Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

So my grandpa gave me this watch, As I was the first grandson to graduate highschool. He lives in Vienna and he said he got this watch in the mid 1960s. I love the watch, its a zodiac. I went to a jeweler to get an appraisal and he appraised it at $16,800!!! Nice watch for a 17 year old :). The jeweler didnt know alot about it, but he knows its very rare and it is for sure solid gold.One thing though hesays I should not do iswind it manually because there is no gasket in the crown or something. I should just set the time and start wearing it. So Im going to get it serviced by him, $240 for everything, new oil and a new gasket and complete service. Please if anyone knows anything about this watch, reply! I would love to know more about it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
imported post

Nice watch!

You should have another jeweler that is knowledgeable on Zodiac watches provide an estimate of value. I have a feeling that the first may be a little off.

Do you by chance have a clear shot of the caseback or movement?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Wow sorry, I was in a rush, I forgot to mention that is actually the 2nd appraisal. The first appraisal was for $17,150.. We have to bare in mind that is replacement value..Not market value. I dont have a pic of the movement though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have one of the caseback though. My Samsung Galaxy S2 wont get a very good pic of the caseback.. There is a model number or serial number in the very middle of the caseback. And on the edge of the caseback it says "ZODIAC AUTOMATIC ANTIMAGNETIC WATER AND SHOCK RESISTANT. Also on the clasp, says Swiss made. On the left side of clasp it says "750" In a diamond or box shape. On the right side of the clasp it says "CHI" in a circle.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
imported post

WOW...:BE Solid gold to boot!:c

·
Registered
74 Posts
imported post

That is a beautiful Zodiac you have there. Hopefully you had it serviced and are enjoying it?

I have an old Longines solid gold that is rectangular in shape. It has a plastic snap-in crystal however and has absolutely no water resistance. It has a very tightly woven bracelet. I can't get it around my wrist however. I am much larger than I was in the 70's when it was purchased.

I guess I should have it appraised and try to sell it to someone that would get some good use out of it.

Thanks for the picture of your watch and let us know how you came out with the maintenence.

Mainspring

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey, I would love to see your longines!! The jeweler that appraised my watch said in order to get a replacement watch of the same sort, He would replace it with a solid gold longines. And no, I just recently moved to Toronto, Ontario, So I was a little short on money myself, But within the next few weeks I am going to get my Zodiac serviced so I can start enjoying it :)

Look forward to seeing your Longines :)

James N

·
Registered
74 Posts
imported post

I have a good digital camera and I need to take some pictures and try and get them on this forum. I haven't ever done it before but I need to try it anyway. Please keep in contact and let me know when you are able to get your beautiful watch in good working order.

Ron B

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I will keep in contact, also add you as a friend, I would love to see what an old Longines that is solid gold looks like,

James N

·
Registered
50 Posts
imported post

James,

Wow, that's a beauty!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts