeous. I want one a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
Excellent review. Great bang for your buck watch. Design highlights make it a good choice for the unique looks this one has.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Great review...Best Prometheus diver yet I think...shame about it not being an ETA and that damn He valve

Outside a few limited brands, when is the last time you have seen an ETA in a micro brand ? Especially at $420. Majority of micro brands these days use the 9015 and some of those brands start at $600 and $700.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts