Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Name of Reviewer: Mark (AKA andrema)

Watch Reviewed: Marc & Sons 1000M Professional Diver Watch - MSD-042

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company Contact Information:

Phone: +49 (0) 871-9769840
Fax: +49 (0) 871-9769841
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marcandsons.watches

Company Philosophy:

For thousands of years, mankind has been the subject of time.

MARC & SONS you want to share that excitement for the time. From years of experience, we know that a watch is more than a tool for reading the time. We and many of our clients are of the opinion that a watch gives its wearer a special and individual life. At the present time the watch is one of the most worn accessories and thus forms the perfect complement to our clothing. A watch provides its carrier several times a day, the information of time and thus represents a precision instrument. MARC & SONS has made it his mission to connect the high value of a measuring instrument with the aesthetics so that the individuality of the wearer is underlined. We want to give our customers a perfect combination of functionality, personal style and way of life along the way.

Stock image:

Watch Specifications:

· Case Material: 316L Stainless Steel
· Case Diameter (mm): 46.0
· Case Length Total (mm): 55.0
· Case Thickness (mm): 18.0
· Crystal Material: Sapphire
· Dial Color: Blue
· Screw-down Crown
· Crown Diameter (mm): 8.0
· Strap Material: 316L Stainless Steel
· Lug Width (mm): 22.0
· Movement: Citizen Miyota 9100 Caliber
· Water Resistance: 100 ATM / 1000 Meters

Price: $265 (€235)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marc & Sons is a German watch company that was founded in 2007. Their watch collections vary from conservative dress watches to rugged sport watches and their pricing is very economical, given the components of the watches they sell. For this watch review, the company has donated one of its Model MSD-042 professional diver models for review. This is an stainless steel diver, with an automatic movement, sapphire crystal and several complications.

Below is a short video that provides a 360 degree view of the MSD-042. This will provide you with an overall feel for the watch from all angles. More detailed photos of the watch will be provided in the following sections of the review.

Marc & Sons 1000M Professional Diver Watch - MSD-042

Packaging:

The packaging for the MSD-042 is actually rather nice given the price point of the watch. The watch box is covered in a nice, black leather with matching black stitching. On the top of the top lid the Marc & Sons logo is embossed with a silver metallic finish, which gives the box a nice refined appearance. The inside of the box is lined with a light tan velour throughout all of its surfaces. The inside of the lid has an elastic pocket, which holds the watches warranty card as well as the watch instruction manual.

Case and Crystal:

The MSD-042's case is constructed of 316L stainless steel. The case has a nice brushed finish along its top surface, with a high polished finish along its sides. The finishing on the case looks very nice and is consistently applied throughout the watch. The case shape itself is a fairly traditional design, which is based on the older style Submariner cases.

The watch’s sapphire crystal sits just above the surface of the bezel and has a blue tinted antireflective coating applied to its underside. The bezel has an aluminum bezel insert installed, with a diver's countdown scale, glossy black finish and silver markings.

The bezel is a 120 click design and provides a nice firm click when turned. There is a little play in the bezel action, where you need to move it slightly backwards to properly align the bezel.

The watch's 316L stainless steel screw-in caseback has a fairly simple design. The field of the watch is brushed in a circular pattern and around the outside of the caseback the technical information is nicely engraved into the finish.

The MSD-042 has an unbranded, screwdown 9mm crown, which has a fully polished finish. It's notched grips makes it fairly easy to manipulate when setting the time and it has a nice, smooth feel as well as nice action.

On the right hand side of the case at the five o'clock position, the watch has a manual helium release valve ("HEV"). The HEV has a similar design to the watch's crown, with a notched grip design and brushed finish. It has a screwdown design and is functions by simply unscrewing the valve.

In addition to the HEV, the watch has a single pusher at the two o'clock position, which has a screwdown sleeve design. This sole purpose of this pusher is to adjust the month on the watch's sundial at the 3 o'clock position.

Dial and Hands:

The dial is flat blue in color with white painted hour markings, hash marks and company logo painted at the 12 o'clock position on the dial. As you can see from the photos below, the dial of the MSD-042 includes some nice details, such as a white painted power reserve scale as well as circular engraving and white surrounds on its subdials.

One nice feature included with the watch is the chapter ring. The blue chapter ring includes white painted second markings and is slightly raised above the surface of the dial. This is a nice addition to the hash marks on the dial and will come in handy when timing events.

To assist with navigating the purpose of each date complication on the MSD-042's dial, I have included an illustration below which outlines each functional area of the dial as well as its interaction with the watch's crown and pusher.

The hands are traditional "Mercedes style" hands. They have a polished stainless steel frame and white Superluminova luminous paint applied. The bright white tone of the hands coordinates nicely with the marker color and makes it extremely easy to read against the black dial of the watch.

As you can see from the photos, the Superluminova used on the dial and hands has a nice greenish tone. The lume is very bright when fully charged, which fades slowly over time. As you can see from the photos below, when it is fully charged it glows like a torch.

Bracelet:

The watch comes equipped with a 316L stainless steel bracelet, which has a traditional 3-piece, "super oyster" design. To provide a bit of comfort while being worn, the bracelet tapers from 22mm at the watch lugs down to 20mm at its clasp. While on the wrist, the bracelet is very comfortable and seems to easily handle the watchbs 283 gram weight, without making it feel top heavy.

The bracelet comes with a diver's safety clasp installed, with three micro adjustments. The clasp has a nice brushed finish and has the Marc & Sons logo engraved into its surface.

Movement:

Citizen Miyota Caliber 9100

The MSD-042 comes equipped with a Citizen Miyota Caliber 9100 automatic movement. This is a widely used and dependable movement that is used across the industry.

For more information on the movement, visit this link: http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/9015/spec.html#cal9100Link

Wrist Shots:

For reference purposes, my wrist is 7.25 inches.

The watch measures 46.0mm in diameter and 55.0mm in length. With these dimensions, the watch is a fairly robust watch. Despite it's oversized dimensions, the watch's short, downward sloping lugs make it wear very comfortably on the wrist.

Overall, this watch looks very nice on the wrist and has a great overall appearance in person.

Overall impression and final thoughts:

Overall, I feel that the Marc & Sons 1000M Professional Diver is a very nice “grab and go” watch, especially considering it is coming from a new brand. I was pleased with the watch’s overall appearance and impressed with the company’s well thought watch design. For just over $250, you're getting a nice diver, with an automatic movement, bracelet, sapphire crystal and a great functionality (with its time, day, date, month, a synchronized 24 hour hands, and a top mounted power reserve indicator....I’d say that the MSC-42 1000m Professional diver is an excellent valuel!

While preparing my review and evaluating the watch, I found it difficult to come up with any shortcomings of the watch’s design or execution. However, as I do with all of my reviews, I did manage to come up with two that warrant mention. Please note, these points are fairly nit-picky and the watch has a fantastic design and excellent quality notwithstanding these few points:

· As the watch is currently designed, there is just a simple silver triangle utilized for a bezel pip. I would prefer if there was a touch of illumination on the bezel, like a totally lumed triangle or a simple pearl. This would help the wearer quickly identify the position of the bezel as well as help to set the bezel in darker conditions Bezel pip.

· The crown design on the watch currently just has a simple polished end. I would prefer if the crown were signed as it would add a bit more refinement to the watch. Although this is not a "deal breaker" kind of point, it just my preference and what I prefer on my watches.

Well, that is all that I could find…fairly benign. As I said previously, these points are fairly minor or nit-picky.

Well, that concludes my review …Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments ~ Mark

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a link to a Arqspin file that I made of the MSD-042 diver: http://arq.io/9azb4jvb9b6i

This will allow you to spin the watch 360 degrees and look at the watch from all perspectives. It is the next best thing to having the watch with you in person!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
GREAT review. Really nice looking watch. I like the dial design.

Awesome pictures as always. Thanks for the info and hard work on the review.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Great review Mark. I appreciate the time taken for such details.

·
Long Time Member
936 Posts
:smileyface_hand_cla

Thanks Mark,

I really enjoyed your review.
This is a very nice piece of hardware.
I just received one of their Fliegeruhr Pilot and it too is a great
Value for the buck.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Yet another great new watch, and watch brand Mark ! :cool: Boy oh boy, cool stuff !!! :smile-thumb2:Can tell it was really difficult to find anything wrong with this watch like you said. Really was a neat idea though about adding in some lume to that beautiful bezel there. That would really help play off the terrific details on the dial and even mirror that nuclear lume it has as well.

No matter how you slice it though, this watch looks to be pretty amazing for the level of finishing, and movement it has, and then the price on top of it all. Yowza ! Seems like a watch that catches the eye in so many ways. From the unique blue, to the flawless markers, lume, even finishes, and comfort level. Really is neat Mark ! THX so much for giving us such a terrific look, and review !

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Great review, thank you. Looks like great value for the $.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Not too familiar with the brand but that is a lot of watch for not a lot of money.
Many thanks for the superb review and fantastic pictures, I enjoyed the read.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Very impressive. It is not often you find a watch with complications like this AND is a reliable automatic for under $300.

Great review Mark!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Very nice watch and great review. I may need to pick up one of these just because of the name. I'm a Marc, and you don't often see it spelled that way. It may be a cool conversation piece as part of my collection. At this price point it might be a item I can request as a birthday or holiday gift. I'll have to see if I can get one for sure.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Everything about the review of this watch shows a lot of great features for very little money. If someone could use a watch that large, they'll be getting a great value, but it's not for me. Nicely done review, Mark.

·
Registered
173 Posts
andrema-

What a great review of a handsome watch ! This piece has so much going for it and at a price that is amazingly reasonable for a watch with this sort of top drawer features. Sapphire crystal, helium release, 1000m WR, all I can say is WOW for the watch and WOW for the review. I have never really been that interested in divers but now is a good time to get bit by the divers bug...WOW.:smile-thumb2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts