1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The watch in question: A Vostok Komandirskie 020716 “Explorer”

Note: this is an independent, unpaid and un-sponsored review

Why did I buy this watch?

I’ve been looking for a new Vostok for a few years now as my original one has a broken mainspring. I’m also a tart for a dive watch with a white face (ie: Rolex Polar Explorer), and I love a date at 04:30, so this was a no-brainer for me.

Tech Specs

Case: 41mm
Height: 15mm
Lug Width 20mm
Lug to Lug 48mm
Weight 159g
Water Resistance: 200m

The Movement

This watch runs the venerable Vostok 2416 automatic movement, with 31 jewels and a power reserve of 31 hours.

Accuracy is stated at -20 to +60 seconds per day, but my own trials show it to be only a few seconds fast per day.

Crown, Case, Crystal & Bracelet

The case is brushed stainless steel with a stainless screw-down crown (also brushed).

The bezel is the standard bi-directional Vostok bezel in polished stainless with what looks to be a shiny black plastic insert (it might not be plastic, but I can not tell really)

The crystal is the typical classic Vostok Amphibia acrylic.

The Bracelet is stainless, with polished outer links and brushed inner links, with pins for adjusting. Mine did not ship with the bracelet shown on Meranom, rather it has a push-button style hidden / deployment style clasp, which makes it very comfortable to wear while typing / working in an office. The quality is actually not bad and is miles ahead of the Vostok bracelets from the past. This bracelet has not pulled any hairs on my wrist (thankfully!). The only drawbacks are that there is no fine adjustment, the buttons can be engaged by accident when wearing it (this is rare) and there are no proper fitted end-links, which means there is a large gap between the bracelet and case.

Face

While the watch face says it’s a Komandirskie, it’s rated to a depth of 200m, so technically this is an Amphibia case, crystal etc.

Contrary to some Vostok watch faces, this one has the lume pips lined up pretty well with the hour markers.

The hands are the typical thin Komandirskie hands with the typical Vostok lume, meaning it won’t last through the night, but isn’t that bad either. Personally, I would have preferred the broader Amphibia hands.

Water Resistance

Rated to 200m…. But it’s a Vostok, so likely I will survive much deeper than that (not that you will though).

Price

USD 82 on ebay. Typical Vostok pricing. and probably the best “bang for your buck” that you can get in a dive watch.

Conclusion

This has quickly become my EDC watch. it’s extremely wearable, looks fantastic and is dead reliable.

If you want to buy one, the best place is Ebay (Meranom does not have it in stock). Just search for RUSSIAN VOSTOK AUTO MILITARY KOMANDIRSKIE 020716 WATCH

·
Super Moderator
4,364 Posts
Doesn't look too shabby and the reported accuracy of these watches is impressive.

Beats me how they still manage to make a profit at that price.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't look too shabby and the reported accuracy of these watches is impressive.

Beats me how they still manage to make a profit at that price.
They're using the same movement since 1967, so they have not had to pour money into a new calibre, which saves quite a bit of money.

They are also located in a slightly remote part of Russia, so I imagine the salaries are not very high and production costs are low. I saw a video on Youtube of a factory visit (albeit in Russian), their tooling is not the latest nor the most recent, but it gets the job done and it's an in-house movement.

However, at the same time, it also shows how much the actual production costs for a watch are, which makes it hard to see how some companies can charge such extravagant prices for what really is only some gears and metal ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,766 Posts
What a great review, along with watch honestly FB ! (y)(y)

This watch actually amazes all the way around, just like the company
that makes them. 😵😎Seriously, it's tough thinking of another brand
out there that makes it's own watches, and not only THAT, but makes
them so affordable. 🤯It's crazy, and to many, would sound too good
to be true, but it is. ..And by the way, didn't know the movements have
been the same since 1967 either. 😮That is remarkable ! ..Why change
a good thing as they say right Hector?!

Not only do have an impressive movement, but just a really terrific
looking watch. ..I'm amazed with my two Vostoks, and it's beyond
cool to hear that you are as well. Even the bracelets sound like they
are better now which is fantastic. So neat sir, and really neat review !
..Thanks a lot for doing it !!!

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after 1 month it has become my "go to" watch. And it is dead accurate!

So I'm more than satisfied with this most recent Vostok :)

·
Super Moderator
13,766 Posts
So amazing to hear Hector, and again, for the price,
and everything, it’s even more impressive. 😀😎

Amazing looks, price, AND accuracy?! That’s honestly
everything you can ask for, or want within a watch. 😉
Really appreciate the update FB !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts