Watch Freeks banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hey Justin, nice to hear from you. Just some food for thought. Seiko makes Solar just as good if not better than Citizen. They generally hold their value better too. I have the two below. SSG019 World Timer and SSC376 Perpetual Calendar. They look complicated. But they have video's on their websites that explain everything. They go 9 months on a full charge. The only problem with these is what you see is what you get because of the integrated bracelet system. Just thought I'd throw them out there. I love them. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a safe Black Friday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Justin, nice to hear from you. Just some food for thought. Seiko makes Solar just as good if not better than Citizen. They generally hold their value better too. I have the two below. SSG019 World Timer and SSC376 Perpetual Calendar. They look complicated. But they have video's on their websites that explain everything. They go 9 months on a full charge. The only problem with these is what you see is what you get because of the integrated bracelet system. Just thought I'd throw them out there. I love them. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a safe Black Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! Thanks for that info. I was seriously going back and forth between the two brands. That second one is very nice! I’m finding out that if I had loads of money I would most certainly be an avid watch collector. I always knew I liked watches, but I didn’t realize just how much I like them... lol

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Have fun with it... It's a sickness to some. I'm 77 in with #78 on the way. Loving every minute of it. Let me know when you pull the trigger. Just curious. Good luck.:smile1:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
watchnube:
Heed AtomicTom's advice
He's offering the straight skinny.
I've owned Hamiltons afore.
IMO they are the cat's meow.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome, hope you find the right watch for you soon.

Curious to why you seem to discount automatic watches in your first post?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Read on... "Thanks for that info. Automatic watches are definitely fascinating. I just for some reason had my heart set on an old fashion manual wind only. I wanted something that needed to be wound. "
I get it, there's just something romantic or endearing about the stem wind, imo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another guy who kind of just disappeared. Guess we'll never know what watch he "wound" up with...
Haha Yeah, I did sort of go MIA. Haven’t forgot about all the helpful advice I’ve received from you guys though. I still haven’t settled on a watch yet. I keep going back and forth. My heart still longs for a manual winding watch, but I have been more open in the past recent weeks for other options. I almost settled on a kinetic watch, but read where a lot of people have been having trouble with the capacitors after five years or so. That’s no better than a regular lower end quartz watch if you ask me. I’ve really grown to like the Seiko sarb017 (alpinist) and may end up going with it. Who knows. I could easily change my mind in another week. It’ll probably be another few months before I get anything anyways. My wife is having a surgery within that time and we are planning for that. It’s like they say, patience is a virtue and one I am having to learn well. Lol

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Haha Yeah, I did sort of go MIA. Haven’t forgot about all the helpful advice I’ve received from you guys though. I still haven’t settled on a watch yet. I keep going back and forth. My heart still longs for a manual winding watch, but I have been more open in the past recent weeks for other options. I almost settled on a kinetic watch, but read where a lot of people have been having trouble with the capacitors after five years or so. That’s no better than a regular lower end quartz watch if you ask me. I’ve really grown to like the Seiko sarb017 (alpinist) and may end up going with it. Who knows. I could easily change my mind in another week. It’ll probably be another few months before I get anything anyways. My wife is having a surgery within that time and we are planning for that. It’s like they say, patience is a virtue and one I am having to learn well. Lol
Hey, nice to see you back. Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope everything goes well.
IMO, you'd do well to stay away from Kinetics. More hassle than they're worth. Although this will be when Chaz chimes in to tell you about his ingenious way to charge them in some electronic candlestick set-up.
Anyway, the Alpinist has just had a face lift but I think for the time being, it is only available in Japan. Nice piece.
Been recently smitten by a windup piece myself. The Laco Cuxhaven. Tough sledding after the holidays though. Goes for a little over 1k. Here's a few pics. You are right though, patience is a virtue. But it sure is a hard one. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey, nice to see you back. Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope everything goes well.
IMO, you'd do well to stay away from Kinetics. More hassle than they're worth. Although this will be when Chaz chimes in to tell you about his ingenious way to charge them in some electronic candlestick set-up.
Anyway, the Alpinist has just had a face lift but I think for the time being, it is only available in Japan. Nice piece.
Been recently smitten by a windup piece myself. The Laco Cuxhaven. Tough sledding after the holidays though. Goes for a little over 1k. Here's a few pics. You are right though, patience is a virtue. But it sure is a hard one. Good luck.

Thanks for the well wishes for my wife. It’s a procedure we’ve know was coming, just a little sooner than expected.

That’s a beautiful watch! You’re right though. Hard to find those kind of funds after the holidays. Lol Let me know if/when you get it. I really like the lume on it. That’s nice. I may end up getting a cheaper Seiko until I can swing the Alpinist. We shall see. I may even start a go fund me page to get me a little closer a little sooner. Lol I’ll call it the “hide the mountaineers wrist” page. 😉

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
Just seeing this about your wife Justin. Wishing you guys great luck, and all
the best, and am hoping it's a very healthy, and Happy New Year for you both !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just seeing this about your wife Justin. Wishing you guys great luck, and all
the best, and am hoping it's a very healthy, and Happy New Year for you both !!
Thank you. I appreciate it. I hope the same for you as well! It’s been a wonderful start to 2020 and hope the same for everyone here as well! I will probably be getting a watch, juggling a few as we speak, at the end of February.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Justin the Nebie:
If you have enuff coin of the realm, I suggest the Victorinox INOX.
Daughter gifted me one. Rules the roost in my watch box.

Lou Snutt

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
Thank you. I appreciate it. I hope the same for you as well! It’s been a wonderful start to 2020 and hope the same for everyone here as well! I will probably be getting a watch, juggling a few as we speak, at the end of February.

You got it Justin. Thank you !

Here's hoping it continues being wonderful. :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts