Watch Freeks banner

Who wins the fight and makes it to your watch case?

• TKO - Omega Planet Ocean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DRAW - I can't decide!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Up to battle today are two watches that are very popular on the watch forums -- the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 and the Seiko Marinemaster 300m SBDX001.

These watches are very similar in design and the fit/and finish on them are excellent. They both are in the same price range on the new and preowned markets and sell very quickly. I own both and feel that they are worth the price and either one would be a great choice for a nice professional dive watch.

I have my thoughts on whick one that I would select....but, if you only could select one, which one would you select?

Here we go.....LET'S GET READY TO RRRRUUUUUUMMMMMBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

In thered corner...

Seiko Marine Master 300 (Model SBDX001)

Specifications:
• Case: One-piece stainless steel
• Strap: Stainless steel AND extra rubber strap
• Crystal: Domed Hardlex with anti-reflective coating
• Movement: 8L35 Automatic/hand-winding, 26 jeweles, 50 hours power reserve
• Water resistance: 300 meters with screw-down crown
• Lumibrite hands and markers
• Bezel: Unidirectional coin-edge with Lumibrite marker
• Date window
• Anti-magnetic
• Dimensions: 44mm (42mm where the case meets the wrist), 14.6mm thick & 49.4 lug to lug
• Weight (w/ stainless steel bracelet): 210g

In the blue corner...

Omega Planet Ocean[/b] 42mm (Model 2201.50)[/b] [/b]

[/b]

Specifications:[/b]

• Case: Two-piece stainless steel with caseback
• Strap: Stainless steel
• Crystal: Saphire with anti-reflective coating
• Movement: Omega 2500 Co-Axail, Automatic/hand-winding,
27 Jewels, 48 hours power reserve

• Water resistance: 600 meters with screw-down crown
• Super Luminova hands and markers
• Bezel: Unidirectional coin-edge with SL marker
• Helium Escape Valve
• Anti-magnetic
• Dimensions: 42mm (where the case meets the wrist) wide, 14.5mm thick & 47.7 lug to lug
• Weight (w/ stainless steel bracelet): 178g

DING.....LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

The PO is one of my grail watches. I've loved it since the first day I saw it. Someday, hopefully soon, I will own one. There is no doubt in my mind who wins this battle.

The PO in a first round KO.

·
Registered
891 Posts
imported post

I love the PO. My personal choice would be with the orange bezel but, either way the overall design is awesome.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
imported post

This is like comparing a Porsche to a Lexus... Both great cars but come on! Omega all the way baby!:c

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Omega all the way. I just personally like the look and design of it better. One punch TKO , Omega wins for me.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I like the Seiko a lot, but I LOVE that PO model (small size or larger size). There is just nothing else like it.

PO for me.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
imported post

Porsche to a Lexus??? Really? More like Lamborghini to a Honda Element...

The PO doesn't even enter the ring because it has too much class...No way this Seiko would win.

Not even Erik would vote against the PO...right Erik??

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
imported post

Seiko outnumbers Omega 150 to 1 in my collection-I gotta go Omega here, Been looking at PO on bracelet with orange bezel

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
imported post

rbmbb wrote:

The PO doesn't even enter the ring because it has too much class...No way this Seiko would win.

I was trying to be sensitve to the Seiko crowd:lol.... In all honesty, the higher end Seiko Movements are arguably just as good if not better than any high end Swiss Movements... Here the differencelies mostlyin the case/dial design and the "Omega" brand name and resale value...

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

A few points from looking at these two together last night

Movement - Seiko Wins with it's in-house movement.
Case S- Seiko Wins with its one piece case. Less chance for failure for a professional diver.
Bezel - PO wins with its 60 click bezel that turns crisply, where the MM is sort of stiff and more smooth.
Lume - Close, but Seiko lume is a little stronger and it lasts a little longer
Flexibility - the PO wins, because it can be worn in more than one situation (jeans to tux). This would be a stretch for the MM.
Bracelet - PO wins, they are both 20mm but it is more substantial.
Clasp - MM wins for its ratcheting divers extension

Who wins...it depends on the situation. If we are talking professional diver (what this battle was about), Seiko wins hands-down! If we are talking about a professional diver which can be worn is almost any situation...PO.

So far, I like them both.

If it was a three way battle with my Tudor Heritage...that would be a blood bath!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
imported post

Andrema-

The PO is gorgeous! It looks like a work of art on the wrist! If Alexandros of Antioch were alive today, he would of made arms for the Venus de Milo and placed one on each wrist!!!

The Seiko looks nice...but I wouldn't carve an arm out of stone for one...

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

i would take both
po wins

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

rbmbb wrote:

i think a better comparison would be between a BMW 535i (MM300) and an Audi S6 (PO). both great looking cars, but that S6 just has a little something extra.

looks- there's nothing i don't like about the PO and i've loved it for far longer than i knew about the MM300 (sounds weird, doesn't it?). the looks of the PO are far more pleasing to the eye but if i had to choose one to go to hell and back, it'd be the MM300. slight advantage- PO

price- the MM300 is a little less expensive than the PO. advantage- MM300

value- the Omega should hold it's value better, but a lot depends on what the Swiss and Japanese do to devalue the Franc and Yen. SBBN007 Tunas have gained in value and are reselling higher than when bought new 3-4 yrs ago due to the rise in the Yen over the last 5-6 yrs advantage- push

engineering- the engineering that went into the MM300 case- no He valve in particular- and the 8L35 in-house mov't is superior to the PO case and mov't. IMO advantage- MM300

this one's a push for me. in order for me to decide this i'd have to have at least held both and preferably have them side-by-side. i don't have the luxury of either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts