1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Reviewer: Don aka Tattoo Chef
watch donated for review

Watch Being Reviewed: Alessandro Baldieri Seamonster SM-46 Gunmetal PVD

Company Website: http://alessandrobaldieri.com/watches/seamonster-sm-46-pvd-gun/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Alessandro.Baldieri.Timepiecess

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/sbaldieri

About/History:
From interior designer, to “Creator of Timeless Watches”

It seems a mighty leap for anyone to make, but for Alessandro Baldieri, a man whose international upbringing and love of travelling the world over have provided inspiration since he was a child, it was a natural progression.

Born in Italy and educated in Rome and U.S. Alessandro who is fluent in 4 languages, studied architecture and interior design in Los Angeles, California and quickly became the jet set designer of the most prestigious villas of the Californian coast – he designed the homes of stars and many other jet setters.
After twenty years of interiors and furniture design, Alessandro was ready to fulfill his ambition to start a new venture. His creative flair, love of luxury and a keen eye for details have led him into the world of watches, setting up offices in London and Singapore.
His goal has always been to create a line of watches for both men and women that reflected his own persona.

Specs:
Case Size 46mm
Case Material 316 Stainless Steel
Glass Sapphire Lesnse
Bezel 316 Stainless Steel
Case Back Stainless Steel (6 Screws)
Limited Edition 300 Pieces
Movement Automatic Myiota 9015
Strap Reconditioned Ammo Leather – Handmade
Buckle 316 Stainless Steel Sandblasted
Box Carbon Fiber

My added measurements:

48mm with crown
55mm lug to lug
16mm thick including domed crystal
33mm dial opening
168 grams

Price $1200 USD.

Stock Photo:

First Impressions:
The first thing that came to my mind is a bottle cap! That is what the bezel instantly reminded me of, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Another thing that really got my attention right out of the box, is the high quality ammo leather strap that comes with the SM-46. You just normally do not see straps of this quality, especially on watches of this price.

Packaging:
The SM-46 Seamonster arrived in a felt lined carbon fiber box.
As you can see, the watch is well protected for transit, but beyond that, the whole watch lays flat in the box. This is a great way to ship leather strap watches in my opinion, because you do not have to worry about the leather strap getting creased or bent. Very nice presentation box that fits the design of the watch as well.

Dial:
The dial is a dark charcoal grey, with applied steel markers and Alessandro Baldieri logo at 12 o'clock position. There are no numbers on the dial, only the hour markers, which really creates a classy looking dial. The hour and minute hand, are custom designed skeleton hands and have lume paint applied to the arrow tips. Unfortunately, that is the only part of the watch that has lume applied, beyond the bezel pip, but more on that later. Another nice feature is the red lightning second hand with arrow tip. This has been done by a few watch brands over the years, of course, but it's not something you see in every watch. Adding a little more color is the SM-46 on the dial, which is also done in red. A very clean and easy to read dial, and one I enjoy looking at often.

Case, Bezel and Crystal:
Easily the most intriguing part of the SM-46, at least to me, is the bezel and case design. The case is CNC machined and done in a way that creates "steps" to the sides of the case, allowing for a case design that I do not believe has been done before. The large signed crown screws down securely into the case and is well protected by the crown guards.

As I noted earlier the bezel reminds me of a bottle cap. The look is great, but so is the function. The 120 click bezel has no play in it and turns with precise and firm clicks.

The crystal is a domed sapphire crystal with an Inner Ar coating. The domed crystal does cause some distortion when looking at it from certain angles, but no issues with looking down at your watch to see the time.

Case Back:
The case back is highly engraved with a divers mask in the center with movement, limited edition # and other standard info. It is secured using 6 hex screws.
But beyond aesthetics, the case back is highly curved, allowing for a great fit on the wrist. This is something rarely seen on most watches.

Leather Strap:
The 23mm leather straps used on the SM-46 models are made from repurposed ammo leather.
This is quite honestly one of the nicest straps I have seen come with a watch, not just for a micro but including many big brands as well.
Sized at 130/85mm it is long enough to fit a wrist up to 8 inches. It is smooth and well made with red, minimal stitching. It also has a matching Pvd scalloped buckle. *Updated* to show what a 24mm strap looks like on the watch. It can be done with a supple leather strap and fit no problem...

Movement:
The movement is the Miyota 9015 automatic movement, and this example has been +8 seconds over a 3 day period, which is great timing out of the box.

Lume:
As I said earlier, the only lume applied is at the arrow tips of the minute and hour hands, and the bezel pip.

On my 7.5" Wrist:

Summary.
I have to say, this is really a great offering from Alessandro Baldieri.
I'm not going to harp on the fact that it only has the tips of the hands lumed. In this case, and for this watch, I think that's a minor point. Everything else on this watch is quality throughout. From the ammo leather strap, to the curved case back, to the domed sapphire crystal, custom dial and hands, and lets not forget the CNC machined case and bezel, which is something unique, but subtle at the same time.
While the price is high for a Miyota 9015, I don't think you can overlook the custom design and machining elements that go into producing this model. This is not a run of the mill design or manufacture, and while it may be pricey, I think it might be worth it.

Here is a look at the other versions of the SM-46 Seamonster:

Thank you for reading, I look forward to your comments.

Please check out the video review in the post below.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Very good review. I would like the watch better with some lume in the middle of each applied marker. I like the shape of the second hand but not crazy about the color. As for the 9015 for + $1000.00........

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Great Review as always. Love this watch...too pricey but love it nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I like the little details like the hour markers, hands, 12 o'clock logo, packaging, etc. Pretty sharp looking strap and handmade to boot. Very cool, AB. Seems like a very smartly designed watch to me but a bit more than I would want to spend at $1200. I also almost need to see 500 or more meters WR on a diver nowadays. I guess I'm spoiled by all the companies offering that now.

Inside Joke: Of course, what I really love is that it has the 9015 movement. :)

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the little details like the hour markers, hands, 12 o'clock logo, packaging, etc. Pretty sharp looking strap and handmade to boot. Very cool, AB. Seems like a very smartly designed watch to me but a bit more than I would want to spend at $1200. I also almost need to see 500 or more meters WR on a diver nowadays. I guess I'm spoiled by all the companies offering that now.

Inside Joke: Of course, what I really love is that it has the 9015 movement. :)

Question:

Nothing to do with this watch, but what do you "need" 500m water resistance for???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Mesh guy I'm the same way with water rating. It's just something I need, but will never put to the test. It can't be explained. It adds a coolness factor to a watch, a toughness, a real rugged feel. At least for me that's how it feels.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Great review[as usual]. I really like the stainless version exept for 1 thing. For some reason I do not like skeleton hands. They just turn me off. I get its a limited edition but I would expect more lume on a diver for 1200 bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
I think the watch looks fantastic save for the lack of lume. I would also expect quite a bit more in that area alone at $1200. Still a sharp piece.

Great review and pics Don.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Question:

Nothing to do with this watch, but what do you "need" 500m water resistance for???

No reason other than its so prevalent to see divers with bigger resistance nowadays. Like the hrv, I will certainly never need one but I like having one on a diver because I can.

This reminds me a little of the question, why does a dog lick his balls? The answer, of course, is that he does this because he can .

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Nice size and movement. I don't personally like PVD so I would have to look at one of the other versions. The strap looks great but I'm an 8.25" and it might ber a little short for me.

Great review.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
A victim of another dumb name.....seamonster.....really?? Dumb name always kills the deal for me...dumb I know but that's a barrier to me..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Great review Don as usual and super pix. Very nice looking watch and I love the name they chose for this one. Fits the build perfectly. Thanks for all the time you invested in this review. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
T C.....
Good reviews.
All detail you have listed...... Just wonder how many time you spend on it.
Want to say Thank You!
Kwok. Miami. Fl.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updated to reflect 23mm lugs and show what it looks like on a 24mm strap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Just got this watch and very pleased with the design, quality and comfort. I am new to automatic watches so I appreciate if somebody help me out with my predicament :)

I incidentally moved the date forward when I was trying to set the time. How can I move the date back, because of me tying to correct my mistake, now the date is on the 19. It doesn't seem to turn the date backwards. I even tried moving the hours backward 24hours to no avail.

For now I just stopped trying to change it, is my only option wait out until the 19 to turn it back on?

Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts