Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son in law just finished his doctorate, something in the computer field, don't ask me what! It's something he had to put on hold for many years while my daughter persued her own career in Astrophysics, so he was left to look after the baby and keep everything running smoothly until the time where now she has pretty much retired and the "baby" is off to Uni.
I thought I would get him a "decent" watch. Something along the lines of an Orient Brazen. (I actually have one of those still in the box unopened that I got from Island Watch for $69, ) I was going to send him it but my only concern is that it is only WP to 50M, and he likes to go Kayaking , so spends some time under water. Do you think it would be ok or should I look for something with 100M + rating? So, under $100, good for water sports, looks good on the River or at work, he's an IT systems manager at a University. Auto is cool but Quartz or Eco or solar are all good choices too.
He has a cheap Casio digital right now.
Thoughts people?
Cheers
Derek

·
1,054 Posts
If he is a "geek" he might appreciate a ProTrek or G-Shock, specifically a PRW2500 or 3500 or a Rangeman which I believe are all WR200m, otherwise a nice Seiko Diver could fit the bill.

An Orient Mako or Ray also could work, they might be cheaper then the above.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
How about a Tissot Expert Solar. Techies should LOVE that one or maybe an iWatch if he is an Apple guy. Jomashop has the Tissots on sale for around 7-800 and the Apple watch is around 400 on their website. Hope that helps. Big congrats on the Ph. D in computers. Thats not so common of a degree so I would imagine he will have a very solid future for himself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny thing is that at home not a bit geeky! I have problems getting an email to him , I guess work is one thing and at home he builds canoes and hand crafts paddles. He's Canadian therefore a bit "odd" eh! Likes hiking and canoeing.
I thought of the diver route just think it may be a bit too rugged. If I could find something like the Orient Brazen but in 100 WR it would be perfect. I don't want anything too pricey as he wouldn't wear it in case it got bashed against a rock. Do you guys think that the 50M of the Brazen would hold up? How much extra is factored into a watch? If they say 50 does that mean it would probably survive 75m?
Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Cheers
D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mesh guy , thanks for your comments, truth is he has been running the comp systems at the Uni for about 15 years, just never got around to finishing his Phd until now as I stated in my first post. I'm so happy he got it done finally, before he retires lol!
Cheers mate
Derek
Ps : if I had the funds for a Tissot I'd buy it for MYSELF!

·
1,054 Posts
Funny thing is that at home not a bit geeky! I have problems getting an email to him , I guess work is one thing and at home he builds canoes and hand crafts paddles. He's Canadian therefore a bit "odd" eh! Likes hiking and canoeing.
I thought of the diver route just think it may be a bit too rugged. If I could find something like the Orient Brazen but in 100 WR it would be perfect. I don't want anything too pricey as he wouldn't wear it in case it got bashed against a rock. Do you guys think that the 50M of the Brazen would hold up? How much extra is factored into a watch? If they say 50 does that mean it would probably survive 75m?
Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Cheers
D

Well, I don't really know anything about the Orient Brazen so I can't really say. If you want something like that, then go ahead. The only other thing I could suggest would be a Seiko 5 but it seems that you think quartz would be a better idea. Maybe go to Macy or JC penny or even Ross and find a nice watch that is heavily discounted, I found for example some really nice Victorinox watches at Ross for less then $100. Maybe that's the way to go, best bang for the buck...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tattoo chef ,
That Momentum is a nice pick, just checked out their website , they have some nice pieces I like the pilots too. And they are Canuck also!
Think we may have found the one.
Thanks everyone. You are all excellent as always.
Cheers
D.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Tattoo chef ,
That Momentum is a nice pick, just checked out their website , they have some nice pieces I like the pilots too. And they are Canuck also!
Think we may have found the one.
Thanks everyone. You are all excellent as always.
Cheers
D.

You are welcome. Let us know if you get it and how he likes it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,931 Posts
Derek, actually think the Brazen you got should more than hold up with that 50 meters, and that he would really appreciate it. :) He would appreciate any of these watches the guys are showing, or that you gave him honestly. :thumb:

Huge congratulations to him, and also you sir !

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a Momentum Steelix in my collection that I believe I wore once!
PM me and I will give you a price you cannot refuse!
Al

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agraef,
And the reason you wore it only once is...?
Enquiring minds are nosey!
cheers
D.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Atomic,
Thanks for your comment.
Yes, I am very proud, both of him and my daughter and granddaughter who is off to University this year. (Strangely on an Arts degree considering both parents are scientists !)
Its nice when the kids do good.
After carefull consideration I think I will send the Orient that I got for this occasion in the first place. It has a nice textured dial, smart casual appearence and is cheap enough that if it ends up in the bottom of a river in Yukon or somewhere no big deal. I took a pic of it so you can all see how cool it is. Oh and it's an auto.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts