1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ball Fireman NightTrain:

Model: NM1092C-L1B-BK
Functions: Hour, Minute, Sweep Second, Date, 24 Hour Military Time Indicator, Quick-set Date Warning System
Case: Stainless Steel with DLC Coating
Diameter: 43mm Height: 11.1 mm
Bezel: Fixed
Crystal: Sapphire
Crown: Screwed-In
3H Gas Light: 63 Micro gas tubes total
Movement: BALL Calibre 124 (modified ETA 2824-2)
Bracelet: Calf Leather with Pin Buckle (no bracelet option)
Water Resistant: 100m
Shock Resistant: 5000Gs
Dial: Black
Bracelet Variations: Calf Strap, Rubber Strap
Dial Variations: Black, White

My Ball NightTrain arrived Monday. This is the original version (Generation I) of the NightTrain featuring the blue and yellow tritium tubes.

Case/Bezel/Crown:
The NightTrain features a DLC coated case that measures in at 43mm x 11.1mm.

The relatively thin bezel yields a tremendous amount of dial real estate, providing a simple and easy to read dial at any angle. The crystal is flat and has an interior a/r coating. The DLC is very different from Black IP, as it is closer to gun metal in appearance.

This particular model also features shock resistance of up to 5000 g's. The fit and finish is near flawless. The crown is steady and winds smoothly, and screws in and out with ease. The crown also bears the Ball Railroad Logo.

The case back features a stunning visual of the NightTrain, a term used to describe trains traveling at night with their opulent sleeper cars.

One conjures up images of the Fireman, hard at work in the engine room, while the affluent of the time slept comfortably assured that the tracks of North America were safe thank to the work of Webb C. Ball. (Mr. Ball was a key proponent of railroad time, and his efforts greatly increased the safety of railroad travel)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webb_C._Ball

Under the hood beats Ball Caliber 124, which is a modified ETA 2824-2. The modifications include a window that displays military time along with Ball's date warning signal, a triangle under the military window that turns to red and back between 9pm -3am to remind one not to set the date during that time frame. The watch was easily regulated and consistently keeps time at around +2 a day on my wrist.

The dial is a flat black that works in perfect concert with the DLC, further enhancing the watches overall legibility. The generously sized sword hands compliment the watch nicely, and the second hand features the Ball Railroad logo. In true aviator form, the minute hand stops just before the minute markers, so as to never obscure them.

Every minute index is generously lumed with T100 H3 vials, as are the hands.
Featuring 63 tritium tubes, the real show begins when the lights go out. It's the Fourth of July every night with the Ball NightTrain.

The strap is the one area where I feel Ball can do some improving. Ball does not offer a DLC or Black IP bracelet for the unorthodox 21mm lugs. The OEM strap just doesn't seem to suit a timepiece of this quality.

I bought the NightTrain because I wanted a T100 tube watch in my collection and this one presented itself in one of those "you'll kick yourself later if you don't get it' deals. I am SO glad I listened to that little voice. If you get an opportunity to own one of these fine timepieces I promise you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Great review. Thanks for all the information!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the great review Marc. That's a beautiful watch my friend. Now that you have written the review I think you should pack it up and ship it to me Ha Ha LOL!!!! I will give a second review on it and then keep it Ha Ha LOL!!!! Thanks for all that you do Marc.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Bump

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
BALLBOY - MY TRIT TUBES ARE BETTER THAN YOUR TRIT TUBES!!!!

:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:%
T100 vs. T25

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
I have no idea what that is- neither do i care i'm just BUSTING UR BALL!!!!!

:%:%:%:%:%
Allow me to educate you on H3 tubes:

The Ball NightTrain uses T100 version tubes (max radiation at 100 millicuries) as opposed to Deep Blue that uses T25 (max 25 millicuries). The T25 spec came from the US Govt when they procured the first tritium tube illumination watches from Marathon for US troops in the first gulf war.

The tubes have a "half life" of about 12-13 years, at which point they will be 50% as bright when new. Luminox and others claim a 25 year lifetime, but by then they are only 25% as bright as when new. The tubes on the dial and hands cannot be replaced here in the US due to NRC regulations on importation, so watches have to be sent back to Switzerland if you want new tubes. As far as I know, Ball is the only manufacturer supporting tube replacements on the dial and hands.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
I have no idea what that is- neither do i care i'm just BUSTING UR BALL!!!!!

:%:%:%:%:%
Allow me to educate you on H3 tubes:

The Ball NightTrain uses T100 version tubes (max radiation at 100 millicuries) as opposed to Deep Blue that uses T25 (max 25 millicuries). The T25 spec came from the US Govt when they procured the first tritium tube illumination watches from Marathon for US troops in the first gulf war.

The tubes have a "half life" of about 12-13 years, at which point they will be 50% as bright when new. Luminox and others claim a 25 year lifetime, but by then they are only 25% as bright as when new. The tubes on the dial and hands cannot be replaced here in the US due to NRC regulations on importation, so watches have to be sent back to Switzerland if you want new tubes. As far as I know, Ball is the only manufacturer supporting tube replacements on the dial and hands.
Thanks for the info, Marc. I am trying to figure out which watch to get, based on the tubes. I don't think I can afford a Ball at the moment, but the info is very helpful!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
Well Whoopty Do 4 U!!!!

:t:t:t
???

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Outstanding review Marc! Thank you for the information. Congrats on your Ball watch, it is a very special timepiece! Wear it in good health my friend. ....Bob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
imported post

Marc that's a real piece of work.Those tubes are second to none.Wear it in good health.I even dig that case back with the steam engine on it.Gotta love those locomotives.Cheers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.