Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to learn that some vintage watches are actual quite affordable.Went to a vintage watch site and most in quite good condition could be had for under 500 usd.Watches to buy.com and Darlor watches both have a lot to offer for not to shabby prices if your into that 50 60s mad men look like myself.I was always under the impression that vintage meant deep pockets but I guess that's not the case

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I was shocked to learn that some vintage watches are actual quite affordable.Went to a vintage watch site and most in quite good condition could be had for under 500 usd.Watches to buy.com and Darlor watches both have a lot to offer for not to shabby prices if your into that 50 60s mad men look like myself.I was always under the impression that vintage meant deep pockets but I guess that's not the case
It depends on the brand and type of watch. I've shown a vintage (Bakelite bezel) Rolex GMT here some time ago and that really, really needs deep pockets! But nice Omega dress watches can be had for the amount you mentioned. My dream is a very early mint Sub but I'll keep on dreaming :D

Reactions: n80leather

·
Registered
489 Posts
Agreed. I have the pleasure of owning a few vintage Russian watches and they're quite exceptional for the price.

And thanks for the tip! I'll be checking those sites out for sure. :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
This is another good site for vantage watches -> Girards

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is another good site for vantage watches -> Girards
It's starting to look like a busy Sunday for me looking at all these vintage pieces. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: GoodWatch

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
It's starting to look like a busy Sunday for me looking at all these vintage pieces. Thanks for the link!
No problem, my goal is to get as many members here to live in cardboard boxes and under bridges as I can :D :D :D Spend, spend, spend :D

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
You're so right HW, and if you look at some of the more funky, not as well known brands from years ago, you can find them for way less than that also. I know ebay has a ton too, but those places you are listing probably have the watches working, and serviced, so that's extra nice ! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I'm Vintage enough, I don't need my watches to look as old as I do!

Reactions: n80leather

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the trade-off of seemingly low prices of vintage watches is the maintenance factor that has to be considered.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My very first vintage watch was a King Seiko and I got slightly burned. I won't discourage new guys from taking an interest but caution that it be done much more thoughtfully than with a new watch. I do think it's a great way to immerse yourself in the history, mechanics, and joy of watch collecting but It comes with a commitment and sometimes consequence.

I recommend first establishing a good quality local watch maker/repair person. Pry both your repair person and seller for knowledge before buying. Do your own research. Don't buy on looks alone. Be prepared to spend extra money on service. I make it sound like a pain but it's actually fun and rewarding if done right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts