1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

E-Mail: [email protected]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/panzerastyle
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/panzerastyle?_rdr=p

Model Being Reviewed: Panzera BREUER B44-01D (CELTIC)
This review was made possible by Roger Cooper and Panzera.

About: (from web site)

The Panzera Breuer B44 mechanical automatic watch range is based on classic German Bauhaus
designed time pieces that first became famous in the 1950s and 60s. This minimalistic and timeless
design is as contemporary and popular today as it was then.

Stock Photo:

BREUER B44-01D (CELTIC)

Retail Price: $445

PANZERA Breuer B44-01M Celtic Mesh
Retail price: $510

Note: You can purchase the mesh bracelet as a separate item for $65.

Specifications:

First Impression: My immediate reaction while unpacking the watch was WOW, this is the
classy dress watch that my collection has needed for a long time. Yes, I have dress divers and
fancy pilots and even a bronze watch. But I really didn't have anything that was truly a dress
watch or that was as elegant as this watch. When I first removed the watch from the case it
was on the leather strap and I really liked the watch in that configuration. But I really fell in love
with the Panzera Breuer B44 when I put it on the added mesh strap. It wrapped perfectly around
my wrist and I've been wearing it ever since.

Pictures:

Packaging: Very nice presentation box. It contains the owners manual and the warranty card.
The watch was well secured in the box inside a bubble wrap tube. It also had front and rear plastic
protective disks and plenty of plastic wrap on the clasp and other metal parts.

Dial: Super clean dial. No numbers, only hour indices and minute markers. The company
and model name appears on the 9 o'clock side of the dial and is placed to counter the date
window at the 3 o'clock position.

A dial can't be much cleaner than this one. Very simple and very elegant.

The crown is just the right size, maybe a hair over-sized for this type of watch,
but not as big as you might find on some of the classic fleigers. Easy to grab
and turn. It is a screw down crown. The first stop adjusts the date and the
second stop adjusts the time. The crown feels solid and stiff as it should.
No unnecessary extra play in the stem.

Case Back:
Standard exhibition case back. Nicely cut out rotor that spins freely
and quietly. The case backs are numbered and this watch is #240.

Straps:
One strap comes with the watch. I was sent the mesh so I could evaluate the
watch in both configurations that the watch is offered in. The mesh can be purchased separately
or you can buy the watch with either the leather or the mesh strap. Both are handsome, well made, quality straps. The leather strap is a nice quality leather equipped with an elegant butterfly clasp. The mesh is
tight weave, so no hair pulling. The buckle is fabulous. Allowing for extremely accurate sizing.

Clasps:
Mesh Clasp:
Excellent mesh bracelet that has a tight weave so it does not grab your hair,
even on these hairy arms. The clasp can be adjusted in any position along the strap,
so you can adjust the clasp for a perfect fit. The mesh will easily fit a 9 inch wrist.

Butterfly clasp:
Easy to operate butterfly clasp that adds to the elegant look of this watch. The leather strap is not as generous in length as the mesh. The leather strap should fit up to an 8.5 inch wrist. I'm at 8.25 with one hole remaining on the strap.

Wrist Shots:

Movement: Miyota 8215 Automatic

The movement is a Japanese Miyota 8215 automatic movement. Miyota is part of the Citizen
group of companies. The Miyota 8215 is a non-hacking twenty-one (21) jewel movement with
a uni-directional winding system (left rotation) with an accuracy of -20 to +40 seconds per day,
and a power reserve of over 40 hours. The diameter of the movement is 26 mm and the thickness
is 5.67 mm. It beats at 21,600 BPH.

Luminosity: The luminosity complements the elegant nature of this watch. The two colors is
nice so the hands are distinct from the hour markers at the 12, 3, 6 and 9. The pips at the 12
are also a nice touch so you can always tell the top of the watch in the dark.

Comparison: I chose to compare the
Panzera Breuer B44 to my JA McCabe dress watch.
They are about the same size,and style. The McCabe is a 46 mm case compared to the 44 mm
case of the Panzera. I think the dial looks larger on the Panzera even if the case measurement is
smaller. They are both rated at 5 ATM.

You can read the McCabe review here:
http://www.watchfreeks.com/121-watc...review-james-mccabe-belfast-jm-1010-03-a.html

Measurements:
Diameter without crown: 44 mm

Diameter with crown: 46.4 mm

Lug-to-Lug: 52 mm

Strap width: 22 mm

Summary: Every once in a while a company just gets it right. This is one of those times.
This is an excellent, elegant, and stylish execution of a dress watch. The clean dial, the 44 mm case, the 9mm height all add to the overall beauty and grace of this watch. I can't tell you how much I've fallen in love with this timepiece. If you are looking to add a classy dress watch to your collection or just want a change of pace from the typical divers and pilots that are out there, then you should consider this Panzera. At under $500 you will be hard pressed to find an automatic with this quality and styling. I am very impressed and look forward to future offerings from this company that clearly pays attention to style, design, and detail.

I understand that a chronograph version is next up for Panzera.

Pros:
1) Perfect sizing at 44mm in diameter and 9mm in height. The lug-to-lug distance is 52 mm. This makes the watch comfortable for a wide percentage of the population. Both small and large wristed people should be able to wear this watch comfortably.

2) Clean, elegant, dial that fits right in the board room, under the cuff of a dress shirt, or out
for an night on the town.

3) Nice touches of luminosity for a dress watch. The pips at the 12 o'clock position are a
particularly nice touch.

4) Super mesh strap. No hair pulls on these hairy arms. And a clasp that can be infinitely
adjusted to get a perfect fit. No links to remove. A simple adjustment of the slide mechanism
creates the fit.

5) Good quality leather strap with butterfly clasp that adds to the elegant look and feel of
the watch.

Cons: I really have to get nit-picky to find any cons on this watch. It is so well made that
there is very little room for improvement.

1) Increase water resistance to at least 10ATM.
I'm surprised that this watch is not already rated higher. It has a screw in case back and a screw down crown.
I would have expected a higher rating just based on the way the case is built.

2) Add a sapphire crystal.
A preference of most watch freeks. I guess it comes down to cost. A sapphire crystal adds $50-$100 dollars
to the cost of the watch and that ultimately gets passed on to the buyer. I just know that sapphire is a huge selling point amongst the watch enthusiasts.

3) Add a half inch to the leather strap.
I would like to see the leather strap match the length of the mesh bracelet if possible.

Thank you for reading this review. I hope you found it informative.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reserved

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
VERY good review!! A lot of picture and info about every feature of this watch.

I have reviewed a Panzera model in the past and agree with you that they are pretty nice and you get a lot for your money in my opinion.

Thanks for the awesome review.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Very nice, rare you can find a dressy watch like this in that size. 44mm with 22mm lugs is about perfect for me.

Terrific review, and looks like a watch well worth looking into.

·
11,577 Posts
Enjoyed another great review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Great review. Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well written and nicely shot review of a piece I just happen to pick up during a "Touch of Modern" sale of this same piece about 2+ weeks ago, except I went with the white dial version. I will be waiting until the latter part of August before it arrives according to the e-mail indicator I got from Touch of Modern! Not thrilled about the wait but since I've made a few purchases from their site in the past I've come to expect/accept there notoriously slow shipping process! Got enough toys in the toy box to keep me pacified until it's arrival so no big deal in regards to wait. That said I'm highly appreciative of both your timing in regards to the Panzara review and the fact that I can just log into Freekyland and get a fix of what I'll eventually have on the wrist. So many thanks and big kudos:clapping-hands-abov for the Breuer show time review! Here's an example of the white dial version:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like that minimalist design and clear view on a dress watch. Very similar to Junghans Maxbill series, and a good alternative against it. Thanks for share.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well written and nicely shot review of a piece I just happen to pick up during a "Touch of Modern" sale of this same piece about 2+ weeks ago, except I went with the white dial version. I will be waiting until the latter part of August before it arrives according to the e-mail indicator I got from Touch of Modern! Not thrilled about the wait but since I've made a few purchases from their site in the past I've come to expect/accept there notoriously slow shipping process! Got enough toys in the toy box to keep me pacified until it's arrival so no big deal in regards to wait. That said I'm highly appreciative of both your timing in regards to the Panzara review and the fact that I can just log into Freekyland and get a fix of what I'll eventually have on the wrist. So many thanks and big kudos:clapping-hands-abov for the Breuer show time review! Here's an example of the white dial version:

The white dial looks just as good. I really like the mesh. I think it will be worth the wait. Let me know what you think once it arrives and you have given it a trial run.

·
Super Moderator
12,832 Posts
What a looker Marc ! :eek: :eek: The way Panzera was evidently able to build such a flawless watch is so fun to see, and all for such a fantastic price also. :smile-thumb2:

Honestly, from just looking at your excellent pics, and reading some of the specs, you would think this would be at least twice as much as it is. ..Can see why 'Wow" comes to mind when looking at this one. Especially in person there !

Really seems like Panzera perfected every aspect of the Bauhaus design, and whether with the mesh, or strap it is phenomenal. ..Love how the markers, and hands on watches like these look, and how the 12, 3, 6, and 9 seem to stand out in certain light at times. Even in the lume shot, they stand out in such an amazing way along with those hands. They almost look like lightsabers passing, or striking each other. Beautiful watch Marc !
Fantastic review too !!! Thanks so much for doing it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Superb review very much enjoyed the read, dress watches are not normally my thing but that one is stunning. Loving the exhibition back and multi coloured lume.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts