Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do you think there is an issue with less people wearing watches and the future of watch wearing has questions?

Watch the video and discussion below

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/BTz4l1sOLdk[/flash]

Comments from video page - Many have given up wearing a wristwatch. Now, it could be making a comeback, and it's unlike any watch you've worn before. Take a moment to check out some new, high-tech watches. Comment on this video: http://www.tvkim.com/watch/929/kim-on-komand-the-return-of-the-wristwatch

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
imported post

LOL...I love how they disabled comments for the video on youtube.

Wearing a watch has been about fashion for decades now IMO. Albeit there is a difference between quality in the types of watches we Watchfreeks like to spend our money on and the average joe blow buys just for fashion alone.

However, let's face it...whether your a WIS or average Joe Blow more concerned with fashion, we all wear a watch for the same reason...fashion statement. That's where I think HP has made a crucial mistake in their assumption. They think tech will convince younger kids to start wearing watches again, because they have identified that "technology" (smart phones) as the main culprit to the watch's demise. Correct observation, but incorrect assumption IMO. I based that opinion on the fact that the kids I do see wearing watches are all wearing Gshocks, because to them, you are cool if you wear a genuine Gshock.

I look at those tech watches in the video and at least where the tech is now, that just seems like a gimmick to me, more novelty than anything. Tech Companies trying to find an application for their technology and a "new space" to compete in to make money.

The main problem with these tech watches and the companies shown in that video is brand image. My marketing gut is telling me the younger crowd M & F A14-25 will not be persuaded to buy and wear a high tech watch, regardless of features, unless it has an Apple icon/logo on it. Every tech company, besides Apple, doesn't have the "cool" brand image to sell a fashion accessory.

Do I and even younger kids want to strap a fashion accessory on our wrist that has an HP logo on it? Sorry, no thanks.

HP needs to get a reality check on their Brand Strategy, if they want to make a product like that. It's not just about making a new product...Brand is almost as important if not more important than the product within the fashion industry IMO. HP's brand has been stale and stuffy for decades now. Yet they want to come in and try to compete against long standing fashion brands? I don't think that's going to happen.

Now if HP is smart...someone in HPs biz dev dept calls up Omega and signs a joint venture product with Omega. Get product placement for that High Tech Omega watch within the next bond film and launch the product day and date with that bond film. Now that would be a winning product. Celebrities and every red blooded male internationally would kill to have that on their wrist.:c
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/jN_rxeBIi8Y&feature=related&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

I dont know if there is issue with less people wearing watches.

Some people are like us, some just wear a watch, because they always have, and only have 1 or 2, and some dont wear a watch at all.

My cousin doesnt wear a watch, he just hates wearing one....but his friends all wear watches (they are in their mid 20's).

I think its always been the same. Some people love them like us, some people dont wear them at all, and some are in the middle, and just always wear one cause they are used to it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
imported post

It's a darn shame,but one day nobody will be wearing mechanical watches most likely,24 and under crowd doesn't wear one now,so in another50 yrs or so,all the watch lovers will be gone and poof!, no more intrest,but that's ok,i live in the here and now,and love to wear my watches

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
imported post

zaskar36 wrote:

Wearing a watch has been about fashion for decades now IMO. Albeit there is a difference between quality in the types of watches we Watchfreeks like to spend our money on and the average joe blow buys just for fashion alone.

However, let's face it...whether your a WIS or average Joe Blow more concerned with fashion, we all wear a watch for the same reason...fashion statement. That's where I think HP has made a crucial mistake in their assumption. They think tech will convince younger kids to start wearing watches again, because they have identified that "technology" (smart phones) as the main culprit to the watch's demise. Correct observation, but incorrect assumption IMO. I based that opinion on the fact that the kids I do see wearing watches are all wearing Gshocks, because to them, you are cool if you wear a genuine Gshock.

I look at those tech watches in the video and at least where the tech is now, that just seems like a gimmick to me, more novelty than anything. Tech Companies trying to find an application for their technology and a "new space" to compete in to make money.

The main problem with these tech watches and the companies shown in that video is brand image. My marketing gut is telling me the younger crowd M & F A14-25 will not be persuaded to buy and wear a high tech watch, regardless of features, unless it has an Apple icon/logo on it. Every tech company, besides Apple, doesn't have the "cool" brand image to sell a fashion accessory.

Do I and even younger kids want to strap a fashion accessory on our wrist that has an HP logo on it? Sorry, no thanks.

HP needs to get a reality check on their Brand Strategy, if they want to make a product like that. It's not just about making a new product...Brand is almost as important if not more important than the product within the fashion industry IMO. HP's brand has been stale and stuffy for decades now. Yet they want to come in and try to compete against long standing fashion brands? I don't think that's going to happen.

Now if HP is smart...someone in HPs biz dev dept calls up Omega and signs a joint venture product with Omega. Get product placement for that High Tech Omega watch within the next bond film and launch the product day and date with that bond film. Now that would be a winning product. Celebrities and every red blooded male internationally would kill to have that on their wrist.:c
+1

After watching the video, my thought is that HP are naive and foolish, not to mention fairly arrogant if they think they are gonna stroll into town and "re-boot" the watch market.

I also agree with zaskar... this may have a shred of credibility if it was a fashionable company with a cool image (ie apple)... but who the hell wants HP strapped to their wrist... might as well get 'NERD' tattooed across your forehead.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

zaskar36 wrote:

+2

I think the idea of using your phone for the time is part of the greater theme. Essentially, you want to reach the point that you have ONE instrument that serves all functions. Coming in with a watch that serves as a hub and notifies you to go look at anothertoyseems ridiculous to me. I'd rather let my phone or tablet do all these functions for me.

I essentially purchased my kindle for the same reason: to have all my books accessible quickly from a single source, and not have a lot of other paper hanging around the house. I replaced the kindle with my iPad, which has the kindle's function. I will replace the iPad when I find another instrument that adds more function that I need. In fact, I'd have replaced it with the iPhone, if the iPhone had a big screen too! They are both needed though, as they serve distinct functions, the iPhone works to do the iPad's work when I cant be lugging the iPad around.

Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
imported post

I don't think that younger are the only or largest demographic of people who don't want to wear a watch. It IS faster to just look at my wrist instead of pull my phone out of my pocket every time I want to check the time, so that would actually factor into why I want a watch. I do agree that the mentality is, "Why wear a watch if my smartphone provides that functionality, and more?" People seem to be more technology and entertainment-dependent than ever... I don't remember the last time I spent an evening with friends and everybody else spent a total time less than 2 minutes checking their phone, whether it was posting to Facebook or text messaging other people. Just a sign of the times, I guess. It's kind of scary how some people choose to waste their time, like waiting in line for hours and hours just to be the first one to get the newest iPhone __ and brag about it. I try to spend less time glued to technology, but it's hard when everybody else is glued to it.

Anyway, I largely like the watch as an accessory. To me, it's like wearing a bracelet or a necklace or a ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts