Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went out on a limb and very glad I did. Have always admired the Lemania 5100 but really wasn't thrilled about the unusual case designs commonly used by Sinn, Omega, Orfina, etc.

After spending many years unable to pull the trigger stumbled across a much lesser know "brand" Lorenz, an Italian company and part of the Gevril Group. A quick google search would reveal their history. Apparently, because of the name on the dial these are REALLY affordable. Picked mine up relatively inexpensive and an incredible bargain. This model is from the first wave of submariner Lemania 5100's produced at Lorenz in the early 80's.

This has easily become my favorite. What's not to love? Mercedes hands, patina on the lume, faded dial/bezel, and dome acrylic are nostalgic. The bracelet is signed with 20-16mm taper. I've grown very fond of the 40mm case. I used to let larger case size dictate my preferences. Not anymore, this thing wears beautifully. I've been burned before on a vintage watch, King Seiko, and really glad I gave it another try. It's keeping approx -1 sec/day and the power reserve is strong. The only thing I can think of I wish it had is Lyre Lugs.

I've cleaned and brushed the case, Re-lumed the bezel pip, and inspected the movement for serial number/authenticity. I hope to replace the crystal, if possible with sapphire. There are a few noticble divits where there must have been deep scratches that were polished out. Enough blabbering....here's the pics!
Will add more when I return home : )

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wow Dustin. That really looks fantastic.

It's easy to see why it is a favorite.

And it looks right at home on that glove strap.

·
11,577 Posts
Very nice find. Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Lorenz is a new brand for me. Looks good and vintage watches can be very special. I'm sure you will give it the love it needs to return to former glory. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
12,832 Posts
Now that is cool Dustin !!! Holy cow ! :cool: :cool: Such a phenomenal looking watch all the way around with the stealthy dial, and bezel, as well as terrific case ! Can't get enough of every detail to be honest. Even the second hand helps make this watch stand out. Plus you've already got a legendary movement behind it all. ..By the way, great job fixing this one up, and it looks incredible on your strap too !!! Big congrats to you here ! :)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
That glove strap looks great on it, Dustin. I can't see much damage to the crystal from the photos. If possible, I'd choose to leave the acrylic intact. It does add to the vintage character of the watch.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!
Chuck, I very much agree. The crystal really isn't terrible. Only at certain angles can you see two really low spots that have been polished out. i just love saphire : )
Tom, I appreciate your enthusiasm! Glad your share the sentiment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts