Watch Freeks banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wifey comes up to me while I am pursuing the internet and looking at what my next watch is going to buy, and tells me Happy Veterans Day!

She then hands me a $100 bill and tells me to buy myself a watch that isn't too expensive and this is to help out, Yowza, did I marry well, or what?

I have been looking at some lower end stuff, mostly Seikos, which I am starting to have a fetish with.

It was a toss up between a SKX007, which is a must have for every collector (or so I hear) or this one, I chose this one, the Seiko "50 Fathoms" model,

I plan to immediately ditch the bracelet and put it on a brown leather strap. similar to the one in this photo,

The watch from the photos is outstanding looking and the bezel is supposed to be Hardlex coated, and that's a plus. It arrives tomorrow from Amazon.

Seiko 5 Sports Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch SNZH57J1

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Great choice, I had the blacked out version (SNZH59 I think?) that I had modded with a black bay style dial and red bezel insert. It is a great watch, and I love the size and shape of it. I'd love to pick up another one to mod one of these days.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok - I have to get one of those. It's like the Seamaster I want but can't afford. Nice buy. Wish my wife had been that awesome.

·
Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
That was insanely nice of her Chazman ! ..Holy cow !!! :first: :)

What a watch you chose too ! :eek: Just is awesome, and will be when it comes in. Congratulations here ahead of time !

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s here! Amazon came through on time and I received it about an hour ago.

1st Impressions,

Very nice size 42mm case, 12.5mm height, L2L 49mm.

The hardlex crystal is domed, which is really nice looking, and adds to the vibe.

Dial and bezel look outstanding, the bezel is either coated with, or made out of Hardlex, so I guess you could call it ceramic?? The only negative is the bezel is almost too easy to turn, but to me this isn’t a deal breaker since I’m never going to use it anyways. Don’t need to time my 4 seconds of being underwater in my backyard pool. The gold markers, hands and logo all look great, in fact the Seiko "5" marker actually looks classy, rather then looking out of place like it does on some other Seiko 5 watches.

Display case back is nice, showing a completely undecorated movement.

The bracelet is kind of cheesy with hollow end links, yet fit me perfectly right out of the box. Since the stainless steel bracelet doesn’t match to the gold bezel markers and hands and dial markers (a two tone bracelet would have been much better) I immediately took it off and replaced it with this Hirsch Duke waterproof strap.

So far if this watch can keep decent time, it’s a real winner, especially for $140.

One extra added bonus, the watch was completely made in Japan, it’s on the dial, and on the movement.

[/URL

Reactions: bapackerfan

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow nice watch! And yes you did marry well, she's a keeper, my wife gives me grief about my watches.

I am ok with but not a huge fan of that brown leather strap on a black watch. Here are a couple of options for your consideration. My two cents says consider a black mesh band and save that brown strap for a gold watch.

I've gone through a few phases, from just metal bands to just leather straps, and I am now on a nylon strap kick. My point is you can have 3 or 4 nylon bands of varying complimentary colors, they are a cheap and quick way to change the look of the watch depending on your mood.

Enjoy! and post more pics.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow nice watch! And yes you did marry well, she's a keeper, my wife gives me grief about my watches.

I am ok with but not a huge fan of that brown leather strap on a black watch. Here are a couple of options for your consideration. My two cents says consider a black mesh band and save that brown strap for a gold watch.

I've gone through a few phases, from just metal bands to just leather straps, and I am now on a nylon strap kick. My point is you can have 3 or 4 nylon bands of varying complimentary colors, they are a cheap and quick way to change the look of the watch depending on your mood.

Enjoy! and post more pics.

I already have a couple of Perlon straps on the way.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
The bezel is made of hardlex, and is a very nice touch that sets that model apart.

Looks great!

·
Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
Check that out ! Yowza, it's beautiful Chazman, and looks more like a $1400 watch honestly !!! :smile-thumb: The combination of the dial, and bezel is out of this world, and then the mix of finishes gives it a supercharging also. Has such a refined feel, with just the right amount of sport in it. What a super strap too ! Huge congrats to you Chazman. Holy cow ! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts