Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just purchased my first BRAND NEW watch. I have purchased many used watches including Fortis, Omega (seamaster), Longine, Vostok Europe, Poljot, Tissot, Seiko and Orient.
Yesterday I got on Jomashop and ordered a brand new Alpina Alpiner 4 Chrono in Black with leather. It was about 65% off of list, so marked down from $3495 to 995 bucks. I almost went for the Raymond Weil Freelancer at a similar price. Also on Ashford there was an Armand Nicolet S05 marked down from $8000 bucks to $1600.
What this tells me is that there must be a serious mark up in Watches. In Guitars, if a guitar lists for 1000 bucks then it cost the dealer around 4-500 bucks. Watches must have a completely unrealistic MSRP. Thoughts?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was beginning to suspect that. It seems if you can get a new watch for the going rate of the same watch used, then it must be over priced in the MSRP. I bought the Alpiner 4 because I saw several mint used ones going for about the same price. And I have always liked Alpina. But they just started making their own movements (or using in house movements from their parent company) so maybe the ETA powered ones are dropping in price...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yep. Used values definitely give a better indication of the market value of the watch.

Also, some grey market watches are heavily discounted, but they can be returned items, factory seconds, items with warranty issues, or display / demo models.

You bought that Alpina for a good, realistic price. You'll be able to resell it, if you decide to, without losing too much. But if you bought at the RRP you would take a bath on resale.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I do want to caution you about something. If you see a killer dealer on a site. Look and see if they are an authorized dealer. If they are not then the factory warranty is no good.

Now such sites may say they offer their own warranty. Which is nice but there is an issue with that. That is they don't have access to factory replacement parts.

Also to anyone looking for the best bang for the buck. I suggest you buy a lightly used watch etc from one of your fellow forum members.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
True story. I was talking to a Beverly Hills watch collector. He told me never pay more than 25% of MSRP. That way you never should lose if you resold.
This doesn't apply to the upper level watches of course.

Check out prices at places like the Watchseller. You can learn a lot. Asking for a trade with dealers will give you wholesale price to try to stay safe.

You learn a lot taking to store/site dealers.

I have bought new watches on Chrono24 from AD's in Germany. Yet international
Warranty was great. And I paid less than resell prices on WR etc. It's all in the art of dealing
Fair, keep your head etc... I recently got an $8000 watch, in house movement etc... On a trade. But because it was not as well known as say Omega or Invicta, forum buyers tend to shy away. I love the watch and can tell you it gets more likes than anything I own.
Was MINT.. A safe queen in fact. Knew the seller. It's a LE, 50 made. My cost was about $1200. And it was in a trade. So just remember to stay focused and ask for the deal

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the discounts on nearly all watches has grown in the last year or two. This tells me that msrp prices have gone up too fast. Even AD's will discount significantly these days. And it's not just affordable watches, but high end items as well. And while it is true that the grey market usually can't provide manufacturer's warranty, the trade-off in price may be worth it. All the more reason to shop around!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
MSRP price on most items, watches being no exception, are trivial. Micro-brands and certain high end luxury brands are usually the only watch companies that list a reasonable MSRP and stick to it. Larger brands and companies will often list MSRP at 30-100% higher than the expected retail price. This allows stores to advertise huge sales to bring in business even though the sale price is no less than what they originally were prepared to sell it for.

Example, the MSRP dictated by Seiko for the SKX007 diver is $495. At no point has that watch ever been sold in a retail location or online for that price (well, I hope not at least!). Most places over the years have sold it between $190-$250, which is half the MSRP. That is common with Seiko.

You ever buy a suit from Jos. A. Banks when they didn't have a sale going on? i hope not. Most of their suits retail around $700, but with sales almost every week they "trick" you into buying them at half off. Even at half off their prices are steep for what you get, but that is what the market will bear.

So, retail on a luxury brand like Rolex is $9,999, expect to pay $9,999.
Retail on a micro-brand like Lum-Tec is $895, expect to pay around $895.
Retail on a fashion brand like Invicta is $2,995, expect to pay about $85 :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree the MSRP seems to be rising. The talking to the music store owner who was in business back in the 50s and 60s, I learned something about the business model then as opposed to the business model now. A fender or Martin guitar of the time may have cost the dealer $200, and if that's the case the list price would've been $400. A 5% or 10% markdown was pretty significant back then. Keep in mind as well that back then used items were not nearly as attractive to buyers as new items. So you had a more realistic MSRP, but you also had less discounting going on. People get excited about 50% off, but of course 50% off of what?
I find it useful to figure out what the used values are. If I can buy a new watch from a dealer and the price is close to the used value, I feel I'm doing OK.
I will say that this Alpina I just bought from Jonashop is the first new high and watch I've ever bought.
It's very strange to, because in some instances the profit margin on goods is very low. Walmart seems to be very comfortable in the 2 to 5% profit margin area. If you take into account the cost to produce an automobile, versus the cost that sells four, then you realize automobile companies do not get a great margin
But all of this discounting talk has made me want to buy a watch with an house movement. I know I'm going to pay a lot of money, but I like the idea of the watchmaker who's name is on the watch, being responsible for developing and manufacturing the movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
But all of this discounting talk has made me want to buy a watch with an house movement. I know I'm going to pay a lot of money, but I like the idea of the watchmaker who's name is on the watch, being responsible for developing and manufacturing the movement

In-house movements, buy a Seiko :)

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Reactions: okcmco and ganson

·
Registered
87 Posts
Reactions: okcmco and ganson
1 - 17 of 17 Posts