Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Name of Reviewer: Mark (AKA andrema)

Watch Reviewed: Athaya Vintage Lamafa

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company Information:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AthayaVintage.FanPage
Instagram: https://instagram.com/athayavintage/

About from Company Website:

Athaya Vintage - A Timeless Timepieces

My passion for timepieces started when I was a young boy. I still remember, as a little 9 year old, saving my money for several months just so I could buy my first watch. After finally saving enough to buy it, you couldn’t get that watch off my wrist.

Many years later, in 2010, now a man with a family, my passion for watches was rekindled after finding some interesting watch forums. On these forums, I followed fascinating discussions on all kinds of different watches, but I was especially fascinated by threads on how to build your own watch. These forums started to change my whole point of view on watches.

Everyday my passion grew stronger and before I knew it, I had collected many different watches.
As I got deeper into customizing, modding and building watches for myself, I started thinking to myself "Why don't I start producing watch parts?" Not long after that, in 2011, I began selling watch parts for vintage watches.

Things were going well with my watch parts business, but then a new idea started creeping into my mind to the point where I couldn’t ignore it any longer: "Why don't I start my own watch brand?" I resolved to myself that before the end of 2014 I would release my own brand of watches. And, like that, “Athaya Vintage” was born. I chose that name for two reasons: Athaya is my username on watch forums, and, more importantly, Athaya is also my son’s name.

My biggest hope for Athaya Vintage is to enrich everybody's passion for watches by creating timeless timepieces now, tomorrow and forever.

Regards,

Adrian @Athaya Vintage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athaya Vintage Lamafa - Blue Dial/No Date

Stock Photo:

Description from the company website:

This diver watch is based on the legendary 6105-8110 diver watch, which is considered by many to be one of the best divers ever made. The name ‘Lamafa’ refers to Whalers from the eastern part of my country, Indonesia. I chose this name to honor them and their struggle to keep their traditions alive. Watch has a 200 meters water resistant, so yes, let's dive with it.

Watch Specifications:

- Case: 316L Stainless Steel
- Crystal: Sapphire, double domed with anti-reflective coating
- Caseback: 316L stainless steel, screwed-in
- Movement: Seiko Instrument Automatic NH35A Hacked second
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, elapsed time
- Dial: Dark green
- Diameter: 44.3 mm
- Length: 48.0 mm
- Thickness: 13.5 mm
- Lug Width: 20mm
- Water resistance: 20 ATM / 200 Meters

Price: $350

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athaya Vintage is a fairly new Indonesian based watch company, which was founded in 2014. For this watch review, the company has provided one of its Lamafa models for review. This is a blue dialed watch, with an automatic movement, no date and sapphire crystal.

Packaging:

The Lamafa comes packaged in a custom leather travel case, with its logo and brand name embossed into its front cover. The leather of the case is a medium brown or chestnut color and it has a brass zippered closure. The inside of the case is lined with brown velour and has leather pockets and loops for holding the watch as well as accessories in place while traveling.

The case is very nicely made and serves as a great case for transporting watches or storing them while not in use.

Case, Bezel and Crystal:

The Lamafa's case is constructed of 316L stainless steel, with a design that pays homage to the much loved Seiko 6105-8110 diver watch. As you will see from the photos throughout this review, the Lamafa certainly pays homage to this great diver, but makes updates to the design so that it isn't a direct copy.

Below is an add from when the Seiko 6105 series was in production. As you can see the shape of the Lamafa's case is virtually identical to the vintage Seiko, which in my mind is a great thing. Although the case diameter is rather large at just over 44mm, it's short 48mm lug to lug length makes it very comfortable to wear.

The 6105-8110 was released during the Vietnam War and was a popular watch choice of G.I.'s deployed to the region. This was highlighted when the watch was worn by Martin Sheen when he played "Captain Willard" during the filming of the war movie "Apocalypse Now". The inclusion in this classic film has only added to the intrigue surrounding this timepiece and, as a result, has made it very popular in the WIS community.

Below are some screen shots from the film, including a closeup of the watch on the wrist.

The Lamafa's case is constructed of 316L stainless steel, with a vintage inspired design and short lugs. The case has a nice circular brushed pattern finish on the top of the case's surface, with a high gloss finish along the case sides. The finishing is nicely executed and evenly applied throughout the watch.

The finishing on the case is quite nice. As you can see from the photo below, the brushing on the top of the case and polishing on its sides has great appearance. The transition between the two finishes at the top edges is well done.

The bezel design has a similar design to that of the original vintage Seiko diver. The polished stainless steel bezel has a coin-edge griping surface which has been slightly angled towards the sides of the case. This beveled design creates a nice transition to the case as well as better accessibility to the gripping surface, to help with more secure feel while making adjustments.

The action of the uni-directional bezel is nice, with no play and firm clicks though out the entire 120 positions. The bezel is firm and clicks through the positions with little or no play.

The aluminum bezel insert has a dark blue finish, with silver markings. The triangle at the zero position on the diver's bezel features a silver triangle and illuminated pearl styled pip.

The watch's 316L stainless steel screw-in case back has a highly polished finish, which contrasts nicely against the brushed finish of the flat case. The case back design is actually quite attractive and it features a rendition of a traditional spear fisherman from the Indonesian village of Lamalera. These men used a technique of fishing which utilized a bamboo spear to hunt whales. This technique involved the use of the spear while leaping from their wooden boats.

The black model of the Lamafa features a different caseback. Instead of the leaping fisherman, it depicts a whale breaching the surface of the water with a Lamalera hunter throwing a spear.

The Lamafa has a nicely sized, 6.5mm crown, with the "AV" logo engraved into its polished end. The design of the crown is an almost exact replica of the Seiko 6105 crown, with a combination of smaller groups of crips and larger notches.

The crown itself is easy to manipulate when setting the time and has a nice feel and action.

The back of the case has a nice cutout section around the crown. This provides great accessibility to the crown and enables easier access to crown for unscrewing as well as pulling out the crown to the various detents.

Dial and Hands:

The Lamafa's dial is dark blue, with a sunburst bushed pattern. The dial features applied hour markers with polished surrounds and a white painted minute track along its perimeter. The Athaya Vintage logo is also painted in white at the 12 o'clock position on the dial, with "Lamafa" painted at the 6 o'clock position. Depending on the available lighting, the shade of the dial's brushed blue surface shifts from royal blue to midnight blue.

The hands are traditional baton or paddle style hands. They have polished stainless steel frames, which surround C1 Superluminova paint. The hand polished finish matches the hour marker surrounds. The white tone of the hands coordinates nicely with the other white features of the dial and provides a great contrast to the blue dial.

The Lamafa's sapphire crystal sits just above the surface of the watch's bezel and has a nice beveled edge. The bevel creates a nice aesthetic as well as helps to accentuate the vintage design of the watch. To assist with viewing the dial the crystal has antireflective coating applied to its underside.

As you can see from the photo below and several others in this review, the polished markers and hands really pop when light reflects off of them. This helps to make the watch a little more legible at sharp angles.

The dial features applied hour markers, with C1 Superluminova paint applied. This is a great feature and adds a nice refined appearance to the dial.

As you can see from the photos, the C1 Superluminova used on the dial, hands and bezel pip has a nice greenish tone. The lume is fairly bright when fully charged, but tends to fade quickly. As you can see from the photos below, when it is fully charged it glows nicely.

Strap:

The Lamafa comes with a custom "waffle style" rubber strap. The blue models feature coordinating dark blue straps, while the black dialed models have black. While the strap is moderately firm, very much like the original Seiko strap, it is comfortable when worn. This firmness helps keep the watch centered on the wrist when worn and adds stability.

The design of the strap is virtually identical to the vintage Seiko strap that was included with the 6105, with a raised diamond pattern along the length and rigged sections towards the ends of each strap. The strap is 20mm thick at the lugs and tapers down to 17mm at it's tail. This is in line with other vintage straps and certainly stays true to the vintage vibe of the watch.

One great feature to the strap is the thick ends near the lugs of the watch. This helps balance out the watch and provides a nice transition from the case surface down to the wrist. The strap is tapers from 6mm thick at the lug ends down to 2.5mm towards the center and end of the straps.

The Lamafa comes with a custom 316L stainless steel vintage styled "thumbnail" buckle with a brushed finish. The buckle's surface has a nicely brushed finish and a thin tang.

Movement:

The Athaya Vintage Lamafa features a Seiko Instrument Automatic NH35A automatic watch movement. This is a very reliable movement and is well regarded within the watch industry.

Seiko Instrument Automatic NH35A

(Diagram of Movement)

Technical Specifications:

• Manufacturer: Seiko
  • Caliber Number: NH35A
  • Movement Type: Automatic
  • Jewels: 24
  • Vibrations Per Hour: 21,600 bph
  • Power Reserve: 41 hours
  • Winding Direction: Bi-directional
  • Hacking? Yes
  • Diameter: 27.40mm (outside) / 29.36mm (casing)
  • Height: 5.32mm
  • Functions: Hours, minutes, central seconds, date calendar
  • Country of Manufacture: Japan/Maylasia

For more information on the movement, please refer to the following link: http://www.timemodule.com/sii/search/pdf/nh35a_SS.pdf

Wrist Shots:

For reference purposes, my wrist is 7.25 inches.

The Lamafa measures 44.3mm in diameter and 48.0mm in length. With these dimensions, the watch is the perfect size for MANY and is certainly a popular size in the WIS community. It wears very comfortably on the wrist and will fit nicely on most wrist sizes.

Overall, I have to say, this watch is outstanding on the wrist. It has great balance, fantastic proportions and its overall appearance in person is excellent.

Overall impression and final thoughts:

The Athaya Vintage Lamafa has a great vintage vibe, with a modern twist. Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the watch and the changes made to distinguish itself from its inspiration -- The venerable Seiko 6105-8110 dive watch. The finishing throughout the watch and the components utilized are very nice. With this being said, I feel the watch is very well thought out and the total package provided is a good value at $350.

While preparing my review and evaluating the watch, I noticed a few features that could be improved or changed to accentuate the look and/or functionality of the watch. As I do with all of my reviews, I have compiled these points and have listed them below.

· The lume application on the 3,6,9 and 12 markers seems to be a tad thin. This causes a slight difference between those markers and the rest of the markers on the dial. To correct this, I would like to see thicker lume applied to even out the appearance of the markers while illuminated as well as provide a bit more longevity to their glow.

· The custom buckle utilized on the strap is unbranded. I would like to see the company logo etched into its surface. This branding would add a bit of refinement to its appearance. In addition, it would be great to see polished sides on the buckle.

Please note, these points are fairly nit-picky and the watch has a nice design and quality notwithstanding these two points. With this being said, I really like the Lamafa and feel that it is a great homage to a classic vintage diver. While the it utilizes the basic design from the original, the Athaya made excellent choices when updating the design and created a watch with a design that helps it stand on its own.

Well, that concludes my review …Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments ~ Mark

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some photos of a few other Lamafa models from the company's website. These will provide a look at the black dial models as well as a model with a date window:

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Great review Mark. I was very excited about this model when it first popped up. I had the chance to handle one a couple weeks ago and was very impressed with the build quality and finishing for the price. If I didn't have plans to buy one of the new Seiko SRP77X (6309 homage) models soon, this would be on my wish list.
It goes without saying, but this model wears really nicely on an Isofrane (but then again, what dive watch doesn't?).

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Very nice I am tempted on this one but saving towards a bigger fish. Great looking watch I would love to own sometime. Dig the dark blue dial a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks for the review Mark. I was unaware of this brand. Great price point and excellent construction would make this a perfect diver for any collection.
As always great pics!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not convinced. If one can afford this one can probably save a little more and buy the real deal.
Yes, but the real deal in good original condition will cost closer to 3 times as much. There is a big difference in dropping $350 on a brand new watch, than close to $1,000 on a vintage watch with unknown service history for most people.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Mark:
I can tell ya one thing. If'n I was Sheen,there would a been a scuffle for
return of this beauty. Or they could've deducted the price of the watch from
my salary.
Luv tha watch. Loved tha film "I luv the smell of napalm in tha morning"
...... Bob Duvall. Rompin Stopin 1st Cav. Hooah!

Lou Snutt

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Great review. Nice looking watch/homage.
Thanks again for another awesome review. Great pictures and info.
I enjoyed reading this review!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes, but the real deal in good original condition will cost closer to 3 times as much. There is a big difference in dropping $350 on a brand new watch, than close to $1,000 on a vintage watch with unknown service history for most people.
Had a reply drafted, must have got lost in the ether.

I was referring more to a 'resto-modded' daily wearer, not an all original example.

You can save $300-400 just by foregoing the original waffle! Plenty of daily wearers around the US$500 mark.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Had a reply drafted, must have got lost in the ether.

I was referring more to a 'resto-modded' daily wearer, not an all original example.

You can save $300-400 just by foregoing the original waffle! Plenty of daily wearers around the US$500 mark.

True enough, but there is a big difference in buying a $500 40+ year old vintage watch with unknown or questionable service history and buying a brand new homage of it with a fresh movement and trustworthy water resistance for $350.

Being a huge Seiko fan, this watch is a great option for those who aren't comfortable buying vintage pieces. I'd place this one well above the "Smiths PRS68", and just below the Dagaz Typhoon when it comes to 6105 homages available.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great review. I'm a fan of Athaya watch parts and the two production design watches he has put out so far. But I have yet to pull the trigger on either one as I have just some small things I have issues with each of them as it relates to my personal tastes.

For this one in particular, I find myself wishing the crown was a hit larger and wishing it sat flush to the crown guards in the screwed down position. As it is now, it feels a bit anemic to the rest of the proportion.

Other than that, the rest of the watch looks superb. I particularly am drawn to the deep dish affect of the case and dial.

One question: How well does it sit and how comfortable is it on the wrist given what looks to be a fairly thick case back? In the second wrist shot, it looks as if the case is floating a bit on the wrist vs. it being able to sit flush against.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the review, reading it helped sway me towards grabbing one.

I'm really enjoying mine. I'm quite impressed with how comfortable it is, I love the detail and finish and I'm amazed by the NH35A movement as it's gaining 3 seconds/day. My SKX007 gathers dust. I still lust for a good 6105 or 6309 but this watch scratches that itch pretty well.

IMG_1393.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts