Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give a shout out today to all my fellow Vet Freeks. Have the best day you can have today.
On the watch front , I find myself in a funk, just not seeing anything that really attracts me right now. And Christmas is coming up soon, maybe Santa will bring something?
But don't worry, I am still lurking .
Cheers all

Derek , RAF rtd , Per Ardua ad Astra.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Nikon:
Keep in mind the scarifices by the soldiers of the 3rd of the 8th ID in Nam.
Nov 7. 1967. Ordered by Division the capture of Hill 724 in Dak To Valley.
50 members KIA 74 Wounderd in the 3rd Regt of the 8th Infantry Division.
Majority of casualties sustained by A and D companies.

Then, less than a year later, the 1968 Tet Offensive. NVAs organized attempt
to wipe out all command and control centers in the Nam. Too many GIs and
Marines killed in 68. Bloodiest year of the war.

I was in the 18th Regt of the 1st ID.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Rockmastermike:
When has Freedom ever been FREE?
At Valley Forge fighting to rid themselves of King George III?
The American soldier (or Marine) isn't fighting for Mom's apple
pie. Or to wear Rolex or Seiko. They're fighting for EACH OTHER!

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
153 Posts
Rockmastermike:
When has Freedom ever been FREE?
At Valley Forge fighting to rid themselves of King George III?
The American soldier (or Marine) isn't fighting for Mom's apple
pie. Or to wear Rolex or Seiko. They're fighting for EACH OTHER!

Lou Snutt
Thanks, Lou
My dad was D Troop, 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry, 4th Infantry Division, in Vietnam (The Shamrocks)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lou, I keep everyone in mind and everyday not just one day a year. My work with Service Animals is my constant reminder. After my stint in the R.A.F as a combat phot, I was a combat photojournalist for 20 years and on this day I also remember my colleagues that went into battle armed with only their Nikons (ok some Canons too). We have lost too many, 1150 since 1992.
Ok, going to open my single malt and get working on it today. It's what I do every 11th Nov!
Cheers All
Derek

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Sergeant USMC 1964-1968 Combat Tour in the Nam 65-66. Was a tunnel rat (combat engineer) who used to crawl down the V.C. tunnels and blow them up. Had both my ear drums blown out on the last operation I was on, the time fuse on the satchel charge I set in that tunnel burned a little too fast and went off before I was completely out of the entrance. My buddies said I looked like the man "shot from a cannon".

I didn't get too warm a welcome home from my peers (bags of **** thrown at us when we got off the ship, called "Baby Killer" out in public), but the WW1, WW2, and Korean Vets treated me fine, couldn't buy a drink if I went into a neighborhood bar in uniform.

The country as a whole has paid me back for my service, I got a Master's Degree in Criminology on the G.I. bill, and a monthly stipend to boot.

Now I am receiving 100% disability from the VA for Agent Orange related maladies. This along with my Chicago Police pension is how I can afford this "watch" hobby.

The treatment at the VA isn't as bad as some claim, the only real problem with it is getting a damn appointment, you may have to wait months.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chazman, my Glenmorangie says cheers to you mate!
I remember seeing on our old black and white tv you guys arriving home and the reception you received. It was so sad to see. I am glad that things have changed somewhat with the passage of time and you are now treated with the respect you deserve. Hope you can stay on top with your health issues. ( I had a friend, served as a K9 handler in Nam , was a cop in The Bay Area and sadly passed from "war related health issues" a few years ago. We spent many happy hours telling tall stories, so I have some idea of what that "action" was like.
Time for a refill mate?
Cheers
D.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Chazman, my Glenmorangie says cheers to you mate!
I remember seeing on our old black and white tv you guys arriving home and the reception you received. It was so sad to see. I am glad that things have changed somewhat with the passage of time and you are now treated with the respect you deserve. Hope you can stay on top with your health issues. ( I had a friend, served as a K9 handler in Nam , was a cop in The Bay Area and sadly passed from "war related health issues" a few years ago. We spent many happy hours telling tall stories, so I have some idea of what that "action" was like.
Time for a refill mate?
Cheers
D.
Don't care much for single malt scotch, I prefer something smoother like Famous Grouse.

All of my Agent Orange maladies are under control (so far) type 2 diabetes, Ischemic heart disease, neuropathy, hypertension, and tinnitus from the ear drums being blown out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Famous Grouse...oh dear. It used to be a lovely blend then the small distillery got sold to one of the big guys and the smooth nectar was lost!
So, we really need a get together to find the smooth single malt that suits your pallet.
Ok, I'm getting slightly inebriated now. What time is it...anyone have a watch! Lol
Ok off to the Zon!
Cheers all?
D.
PS.. We have all the same ailments, except my ears are intact. Plus, how's your PTSD doing?

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
PS.. We have all the same ailments, except my ears are intact. Plus, how's your PTSD doing?
No problems with PTSD, no flash backs or grim thoughts, perhaps it is my dark sense of humor that has prevented that. I sure know it helped out while working homicide for 23 years of my 31 year Police career.

That, and copious amounts of Jack Daniels. :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Andrema, another one down the hatch to your health.
D.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Our Veterans Day is the last Saturday in June. I've done my part in serving in Lebanon 1979-1980 as part of UNIFIL. But I tip my hat to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Often on foreign soil, just fighting for that one goal. Deep, deep respect!

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts
Veterans Day needs to be every day honestly. One day isn't enough, and month wouldn't be enough either. ..Should be every day, all year long really. ..Can never thank all of you guys enough, but still want to try, and thank everyone here and out there, and of course my grandfather, father, and cousins for everything they have done, and continue to do. Thank you !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts