Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends,

The average person outside of WFs has either one watch or no watch at all and instead checks to see what time it is using his or her cell phone. That one watch is probably a quartz watch and he or she probably goes to the guy at the mall kiosk for a new watch battery once every few years, shells out ten or twelve dollars, and it's no big deal.

I have about 30 watches in my so-called watch collection and most of them are quartz watches. It is my understanding that it's best to always keep a quartz watch running, and pulling out the crown is not advised. As my collection grew I worried about having so many watches burning through their batteries and the cost and time involved in running to my watch repair guy once or twice a month for a battery replacement, so I watched a couple of instructional videos on how to replace my own batteries and I was amazed at how easy and cheap it is. I now change my own batteries.

I think most quartz watches take one of the four battery sizes below, or at least that's my experience with the watches in my collection, so I keep a small supply on hand of about five batteries of each of the four sizes, and this small supply will last me for years.

http://www.esslinger.com/watch-batteries/

Eveready 317 one battery costs 76¢
Eveready 364/363 one battery costs 39¢
Eveready 371/370 one battery costs 59¢
Eveready 377/376 one battery costs 39¢

The brand of the battery in your watch will likely be a brand other than Eveready, so in this same site click on "click here for watch battery cross-reference chart" to determine which brand of battery corresponds to what in some other brand.

Next to that box is another box that says "click here for watch battery replacement guide" where you can watch
an instructional video on how to change a watch battery.

You can’t beat the website esslinger.com for watch parts, movements, batteries, etc.

PS at Christmas time those battery powered candles probably take an Eveready size ECR 2032 at a cost of 49¢ each.

I hope this info was useful.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
The prices are cheap on that site but you need to include shipping if you're not buying a whole bunch of them. I use a guy on e-bay that's cheap and shipping is included.
It's great if you only need one at a time, and a lot cheaper than in a store.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
please provide a link to your guy's eBay website

·
Registered
7,651 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
I took a quartz watch (with screw back) to a watch store once to have the battery changed. Needless to say the guy ripped me off big time.

After a while, when I started getting experienced, I said to myself that I'm pretty stupid.

Although the case back would have been a little tricky to open, it's not rocket science, and batteries are to be found everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts