Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I find striking is just how well the Tisell looks compared to the Rolex, if anything can be seen it is the Rolex's lack of AR on it's crystal. The bezel color seems to match better with the dial on Tisell also, or maybe that is just the lack of AR distorting the shading of the dial.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Intellectually I understand what the Rolly represents in expenditure, history and legacy, R & D, and prestige. But I cannot deny that the Tissel is the prettier piece in your comparison. It seems to be the bargain of the century to me

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intellectually I understand what the Rolly represents in expenditure, history and legacy, R & D, and prestige. But I cannot deny that the Tissel is the prettier piece in your comparison. It seems to be the bargain of the century to me
I agree with you whole heartedly. I own a 16610 Sub which sits comfortably in a safety deposit box as an inheiritance for my oldest boy.

Rolex has over the years improved on the Sub, I recently checked out the Subc and found it light years ahead of my 16610 in almost every catagory. Movement, case design, ceramic bezel, and the biggest improvement of all, the Bracelet with the glidlock adjustment.

I was tempted to flip my 16610, but is promised to my son, it was the watch I wore as he was growing up.

I had grown tired of the sub look, but recently on a vacation tried an Invicta Pro Diver I had on a bond Nato I recently picked up. I was so impressed with how comfortably and nice it looked, I decided to pick up this Tisell when the Invicta finally gave up the ghost.

Just one main complaint with Rolexe's R&D, when are they going to wake up and put some AR on the sapphire crystals

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That Tissel visually is a good copy. Wow! Personally, I prefer the Rolex. I suppose that I usually go with the original, but hey, not always.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What I find striking is just how well the Tisell looks compared to the Rolex, if anything can be seen it is the Rolex's lack of AR on it's crystal. The bezel color seems to match better with the dial on Tisell also, or maybe that is just the lack of AR distorting the shading of the dial.

Thanks for introducing us to this new brand Chazman - great find! Really helpful review and photos.

What about the 'feel' of the watch? Weight-wise? Balance on wrist? Is the Rolex better on that front?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I believe I read that's on the table. If you look at Rolex over the last 40 years you realize that they are very conservative company. Unlike other top shelf companies, they really stick to what's been selling. I believe I read that's on the table. If you look at Rolex over the last 40 years you realize that they are very conservative company. Unlike other top shelf companies, they really stick to what's been selling. I guess they don't want to rock the boat, and I know what's working. But lately they've made significant improvements to their movements, their bracelets, and their cases, without changing the look of their watches. A little AR coating on the glass
Because the black submariner with the black bezel is so ubiquitous, it has turned me off to that style of watch. But I'm wearing an Oris diver model 7533 right now. Slightly bigger than the Rolex sub, beautiful textured blue dial and blue bezel, and arguably a better bracelet. So maybe a Rolex is in my future. I could probably afford a sub within a year if I do some extra gigs. But then I look at the Daytona, and they just look so cool. And there twice as much money!!!!
Sorry to ramble and I appreciate you putting your watches out for comparison. I will probably end up buying one of the Tissel watches. However I'm thinking about one of the moon phase 1, which is a manual wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because the black submariner with the black bezel is so ubiquitous
That's just about the same way as I feel, that's why I went with the Kermit instead of black version.

The New Sub with the Maxi case wears larger and has more wrist presence compared to my 16610 which always appeared a tad too small on my 8" wrist.

As much as I love the new Sub-C, if I was going to go the Rolex route again, it would be a Explorer II Polar, that watch really impresses me!

Reactions: okcmco

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I am really liking the look of this clone.

I stopped shopping for clone watches that don't have a noticeable difference from the original a while ago (more than a re-branded dial and whatnot), but considering what i have read from you and others, I might have to give one of these a try. I love the fact that it uses a Miyota 9015 over the usual seagull offerings. The nicer movement gives additional piece of mind, as I have had numerous sterile subs in the past that the movements crapped out long before anything else.

Anyway, on a whim I just ordered a black dial/green bezel version.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am really liking the look of this clone.

I stopped shopping for clone watches that don't have a noticeable difference from the original a while ago (more than a re-branded dial and whatnot), but considering what i have read from you and others, I might have to give one of these a try. I love the fact that it uses a Miyota 9015 over the usual seagull offerings. The nicer movement gives additional piece of mind, as I have had numerous sterile subs in the past that the movements crapped out long before anything else.

Anyway, on a whim I just ordered a black dial/green bezel version.
That's the same model I have, the Kermit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
im sorry but i just dont like the whole , im gona build watch that looks like someone elses , i would never buy a homage but thats just me , just saying :cool:

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:capitulate::capitulate:;):D:D
im sorry but i just dont like the whole , im gona build watch that looks like someone elses , i would never buy a homage but thats just me , just saying :cool:
Then don't buy a Rolex, since the Submariner is a homage to the Blancpain 50 Fathoms.

·
Registered
527 Posts
:capitulate::capitulate:;):D:D

Then don't buy a Rolex, since the Submariner is a homage to the Blancpain 50 Fathoms.
No it's not. They were released around the same time and were more or less developed concurrently.

That's just another one of those urban myths that get perpetuated by the interwebs.

Nothing happens in a bubble.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No it's not. They were released around the same time and were more or less developed concurrently.

That's just another one of those urban myths that get perpetuated by the interwebs.

Nothing happens in a bubble.
Blancpain 50 fathoms was introduced in 1953, while the Rolex Sub was released in 1954. Those early models looked almost identical, I rest my case.

Blancpain vintage 50 Fathoms

Rolex 1st Submariner.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The Sub looks more like a period Turn-O-Graph, and was an evolution of said watch.

Or are you suggesting Rolex had no intention to make a dive watch with a rotating bezel, then saw Blancpain's watch, and then engineered a new watch, with new (for the era) technology, in less than 12 months?

It's not an homage of the FF. That's just internet conjecture, perpetuated by people who should know better. Like the whole 'unreliable 2500 co-axial' thing...

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Blancpain 50 fathoms was introduced in 1953, while the Rolex Sub was released in 1954. Those early models looked almost identical, I rest my case.
Similar looks around at the same time does not always an homage make :)

In 1969 3 different companies all brought the first self-winding chronographs to market (Seiko 6139, Calibre 11, and the El Primero). Were they all in a race? Were they all competing for the first spot? Were they copying each other? Or was it that they all simply happened to be working on similar ideas at the same time and chose that year to make the final push to market? Then again, who cared in 1969, since by December Seiko had released the first Quartz watch and the Swiss watch industry was about to turn upside-down in their own adoption of quartz movements.

Good artist create and great artists steal, but sometimes ideas strike in two different locations at the same time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts