Reviewer: Don aka Tattoo Chef
watch donated for review.

Watch Being Reviewed: House Of Horology Bedlam Dark Orange/black

Company Website: http://houseofhorology.com/store/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/HouseofHorology

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/houseofhorology

About/History:
AT HOH, we believe in a lot of things.

We believe that anything is possible. We believe you create your own reality. We believe that if you want something and aren’t afraid to reach for it, the universe will welcome you with open arms.

In our case, we couldn’t find the watches we wanted – fashionable without being over-designed, sturdy without being clunky, and beautifully crafted without an insane price tag – so we decided to make them ourselves!

We broke traditional watchmaking down to its elements, distilled the essence of both luxury and fashion design philosophy, and engineered a brand new watch from the ground up. We evaluated every detail over and over, until every part was just right. As a result, HOH watches are beautiful and functional – they have luxurious components, a cutting-edge design, and a down-to-earth price.

It’s important to us, because *you’re* important to us. At HOH, we believe our customers are individuals, not sales figures or walking wallets. We believe you deserve the very best from us, and we aim to deliver!

You know who you are – you’re an idealist. You believe in people over profits. You believe in living in the moment, and making the most of every experience. You believe in forging your own path. We get you, because we *ARE* you.

Our watches will see you through any occasion – whether your agenda calls for a day at the beach, an afternoon brainstorming the next big idea, or a night on the town. If you’re an independent thinker, a laid-back urban warrior, a free spirit, a jet setter, or just someone who believes that quality shouldn’t come at the expense of fashion (and vice verse), we’ve got your back.

We want our legacy to be about limitless possibilities. Whatever your mission, we want to help you do it, and do it with style!

Specs:
• Case: Stainless steel with black PVD coating
• Dial Color: Black dial with beige accents
• Size: 43 mm case & 35 mm case opening
• Movement: Seiko 1/10th second quartz chronograph
controlling 7 individual hands and the date indicator.
• Crystal: Scratch-resistant corundum sapphire crystal
with anti-reflective coating
• Strap: Brown genuine leather with beige stitching
Lug width 22mm
Lug to lug 52mm
115 grams
Price $490

Stock Photo:

First Impressions:
House of Horology is a newer brand, just under 2 years I believe. It was a brand I was not really familiar with, but I was fortunate enough not only to get a model in hand for review but also speak to the owner for a bit. The current collection, the Bedlam is there one and only model for now, and it is a fashion forward design, with pvd cases and bright colors, but also made of quality components.

Initially it reminded me of a Lum-tec and it still somewhat does, but I would not say it is a direct copy, just has a similar feel. What I was happy with is while it is a fashion inspired watch, a little modern and funky, it is not the type of watch you would pick up in a department store table.

Packaging:
A black leather presentation box that is well padded and has orange contrast stitching. Inside the watch sits and also comes with a microfiber cloth. And it also has another compartment, a pull out drawer that holds your instructions and warranty card. While this box is not something that you can really re-purpose, it is a nice presentation.

Dial:
The steel dial is done in a black enamel, with very bright orange hands and numbers, and while the numbers vary in sizes, even the smaller sized ones are on the large side, making them very legible. The numbers are placed a little odd on the dial, but that is part of the fashion forward theme. The chrono second hand is done in a contrasting white, as is the HOH logo that is also the running seconds subdial. I am not sure what the HOH logo really is, it reminds me somewhat of a maze, somewhat of an internal gear maybe. But, it is there branding and is on the dial, the crown, the case back and of course the leather packaging above.

Case, Bezel and Crystal:
The solid steel case is pvd coated and it is a very nice pvd coating, well finished, no blotchy or unfinished areas. The case itself is reminiscent of B&R style watches, but the edges are more angled. The case is 43mm, which for a fashion inspired watch, that did surprise me. Too many companies going the oversize route these days(in my opinion) and square watches wear bigger than round cases do as is, so 43mm was welcoming.
The lug to lug is 52mm, again, not oversized or too long to fit most wrists. The lugs are not very curved, but they do have one feature I like, hex screws for the strap attachment. Unfortunately, though, this example did not come with a hex tool to remove the screws. Now, this might have just been a mistake, and I hope that they normally do.

The screw down crown and chronograph pushers function as they should, no scratchiness, no lag on the depression of the pushers. The crown is large enough to grip and use even if you have bigger hands, but not oversized by any means.

Another quality component in this fashion forward watch is the use of sapphire crystal. Let's be honest, they could have went with mineral. We have seen it with alot of brands such as this, brands we have reviewed here on the forum. But they chose a nice sapphire crystal with a good AR coating (internal).

The screws on top of the case are decorative. Now I don't mind that, it's adding to the look, and give it that industrial feel. But I am not fond of the placement of the screws and I think 8 was too many. 4 would have been suffice. But, they are still a new company and will hopefully learn sometimes, less is more.

Case back:
The case back is nicely engraved with the HOH logo, and has a nice combination of brushed and frosted steel finishes. The engraving is very smooth, no rough spots and feels very nice on the wrist.

Leather Strap:
Another component here they didn't skimp on was the 22mm leather strap. Black cowhide leather with contrast orange stitching, the strap is supple but sturdy and is about 4mm thick. It also has a large and thick singed pvd buckle.

Wrist shot on my 7 1/2" wrist:
As you can see, even with lugs that don't have any curvature to them, the Bedlam wears nice on the wrist, as much so as most square cases, if not a little more comfortable than most. The Bedlam is just about 14mm thick, so its not sitting high off the wrist either. The strap as I said is very well made, and it balances the watch well, and a good thing to point out is the strap is 130/80mm so it should fit a wide arrange of wrist sizes.

Movement:
The Bedlam uses a Seiko 1/10 second quartz chronograph movement. Nothing groundbreaking here, it gives you the time, the chrono functions and the date. But its a Seiko movement, so you know it's going to do what it is meant to, keep accurate time and be dependable.

Lume:
The hour and minute hand along with the hour dots on the dial are coated in C3 superluminova and the orange numbers have some lume applied to them as well. While the lume is far from a flashlight, it does glow nicely and lasts a few good hours, so no issues here with the lume.

Summary:
Overall, I was impressed with the quality of the Bedlam. It has quality packaging, a clear,legible dial, sapphire crystal, Seiko movement, quality leather strap, on a comfortable square case.

The watch is a little funky, it is a little different, but that is what it was meant to be. It does have that Lum-tec vibe, and it also has the same pricing...a little on the high end for a quartz at $490. But, quartz I believe always has its place for a great grab and go watch, and this is a nice grab and go option in a style that will look nice with a night on the town with friends, or your weekend watch.

Improvements can be made, as always, and a few things I would personally change.

The amount and placement of the screws on the top of the case.
Including a hex tool to remove strap.
Larger hour markers which would allow for more lume to be applied.

One nice thing about House of Horology though, is you don't have to order online to see one in person for yourself. They have a shop at 193 Prince Street in NYC, so anyone that is in the area can go in and check out the collection in person.

HOH has some new designs and models for the future, and some great upgrades planned, so keep an eye out for those.

Here is a sample of some of the other color combinations the Bedlam collection is offered in.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Nice review as always. The square case is a killer for me. I have never really warmed up to that case design. The rest of the watch seems inline with what I would expect. I'd be looking at blue and white version as orange is not my thing. Thanks again for the review.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Great review. I am also not a big fan of square cases (no matter how many chances I give them), but this is a sharp looking watch, and looks like a excellent grab and go.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Great review as always Don! But you're all aware of what 'Bedlam' stands for, aren't you? :D

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great review as always Don! But you're all aware of what 'Bedlam' stands for, aren't you? :D
a popular name for the Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlehem in London, which served as a lunatic asylum

a scene or state of wild uproar and confusion.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
a popular name for the Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlehem in London, which served as a lunatic asylum

Did RammerJammer loan you his Google access?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts

WiKi the Viking :D

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Nice Review Don!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Yeah, but only for like 2 minutes. He is very stingy with his "google thing"

:smile-thumb2:
I'm glad that watch doesn't sport 'Mercedes Hands'. He would be bitchin' about it for a week! :D :D

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not a fan of the bright white logo, which looks like it is a stylized HOH. If it is intended to represent anything beyond that it is lost on me.

Not quite sure what I think of the case shape. The straight lugs kill it for me. Must keep manufacturing costs down or something.

I do like the lume layout, the HOH logo notwithstanding.

Orange I'm a fan of.

Quartz. Meh

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Not bad for a first watch and very cool that they have a store you can actually go to and check it out. Do they have any plans to come out with a nice diver? Maybe something round with a strap that doesn't have that bright contrast stitching would be nice to consider too.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Great review, I really like this one different, bold look. The size is perfect for me. Love the blue and black combo. Wonder what the street price is on these?

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Very nice review, Don! I like the lume on that one!!

I have one of the HOH smartwatches on order, it uses the same case and has tons of very cool features. I got on the Kickstarter bandwaggon for that one!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Very nice review Don. The watch itself is not my cup of tea as I do not stray far from more traditional round design. But this would definitely be nice for the more fashion conscious.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts