Watch Freeks banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was coming from a smart watch and before that hadn't worn a watch of any kind for 20 years, so almost any watch discussed on these forums would be considered "real" to me.
Well, on top of getting a real one, you own a very good real one. Nice watch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, on top of getting a real one, you own a very good real one. Nice watch.
Thanks, like the poster here, I spent time researching and asking knowledgable people like all of you before making a decision. I quickly followed a couple of weeks later also following advise on a "beater" by getting the Casio MDV106 and my next watch, I am sure, will also be "forum-advised". At least until I get some experience!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, like the poster here, I spent time researching and asking knowledgable people like all of you before making a decision. I quickly followed a couple of weeks later also following advise on a "beater" by getting the Casio MDV106 and my next watch, I am sure, will also be "forum-advised". At least until I get some experience!
I myself do not own a "beater". Any watch I own is to be worn through whatever the day has in store for me and not to be brought out every once in awhile. Then again, I don't own a Rolex either ;) Remember, only wrist is going to be wearing it, is yours...so always get one that YOU like.

BTW, I would be interested to read you experience with your S.W. I don't own one but have been curious and try to read as many view points and personal experiences as I can.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks like Hamilton wins the votes, and my 1st watch was a Hamilton Ventura which I feel is still one of the most beautiful watch designs! I still have it and will never part with it!!!:smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Alpnach and Airboss chronographs, but other than that, I'm leaning Hamilton. I just don't think the VSA models under these are up to the same build quality as a Hamilton.

That said, I had Hamilton divers recently in both 3-hand and chronograph versions and the quality was not there. Seemed cheap to me for the money. They were the ones where the case has holes you can see through. The bezels were terrible and they just seemed plasticky. The only disappointing Hamiltons I've owned.

I should disclose that the quartz VSA Divemaster diver rubbed me the wrong way. Seemed cheap for the price. I have not handled the mechanical version.

I would recommend with Hamilton that you look closely at pictures of the dial and hands. From my experiences, Hamilton watches that have plasticky looking dials and cheaper hands seem to not live up to the rest of the line. If you own enough of them, you'll see what I mean.

EDIT - Whoops! The INOX. That watch seems like a killer deal to me. Everything seems tough, down to the torquey second hand and lack of gear train slop when adjusting the time. Everything seemed tight and solid. Great watch.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts