Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watch Reviewed: Fromanteel Generations Pendulum

When WatchFreeks was approached with the opportunity to the first in-person review of Fromanteel’s initial automatic watch, we were honored and jumped at the opportunity to take a closer look. Soon thereafter, the Fromanteel “Generations Pendulum” sample showed up on my doorstep to evaluate and provide my thoughts.

Since this is Fromanteel’s first foray into automatic timepieces, they have created an entirely new section of their website that is devoted to the new Generations Pendulum. This section describes each of the new features of the watch, as well as the company’s approach for its design. I have included a link to this website as well as the Company’s other social media sites below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company Information:

https://fromanteel.nl/pendulum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Fromanteel-Tulip-Rally-378691122297317/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fromanteeltuliprally/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Fromanteel

About from Company Website:

It all started with Ahasuerus Fromanteel, a clockmaker from the 17th century who owned a modest workshop on the Dam Square in Amsterdam. Back in 1660, Fromanteel began to manufacture a series of revolutionary clocks, all equipped with the advanced pendulum mechanism. This clock was known as the most accurate clock at that time. The pendulum enabled the Fromanteel clocks to measure 'seconds', which was quite unique in a world dominated by 'minutes' only. The clocks were sold as if they were iPads and because of this huge success, Fromanteel expanded his operations and opened a second workshop in London; and not much later one in Newcastle. Instantly creating the world's first multinational clockmakers firm. That is what inspired us to do what we do today.

Now, the name Fromanteel lives on as a brand of fine crafted watches. Our timepieces apply the mastery technique of the Fromanteel to today's modern age. A Fromanteel watch is a contemporary designed timepiece, with an eye for the smallest detail and the highest level of quality.

HISTORY IS NOW.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fromanteel Generations Pendulum

Stock Photo:

Description from the company website:

THE GENERATIONS PENDULUM (ref: GP-1101)

Drawing on its history of watchmaking expertise, the Fromanteel atelier proudly introduces the exceptional Generations Pendulum caliber modification: our first self-winding mechanical movement, with a power reserve of 38 hrs. Its name is a direct reference to the pendulum clock as made by the Fromanteel clockmakers family in the 1660s. The pendulum became known as the world’s most innovative and precise clock – an amazing manifestation of the craftsmanship of that time. Join us on a journey into the microcosm of this exceptional caliber.

At first sight, every watch seems to consist of two main components. The first one is the watch’s movement itself, which takes the highest precision a craftsman’s hand can contrive. The second component is the handmade leather strap, which can be handled with a bit more force – yet still always in moderation. Both components can be crafted to either perform well, or to perform exceptionally. The latter will always be the craftsman’s goal.

The term ‘craftsman’ is one of the oldest designations for someone who is capable of intertwining his superior skills with his own power of creation. Creating well-crafted products is a process of trial and error, in which several form studies have to be made prior to the end product. In the end, all that the product scintillates is pure precision and dedication. The same goes for creating a Fromanteel watch.

When taking a closer look, the two components we saw earlier appear to be made up out of multiple sub-components. In fact, all these sub-components of the watch aligned are what makes the watch tick with such great accuracy. Every individual sub-component has its own function and characteristics. It is at this level that the craftsman’s eye for detail and dedication to crafting an exceptional microscopic piece of machinery become visible.

As we zoom in just a bit further, we catch ourselves taking in more and more diminutive details which we did not see before. It is as if we enter a world of its own. A world in which the mechanic engineering is brought to live. One needs an attentive eye to totally grasp its dynamics on an almost microscopic level and see that underneath these complex details ingenuous simplicity is hidden.

Watch Specifications:

- Case Material: 316L Stainless Steel
- Case Diameter: 42.00 mm
- Case Length: 50.00 mm
- Case Thickness: 9.95 mm
- Crystal: Sapphire
- Dial Color: White
- Movement: Fromanteel Pendulum - Modified ETA Caliber 2824-2
- Strap Material: Genuine Leather
- Lug Width: 20.00 mm
- Water resistance: 50 Meters / 5 ATM

Price:
$1,082.00 (€999,00)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Packaging:

As I do for each review, I’ll start this one with taking a quick look at the Pendulum’s packaging. Although I tend to view watch packaging as “fluff” and just something that should just get a watch safely from point “A” to point “B”, I do appreciate it when a company makes the extra effort to make an improvement to their product. Well, this is the “case” with the Pendulum's new, updated packaging. With this new automatic line of watches from Fromanteel, it appears that they have stepped up their game with their game with respect to how they are presenting this new line of timepieces. I would say that overall the packaging has improved dramatically from its predecessor's packaging. BUT…the prior packaging was fantastic! So, please don’t confuse my comment as being negative, it is really meant to be very positive.

As you can see from my photos below, Fromanteel has carried on their tradition of utilizing a “canvas” bag, with a seal, to hold the watch box. This is a consistent theme to their other packaging and approach with other watches. In addition, the black leather utilized for the watch box is also very much in line with the material and color that had been used in the past. However, this is where there is a departure…the craftsmanship has been greatly improved and the materials used seem to be much nicer and more refined. In fact, they are in line with that of a watch that is two time more expensive, in my opinion.

Below is a closer look at the inside of the watch case. The yellow leather interior is a nice touch. It coordinates nicely with the watch's signature crown end and Fromanteel's branding.

Case, Bezel and Crystal:

The Pendulum has a very classically designed, but modernly proportioned dress watch case. Its case is constructed of 316L stainless steel, which has been polished to a high gloss, and has a round shape. The crown of the watch sits proud at the 3 o’clock position on the side of the Pendulum’s case, without any crown guards present.

The finishing on the Pendulum is very nicely done and is on par with many “higher end” watches in the market. The polishing on the case is very fine, with a mirror-like reflective quality and the margins between the watch components are very precise throughout the entire case. As you will see throughout the photos in this review, the craftsmanship that is employed is very well done.

The case’s lugs are 20mm wide and sit close to the bottom edge of the case. This, combined with their moderate downward slope, allow the Pendulum to sit flat on the wrist when worn and wear comfortable by sitting close the wrist when worn. This positioning helps to eliminate the “flopping” that you often will experience with watches with higher situated lugs.

The photo below provides a closer look at the Pendulum's polished case, including the fixed bezel and lugs. The watch's sapphire crystal can also be seen, which has antireflective coating applied to reduce glare. The crystal sits slightly above the edge of the bezel, which adds another sight line and interest to the watch's profile.

The watch is built with a 316L stainless steel screw-in, display style caseback. The caseback has a high polished finish, like the rest of the case, with a sapphire crystal installed. The crystal enables the nicely finished Fromanteel Pendulum Modified ETA 2824-2 movement to be clearly seen, including its branded rotor.

The watch's technical data as well as model number is engraved nicely around the perimeter.

The Pendulum's custom rotor can be seen in the photo below. It's finishing is very nice and reflects the light nicely when viewed through the sapphire crystal caseback.

Below are a few close shots of the Pendulum’s 6.0mm crown. The crown features a finely machined grips and the Fromanteel signature yellow enamel end. Given the fact that the watch features a no-crown guard design, there is plenty of accessibility and functioning the crown is certainly not an issue. The action of the crown is very smooth and the winding/functioning of the movement is very precise.

Dial and Hands:

The Pendulum features a stark white dial. The dial has a beautiful textured dial, with a Clous de Paris pattern engraved throughout its entire surface. For those who are unfamiliar with this term, “Clous de Paris” is a term that refers to guilloché techniques which creates a pattern of tiny pyramidal shapes on a dial, which are intersected by shallow lines. As you can see from the photos below, this creates quite a nice, classic effect.

The dial includes polished stainless steel stick style hour indices, with a double marker to indicate 12 o’clock. In addition, the Pendulum dial includes a black painted minute track around its perimeter as well as the Fromanteel brand name painted in black just under the 12 o’clock position.

Since Fromanteel manufactures all of its watches at its atelier in Bienne, Switzerland, the watches qualify to bear the ‘Swiss Made’ signature. This designation is property displayed at 6 o’clock on the dial as well as on the Pendulum’s caseback.

The hour and minute hands of the Pendulum are feuille style hands, which tend to resemble a slender leaf. The hands have a highly polished finish, like the case, and the hand style fits along nicely with the round case shape as well as the dress style of the watch. The second hand is a stick style hand, which has a nice blued steel finish.

The dial features an applied plaque at 6 o'clock, which has the model name and "Automatic". It is painted black and coordinates very nicely with the other black details on the dial.

Here is a close-up photo of the Pendulum's date window at 3 o'clock. It is very nicely executed, with a beveled design and nice border. If you notice, it fits perfectly within the Clous de Paris pattern on the dial. To me, this speaks to the attention to detail paid by Fromanteel to the layout of the watch dial and how carefully they executed the Pendulum's design.

Strap:

Fromanteel designed two special edition handmade straps for the Generation Pendulum watch. Both straps are made from calfskin leather and are equipped with a highly polished 316L butterfly style deployment buckle. The two color choices available with the Pendulum are “Retro Brown” and “Oiled Brown”. Both strap come in two different sizes – Regular and Extra Large.

The regular length, “Oiled Brown” strap was mounted to the Pendulum when it arrived. I would best describe the color of leather this strap is constructed of as medium brown. The leather has a nice, supple feel and smooth texture, with white stitching holding it together along its entire perimeter. The white thread utilized provides a nice transition for the white dial to the strap and helps tie the entire watch design together.

The Pendulum's strap features white stitching, with open ends at the lugs. Here is a close-up of the finishing at the lug ends, including dressed edges.

The backing for the Pendulum's leather strap is yellow, which coordinates with the watch's crown as well as the Fromanteel branding. As you can see from the photo below, the strap includes embossing. In this case, the brand decided to have a little fun and be a bit creative...

The photo below provides a closer look at the Pendulum’s clasp.

Movement:

The FROMANTEEL Vintage Generations Pendulum features a Pendulum Automatic Movement. This is a modified ETA Caliber 2824-2, which is described in more detail below.

Company Description:

The Generations Pendulum Automatic Movement - Modified ETA 2824-2

Company Description

Rather than relying on a battery for its power, the Generations Pendulum is equipped with a self-winding mechanical movement. The watch is wound by the movement of the wearer’s wrist or by manually winding the crown. By moving the wrist, a small weight is set in motion, which winds a small spring inside the movement. The tension of this spring is then gradually released onto several gear wheels regulating the different hands on your dial. On the back of the Generations Pendulumthere is a small glass window that shows the parts of this process in practice.

Our journey into this microcosm demonstrates what true craftsmanship is all about and how the mastery technique and tradition of craftsmanship the Fromanteel family was known for still applies to the company’s exceptional timepieces – fit to address today’s modern, stylish man.

Stock Photos:

Technical Specifications:

• Movement Type: Automatic
• Jewels: 25
• Vibrations Per Hour: 28,800 bph
• Power Reserve: 38 hours
• Winding Direction: Bi-directional
• Hacking? Yes
• Functions: Hours, minutes, central seconds, date
• Swiss Made

Wrist Shots:

For reference purposes, my wrist is 7.25 inches.

The Generations Pendulum measures 42.0mm in diameter and 50.0mm in length. With these dimensions, the watch is the perfect size for MANY and is certainly a popular size in the WIS community. It wears very comfortably on the wrist and will fit nicely on most wrist sizes.

Overall, I have to say, this watch is outstanding on the wrist. It has great balance, fantastic proportions and its overall appearance in person is excellent.

Overall impression and final thoughts:

The new Pendulum by Fromanteel is a great watch and fantastic first model automatic model by the brand. They did a very nice job creating a premium quality timepiece, with very nice finishing and components to match. In addition, they have built on their existing experience to accentuate their packaging to help create an even better experience for their customers for when they first receive their new timepiece.

The 42mm diameter of the watch is very nice size for a modern dress watch and is sure to fit the needs for many folks in the WIS community for use in a variety of situations. I can visualize this watch being used at events ranging from business casual days at the office to dinner out with friends, its design is that versatile. Some may disagree, but that is my take on this piece.

With all of this said, this is not an inexpensive watch. It is something that many will need to thoughtfully consider purchasing and take time to save for. If you fall into this category, I encourage you to take a good look at these and, if you are in the area of one of Fromanteel’s retailers, go out and take a look at one in person prior to making your decision to buy or not to buy.

The bottom line on this one is –>> The Pendulum is a well-executed Swiss Made watch, with very nice finishing, a modified ETA movement and I think it is a very nice watch

Well, that concludes my review …Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments ~
Mark

·
Premium Member
25,162 Posts
EXCELLENT review and pretty awesome pictures.

Very nice looking watch. Not my personal style buy looks real nice.

I like the yellow crown.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Your "Movement " paragraph says it has a NH35A movement! Edit required maybe?
But great review and a really pretty timepiece.
Cheers mate
Derek

·
Administrator
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your "Movement " paragraph says it has a NH35A movement! Edit required maybe?
But great review and a really pretty timepiece.
Cheers mate
Derek
Thanks, it was obviously an oversight as it contains a modified ETA. I revised accordingly.

I appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
At first I was drawn in by the idea this would be similar to the TAG
as a design change

http://us.tagheuer.com/en/tag-heuer-grand-carrera-pendulum-watch

OK, nice looking, high finish, but a let down in a way
However I would like to own this one and will keep an eye out for street pricing
Looks like my Baume and has some really nice attributes. Solid review, thanks

______________ Extra read ____________
Trying to make sense of this, but its intriguing non the less

n the TAG HEUER PENDULUM, the traditional hairspring is replaced by an “invisible” or virtual spring derived from magnets. The device becomes a harmonic oscillator. The magnetic field, generated by means of 4 high-performance magnets and controlled in 3D through complex geometric calculations, provides the linear restoring torque necessary for the alternative oscillations of the balance wheel. The oscillating period of the TAG Heuer Pendulum Concept is resistant to changes from perturbing forces, which is what makes it an exceptionally good timekeeping device. The movement built with this revolutionary oscillator is fully mechanical and does not contain any electronics or driven actuators. The magnets generate a constant field over decades. There is no loss of amplitude and the movement’s frequency can be modulated on a very large spectrum of frequency without overburdening the power supply.

TAG Heuer Pendulum beats at 43,200/hour (6 Hertz). It requires no additional components and is based on physical magnetic properties. Housed inside a motor-sports-inspired case with designs faithful to the exclusive luxury codes of the Tag Heuer Grand CARRERA: polished and angled edges, curved and facetted horns on both sides of black titanium coated steel case.

The special dial aperture at 9 o’clock allows to admire the beating heart of the TAG HEUER PENDULUM avant-garde movement.

·
8,163 Posts
Hi Mark(s) for this review. I do admire your photograpy, crisp with good lighting all round. And I must admit I like the watch as well. It seems Fromanteel is slowly moving into the realm of somewhat better watches although the movement used is bog standard. Perhaps out of marketing reasons (read: price) they used this instead of the Elaboré or even Top version of the ETA. Do you know if the modification pertains just the rotor? Or did they really modify the movement?

Having said all this, it looks a very handsome watch and a balanced overall picture. I do however, find the Euro price a bit steep. But perhaps I'm focuses on the true 'micro brand' offerings too much.

Great review, perhaps some timing data to see how it performs in the real world?

P.S. funny to see how they describe an automatic movement, as if there is something new beyond the battery powered watch:D

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Really sharp looking watch, but at 42mm it's a little large for my tastes for this type of watch, 38mm-40mm would be perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.