Watch Freeks banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hita folks,
Its that odd and weird Uncle Rod, coming to you from the armpit of America {Missouri, trust me, its the pits}.
I am not going to be overlong with this mod description {yes , I know you are all relieved }. But I thought I would share this little gift to myself.
We here in uncle Rods funhouse have had ourselves a pretty bad time as of recent. Mucho health issues with my wife, and a few for myself. Ahh getting old is so much fun! Even my daughter had a few health problems in the past few months. So all the worry adds up, and brings you down hard. The worry makes you feel like not much is worth doing. It got so bad, I haven't built a watch in a few weeks {gasp ! I know !}.
Anyhow, this watch started out as a new Vostok {Wostok, Bocktok , Smartalk, how ever you say it}, model number 710394. Its from the new line of watches being made by that old Chistopol watch factory we all know.
I got the watch some time ago and it has sat. Now the new watch is decent looking, but to me something is off, so I never wore it. Divers watches should be dull steel or media blasted things, to reduce glare so the fishies and other wee beasties in the sea don't bite your hand off.
So I figured this watch ripe for customizing and modding.
In my minds eye {a crazy tilted place for sure}, I see a divers watch from mother Russia to be a functional, simple as a cinder block, and not a fashion plate. You would expect a Russian divers watch to look like a 1960's divers watch in the 1990's, with styling that makes you wonder if designers in Russia only ever saw US fashion magazines from the 1960's and 1970's.
So thats what I did.
The dial was fine, it has that fishy/ funky flavor that foreign watches has. I roughed up the case with fine sand paper to accept paint better, then I enameled the watch case with satin finish black paint. I then cured the case so the paint was hard. Then I roughed up the paint job with fine sand paper, giving it the look that the watch was once all flat black, but was well used and worn.
I ordered a new after market bezel from Germany, to replace the one original to the watch{ which I did not like, way too shiny}. The new bezel accepts Seiko bezel rings, so I remodeled a new bezel ring to be all flat black with just the luminous pip showing.
I then re lumed the 3 original hands with super luminova.
Then I put it on a very simple OD green nato band.
Heres a pic of the original new watch.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The watch looked good, but needed some other touches. A watch worn by some diver in the spetnaz or in their navy would surely have a working watch, but it would be cared for, yet obviously used.
So I added faux grunge.
I took flat black pain and rubbed it into the grips of the crown and the bezel ring. That gave it some faux age. I hate man schmutz that get into the crevices of a used mens watch, as I have spent WAY too many hours removing crud from old watches I repair and sell. So this schmutz is clean !
I hope you like it. I think it looks good this way. Much more true to the 1960's divers watch theme.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for looking !

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for looking everyone.
I am pleased with the watch. From its side, it looks very much like old Seiko divers watches from the 1960's.
I normally don't like "worn" looking watches, but the silver showing on the edges of this watch somehow fit.
I may mod other Vostoks, so many people are modding Seikos, they are emptying the market of usable watches. The only issue with Vostoks , is the parts take FOREVER to arrive.
Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts