Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, my name is Daniel Windsor. I am the CEO of DD Allwood, a company that makes high-end wooden products. We supply over 50 brand-name watch companies. But I am writing as an "accidental" collector. I own about 15 watches, most of them I bought on a barter basis, where clients offer to pay part of their invoices with a watch. I do have a unique problem though, I cannot wear my watches most of the time. If somebody from Audemars Piquet sees me wear and Omega, they get a bit upset. You know what I mean.
Anyway, I am writing because I would like some direct feed-back from other watch collectors. Maybe you can tell me what you want or what it is you are looking for in a watch collector's box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Hi TV,

Thanks so much for your welcome and prompt reply. You are right, that is our current web-site. But we are in the process of updating it. I want to make it more graphic and more aimed towards the individual.

Daniel

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Well Mr Windsor here is my take on the watch box Situation.

#1 This all depends on the market place you are after
#2 If you choose the current trend, you will want to make them to fit large watches
#3 IMHO out of the 6 different watch Boxes I have owned the Croton Tower is the best, However it lacks in a couple of area's

A) It was made with Plexi Glass vs Real Glass
b) It had no Interior lighting
c) The Hinges where a bit cheap

The reason I state that I felt it is the best is because it is very subjective. I dont like the Skymall boxes because they take up a tremendous amount of space. I have a smaller box that is similar that takes up less space but the watches are quite tight. So too me, have a vertical box, that houses 18 to 24 watches, that are visible with slide out trays and lighting would be the best of the best IMHO!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hi Ron,

Yours is the kind of response I was just hoping for. I know it is a matter of personal tastes. We try to give everyone a choice of options and love hearing new requests. We offer:-

Different types of wood. Different linings (must be lined to protect the watches)

Different sizes 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, (24, 36and 48 will be availablewithin 8 weeks)

Wooden tops, as well plexi orreal glass as well as bevelled glass.

Flat storage (leather straps) or rigid. Small, normal and extra large watch holders or a combination.

With watch winders.

Personalized by laser-engraving?

Any other suggestions??

Daniel

·
Registered
70 Posts
imported post

Check out the Sicuro watch tower on Shop NBC it has four drawers that hold 6 watches per drawer. The bottom drawer has a valet with room for cuff links with four cubes,watch straps,rollers for ring. The valet can be removed and underneath their is a cut out for three more watchs. All the drawers are interchangable with each other. Bottom to top,top to middle,middle to top,etc. The top has a piece of plexiglass to see the first drawer. This I think is a nice tower holds 21 watches wish it held more. It has supposedly 10 layers of laquer on it with 2 days rest before eash layer. I comes in Mahgony, Medium Oak, and a blond something. It is made out of MDF board so it better not get wet under them coat or it will swell.

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

Welcome Daniel I'm sure you will enjoy your new found "family" !

As far as watch boxes go I look for un-lacquered dark stained Oak/spruce/cherry grained wood. The Ideal display box would hold 15-20 timepieces on neutral earth tone (dark tan) colored velor "pillows" which would comfortably accommodate case sizes up to 52-54mm. The box I picture is more of a chest-of-drawers than a box, with a beveled glass insert on a hinged top, the front of the drawers are concealed behind a set of double door cabinet doors held either by magnet or spring loaded ball bearings. and the top seats flush with the front doors. All drawers are the same size and at least 1 of them could be converted to generalized storage by removal of pillows and dividers.

So far in lieu of finding such a unit on the market at a price less than a low end Breitling, I have so far made due relying on my own , somewhat lacking, cabinetry skills.

Hope this helps
:):):):):)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Hi Maui_freek. What is your estimated budget acceptable for a cabinet like that, with say 2 drawers of 12 watches each?

I enjoy the natural beauty of wood, but one of the problems about unlacquered boxes is that over the year they lose their looks and are vulnerable to warping due to moisture content variations. Still, Hawaii is much better than say Phoenix or Denver as far as that is concerned.

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter though.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I stick with the classic style cases like this.

cases made for large watches? you'll only come across that on very few forums, mainly invicta driven.most standard sized boxes will hold up to 48mm.while some want larger, that means a wider and longer box.Just from looking at your site I would imagine if you made a vertical box the price would be more than 80% of the members here would spring for.Add some wood and pearl inlays into the display top.make them unique from other boxes offered by different companies.I own 9 displays,all different.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Here is what I do know, You have no clue as too what one here or anywhere else will spend on anything. The other thing I know, is this and I quote " 80% of the people here did not make you there forum Speaker"

If I felt that I was getting a $200.00 value I sure as hell would spend it in a NY second. However like the Over Priced time pieces some here purchase, if I dont feel I am getting my money's worth then no I wont. I am not speaking for everybody, but I will bet the 80% you so speak of feel the same way.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Here is what I do know, You have no clue as too what one here or anywhere else will spend on anything. The other thing I know, is this and I quote " 80% of the people here did not make you there forum Speaker"

If I felt that I was getting a $200.00 value I sure as hell would spend it in a NY second. However like the Over Priced time pieces some here purchase, if I dont feel I am getting my money's worth then no I wont. I am not speaking for everybody, but I will bet the 80% you so speak of feel the same way.
I do have a clue ron.I read the forums, I see what people are buying.I'm not closed minded.I asked if you had a 200.00 box.Apparently from your response, I'd say you don't but will say that everyone else would buy one just to say it in spite.so now lets have all of the members post up there watch cases ron.I'll bet that 80% of them are less than 200.00. then that will shut you up.I'll start a post. post your watch displays because ron just has to be right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Interesting to read the comments about what people expect to pay for various watch boxes. I do cover a wide range. Other than the size, there is the type of veneer that are the major factor in the price. The type of lining etc also have an effect, but to a lesser extent. There are other options like Marketry in-lays, real leather lining etc which can add to the value. My quality (and price) is defintely higher that what is shown in the photos above (which I recognize as knock-offs from my designs). For example:-
My 6-watch box sells for $ 90 to $ 220
My 12-Watch box goes from $ 130 to $ 300

Here's a box we made on special order for Eterna. It was for a series of just 10 watches, but can in fact be used for 40 watches (4 levele of 10 each). This is just to show one of our top end products.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Daniel;

I would like a box that holds about 24 watches. Large, both wide and tall. I have several watches that sit up because of the strap and they tend to hit the top of the case. I like oak and the lighter colors (honey). The top should be glass as I like to see the watches and I want light to get to my Eco-drives. I would like a wall mount box to I can free up some room on the dresser top. The inside should be lined with a microfiber or similar material and the pillows should fit snugly in the slots. A winder can be separate. Cost is a factor as there are several 'nice' boxes in the under $100 price range. I might pay more if the box offers something exceptional.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Daniel Windsor wrote:
TV Dinner,
I think your blog is very popular. In the first 2 hours since joining I already have 6 posts and 56 visitors. On questions :- Can I attach photographs to my post ?
Hi Daniel - yes we have a busy site and you should get a lot of great feedback from the members on the type of watch boxes they would like to see.

As far as the pictures you can add them to posts or attach to posts or add to the gallery we have on this site and add to posts that way. Please see the following 2 Help threads about this. Both threads have pictures and explanations on how to do everything with the pictures.

1) http://www.watchfreeks.com/view_topic.php?id=171&forum_id=12
2) http://www.watchfreeks.com/view_topic.php?id=3267&forum_id=12

I hope that helps. Post again if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Daniel Windsor wrote:
nyway, I am writing because I would like some direct feed-back from other watch collectors. Maybe you can tell me what you want or what it is you are looking for in a watch collector's box.
OK you asked so here is a dream box I would love to see.

1) I would love to see a box that is built vertically with 6 watches per shelf.

2) It could be 3 or 4 levels high (16 or 24 watches

3) The TOP should be see through exhibition so the entire top shelf of 6 watches can be seen from the top.

4) The FRONT of each shelf should also be see through so the 3 watches in the front row of each shelf can ALSO be seen from the front. So exhibition on top AND the front. The front row compartments would have to be orientated so the watches in that row would face forward and towards the exhibition FRONT and not sit facing up like normal.
** This is something I have always wanted to see and don't see why it does not already exist. Then your watch "box" becomes a vertical display also with 6 watches displayed on the top level AND 9 more displayed facing front with the exhibition front of the box.

5) Clear plexi glass or glass knobs to pull out each shelf so it will still match the clear exhibition FRONT of each shelf, or no knobs and the shelf notched slightly so it can be pulled out without needing a knob.

6) Materials could be wood on the outside, BUT I would love to see one made out of metal for the outside frame. Making it a MODERN and industrial look.

7) The inside compartments should be made out of whatever soft protective materials you normally use to protect the watches.

8) The compartments should be made to hold watches up to 55mm, that way all watches of all sizes (small or large) will fit with little to no problems. The pillows should be the same size to accommodate this size.

9) One compartment on each shelf should have a REMOVABLE border piece so 2 compartments can be combined into one larger long compartment if desired. I am not sure why I want this, but it makes sense to have 2 compartments that could easily be turned into one longer compartment if needed.

10) The bottom of the box needs to have NON SLIP padding or something on it so the entire box will not slide forward when each shelf is pulled out. This is something that I have seen happen with many of the boxes out there today when placed on smooth surfaces like dressers, desks, etc

James

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

Daniel Windsor wrote:
Hi Maui_freek. What is your estimated budget acceptable for a cabinet like that, with say 2 drawers of 12 watches each?

I enjoy the natural beauty of wood, but one of the problems about unlacquered boxes is that over the year they lose their looks and are vulnerable to warping due to moisture content variations. Still, Hawaii is much better than say Phoenix or Denver as far as that is concerned.

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter thoughYour
Make it 3 drawers very similar to the custom box you posted, put a glass top insert and pillow storage as shown in dedward's post.Line the rest of the inside with velour or velvet and a "convertible" drawer --that would be right about what I had imagined.

You are spot on with the lacquer and swelling, but make it satin not gloss and depending on the execution I'd expect to spend , based on your web price structure and import location ( I have made almost annual trips to Thailand for SCUBA trips, love it there) , somewhere in the $250-$350 range.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.