1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Reviewer: Don aka Tattoo Chef
Watch provided on loan for review.

Watch Being Reviewed: Morpheus Fine Watches 1911 .45 Auto Watch (Swiss Quartz)

Morpheus Fine Watches Website

Morpheus Fine Watches on Facebook

About/History:
Morpheus Fine Watches is an outgrowth of Morpheus Fine Art, a firm focused on publishing and exhibiting surreal art by contemporary masters for twenty-five years, and with an international reputation. The watch division has been operating for over six years and began with The Culinary watch for chefs, as its first effort.
The concept for Morpheus Watches was to create fully custom works of horological art, dedicated to some specific theme, avocation, or vocation. The Passagen Watch, a design based on H.R. Giger's Passages (the Oscar-winning designer of ALIEN) series of surreal and industrial works of art, was a project that took over three years to finish. The complex case was comprised of fifteen individually manufactured parts, and hand assembled with great care. This design went through many iterations (as many of our projects do), as we pushed the envelope of traditional production. The unusual and difficult keyhole cut of the sapphire crystal, we the least challenging phase of the lengthy process.
Our creative team has years of experience in the design arts and the cutting-edge world of Hollywood film design. Extensive research and development goes into every timepiece we bring you. It was our love of film that led us to do The Cinema watch. Its film-reel dial and art deco nuances serve as a tribute to the wonderful history of world cinema Our new line of Temps Militaire watches are robust timepieces, with military themes and historical themes.
Most of our watches are strictly limited in production and painstakingly made with high quality components usually featured on much more expensive products. Our Atelier Morpheus series watches are Swiss made, with the unique precision and sense of craftsmanship that only they can bring to fine watches.
We are focused on delivering to our customers an ever increasing variety of fascinating and provocative timepieces, and stand behind each one with a two-year warranty, and prompt, personalizedcustomer service.

Specs:
45mm case width
14.25mm thick
316L Case
Swiss Made Ronda Quartz Movement
Sapphire Crystal
Screw Down Crown
Water Resistant 5atm

My Added measurements:
51mm with crown
8mm crown
57mm lug to lug
22mm lug opening
33mm dial opening
Strap length 115/75mm
Weight 118.4 grams

Price: $445 USD

Stock Photo: (Gold Version pictured, Stainless Steel version reviewed)

Browning 1911 .45 Pistol(For Reference)

First Impressions:
When you hear "gun" watch, you immediately think of the watches that use bullet heads as markers, or replicate gun holes on the dial and have bullet shells placed into the strap. I am glad to see that is not the case here. The first thing I noticed is the very textured dial and how it sparkles in gleams in the sunlight.

Packaging:
The packaging is very minimal and nothing overboard. A black rubber type of watch box, with the Morpheus logo and model name on the box, and inside the watch sits on a hard pillow and comes with Morpheus Watch cards. This type of packaging reminds me somewhat of the old Invicta boxes, just in black instead of yellow.

Dial:
Since I am not a gun guy, I will let the stock photo above do the describing for the dial and the elements of the gun that it replicates.

I do like the diamond textured dial and how it replicates the grip of the gun. I think that is pretty ingenious.

The dial itself , you have the 12, 9, and 3 numerals, the 6 position is what they call the NIB screw. In between you have metal stick minute markers. No minute hash marks, and the chapter ring is a plain stainless steel ring. The date window is replicating the bullet surround, and is between the 4 and the 5. While a little distracting to the dial, it does make the date easy to read. Actually with the black dial and stainless steel numerals and markers , the whole dial is very easy to read. I don't mind the limited edition writing, but think the Swiss quartz movement writing could have been left off the dial, and saved for the case back.

Case, Bezel and Crystal:
The case is 45mm wide. It does look bigger to me in person, especially on the wrist, which you will see in the wrist pics down below. I think this is due to the very large crown, and the lug to lug measurement of 57mm. While the watch does appear to be pretty thick, it is actually only 14.25mm thick, much thinner than a lot of diver watches some of us wear.

The case just looks like a big block of steel. The angles and design of the lugs are rugged and a little unrefined. But that is the look of this watch. The lugs are big and blocky and while there is a curve to them, the case itself lays pretty flat.

I personally don't care for the 1911 AUTO written on the non crown side of the watch, but that is personal preference, as I don't like engraving on the sides of cases at all. But it is engraved very nice, and smooth and doesnt have any rough edges when you run your finger over it.

The screw down crown is 8.12 mm and it replicates the texture of the front spring lug. Being honest, the texture on the top of the crown does kind of remind me of a meat tenderizer.

The bezel is an all stainless brushed bezel with no markings, except for the 9 o'clock side of the case where it mimics the slide grooves from the gun.

I was surprised to see a screw down crown on a watch that only has 5atm of water resistance, but a welcome feature in my opinion.

I was also glad to see it has a sapphire crystal. To my eye , it does not seem to have an AR coating applied. If it does though, it would be a clear AR coating. With that said, there is not much glare coming of the crystal or hindering of seeing the dial.

Case back:
The case back is a pretty standard case back, all brushed steel and has the Morpheus logo and LE production number along with the other specs of the watch.

Leather Strap:
The leather strap, as best I can tell is a black calf leather strap. It is designed after the pistols WWII holster and has US stamped on one side and a steel brad on the other. It has one stationary and one floating keeper and has a signed square buckle. The strap measures at 115/75mm , which is pretty short, especially for a large sized watch such as this. I would have liked to have seen at least a 125/75 or a 130/80mm strap. The back is a natural leather color, and is stamped genuine leather on one side and with the Morpheus name on the other.

In trying on the watch for the first time to take the wrist pics below, I only had it on for about 2 minutes, and you can see that it does leave an indention mark on it. I am not sure how well this strap will hold up after daily wear and being repeatedly taken on and off.

Wrist shot on my 7 1/2" wrist:

Movement:
The movement is a Swiss made Ronda quartz movement. Being a quartz, it will keep very good time as we know. I would have liked an automatic movement here. Not that I have anything wrong with quartz movements, just with the word Auto in the model and description of the watch and 1911 auto branded on the side of the case, I guess I just feel that some might think its an auto movement, not realizing that auto here is the pistol name. But that could just be me over thinking things as well.

Lume:
There is only lume on the hands. Actually just the tips of the hands.
This watch is far from a diver, so I did not expect excellent lume or anything like that, but the lume as you can see is pretty weak. I am one of those that feel if your not going to lume a watch well, then it should be left off. White paint could have been used here and it would have been just fine in my opinion.

Summary:
Being completely honest, this watch is not really my style. Its a little funky, but I don't think that is bad either. Everyone has different tastes and that is what makes our watch hobby so fun.

With that said, I will say that while I am not a gun guy, I think this watch is a lot better than some other "gun" watches I have seen. Instead of making it gimmicky with bullets or bullet holes on the dial, or bullets in the strap, etc, they took elements of the gun and holster and incorporated it into the watch and dial.

I think the price is inline with what it is. A Swiss quartz movement , sapphire crystal, and from what I can tell, a custom designed watch.

As far as improvements, if they are going to use lume, they should at least make the entire hands lumed. Also the leather strap is a little plastic feeling, just not a good leather feel, I think the strap can be upgraded to something a little better in my opinion. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing an automatic movement used. Nothing wrong with quartz, but with the model name being a 1911 .45 auto, would make sense to match that with an auto movement.

If you are a fan of guns, or like something a little different from everything else, than this could be a possibility for you. It is machined well, has a nice patterned dial and is on the larger size, so if you are looking maybe to stand out a little, or have something a little unique, maybe check this watch out.

Thank you for reading and as always I look forward to your comments.

Also , in agreement with Morpheus Watches, we will be giving this watch away on the forum in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
imported post

Well done Don. Not my style at all either. I am sure there is a market for these somewhere.I am also confused with the branding on the case. Who puts auto on a case if you aren't referring to the watch itself? Decent looking watch though.Thanks for the review.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

When I saw the stock picture I immediately thought it was brass. That might have made sense as the gun tie in might have been cool as the shells are brass. Then I saw it was gold and I was a bit disappointed. I kind of think the design is cool, a fairly simple three hand, Might make a great watch to wear everyday in an environment that is tough on a watch.

Great review. I always appreciate the time and effort.

·
Senior Novice
3,186 Posts
imported post

That was a very good review Don, thank You for Your comments and all the good pictures.

i like this watch a lot, it's a large statement piece which works well for the .45 ACP theme.

The Dial is excellent! if i made changes i'd remove all lettering and use the logo alone
this and the contrast of a true brass date window would rock the watch for me.

i like the writing on the side too, it says auto on the dial so they're not

being deceptive and i'm sure they pondered that one, i'm just partial to

particular writing some cases, and this is one. Don You're right on when it

comes to lume, if it can't shine it's pitiful, i'd push for better lume over none.

Thank You Morpheus and Thank You again Don!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
imported post

Uh, scratch my head on this one.

·
Long Time Member
4,294 Posts
imported post

DON, GREAT REVIEW AND PICTURES, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I LOOK AT THE PICTURES - I CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO LIKE IT!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
imported post

As usual, the watch is not as nice as Don's excellent write-up. Great review, but I'm not terribly impressed with the looks, or specs, of that watch.

I'm sure there is someone who that watch really speaks to, but I am not that someone. .

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ganson wrote:
As usual, the watch is not as nice as Don's excellent write-up. Great review, but I'm not terribly impressed with the looks, or specs, of that watch.

I'm sure there is someone who that watch really speaks to, but I am not that someone. .
Thanks for the compliment bro.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
imported post

Great review Don! I like the watch. Clean dial and looks great on the wrist too.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Ok I didn't say it earlier but I do not like it when any watch say Auto anywhere on the case or dial if it isn't an automatic mvt. I get the reason but just don't like it. Couldn't that info on the side of the case just be left off? Just my .02.

·
Registered
5 Posts
imported post

Thank you for the very thorough review. I think the watch face is too large to be worn comfortably. Am still in search of best watch for under 2k, I want something of quality, distinctive, & that retains value... Am open to suggestions. I need to get gift for future don in law graduating law school. He is not a diver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts