Watch Freeks banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Now, is that actually orange? Or a light red?
In this pic it does appear questionable but as I remember it was a vivid Orange.

Do you remember this one:

Super Moderator
Now, is that actually orange? Or a light red?
In this pic it does appear questionable but as I remember it was a vivid Orange.

Do you remember this one:
It does look a little more on the orange side, I have to agree. 馃槈
The colors they had years ago were pretty fantastic when
you think about it. And actually it鈥檚 fun seeing even today,
how different colors become popular with people.

It seems like black, and silver are always popular. But there
are some cool orange colors out there nowadays. Not to
mention some wild reds, greens, blues, and even cool grays,
which I鈥檓 sure you have seen a lot. 馃槈馃槑

Oh, and yes, I remember that Batmobile. :cool:馃 The fire that
used to come out the back always mesmerized me. o_O And
kind of scared me when I was as a kid. 馃槉

Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In the mid 70s I was stationed in Germany: initially in Pirmasens (small, country type environment) where I owned a late 60 Olds convertible; the local girls loved it. Then I was reassigned to Frankfort where it was just too big. Solution: an orange (2 seater) 71 MGB convertible. It was great fun and being so low to the ground it handled well; although compared to the Bimmers and Mercedes it was slow. I believe it topped out at 105 mph. Again this is not mine, just an example.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Super Moderator
Amazing Wrascal ! o_O(y)(y)

You know what鈥檚 funny? Is most of us post pictures of
cars we have never had, or maybe wish we had. ..But
you post pictures of cars in which you actually have had,
AND they are incredible ! :)

And the stories surrounding them are great too, so thanks
a ton for sharing !!!

Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
You like actually owned vehicles? these are accurate and were all once mine (a real yard pic from maybe 5 -6 years ago):

In the foreground is my mower /woods worker, a 2007 John Deere garden tractor. I'm still using it - it's still considered young - with around 460 hours.
Behind that is my former 2014 Ford F250 6.7L diesel, long gone (replaced with a 2018 F350 diesel dually). Attached to the F250 is a 17 foot utility tractor - still in use.
In the rear is a now long gone fifth wheel, a 2008 Jayco (replaced with a 2018 Bighorn Fifth wheel, which was replaced with a Tiffin motorhome (July 2020).

As I recall these were all parked like this so I could mow the upper grassy area.
So lets see some pics of your actual (or desired) vehicles.

Tire Wheel Riding mower Vehicle Plant

Super Moderator
Yowza, you have driven everything it looks like Wrascal ! o_O
The John Deere alone has to be terrific to drive. :cool::)
Wow, that must make things easier, not to mention a lot
more fun huh?!

I鈥檝e never had a motor home, or truck either, but can just
imagine all of the great the memories you鈥檝e made with the
both of those. (y)(y)..And who knows?! I may have to actually
get one now, since Ford hardly makes any cars now, except for
the Mustang. ..The Maverick looks pretty nice to me. ..Oh, and
by the way, what an incredible area you live in ! :D

I bet you could go off on to the furthest reaches of your property,
and suddenly be on vacation. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the cars I have had.
But I found a few online that look like a couple we have had in
recent years. 馃槉We unfortunately no longer have the Mercury
Marauder. However, do have the Fusion. But I don't know what
will replace it in the future.

Discussion Starter · #27 ·
"Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the cars I have had."
Me either, and that's why most of my pics are stolen from the net.

My daily driver is a 2019 Honda Passport (this one is actually mine) and my assistant driver:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Dog Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Some past (and present) road toys:
Started out in a tent but it eventually got old so we slowly made the following progressions:
1. a 24' HiLo, the top section lowered down over the bottom section - made for easy towing (much less wind resistance). Too small/ tight for large dogs and grandkids
2. a 32' Jayco fifth wheel. Grandkids are filthy buggers (don't cha just love em), stained all the cloth surfaces. Got too old, too many miles so traded it in for ...
3. a 42' Heartland Bighorn (16K pounds required a bigger truck). 9mpg. Turns out a bigger truck and a bigger RV was just too much so another trade (truck and RV)
4. a 40' Tiffin Phaeton diesel pusher (6 mpg with a toad CRV). Wanted something smaller but settled on this.
Wheel Plant community Motor vehicle Tire Fixture
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Cloud
Tire Cloud Car Wheel Sky
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

Super Moderator
Impressive Wrascal, most impressive ! :D

You've had an honest to goodness fleet of vehicles over the years
it looks like. 馃殫馃殰馃殭馃殞Just seeing all of the types is outstanding !
By the way, how is driving the trucks when they have the campers
behind them? And how about the mobile home? 馃槷It's as big, or
bigger than a bus it looks like.

Unbelievably cool !!!

Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
and yet there are still many undiscovered vehicles - which I may eventually recall to mind.

Many many imports served this family of 4 drivers thru the 80s and early 90s (mostly Honda Accords, Civics, Odysseys, CRVs - all to my fathers dismay). Ohhh, I just remembered an 87? Nissan Station wagon, I loved it. Ohhh once again, another 87? hard body Nissan pickup. These Nissans were both stick shifts - my preferred. Unfortunately any pics of these two would have to be stolen from the net. Then throw in a Toyota at one point.

At one time I had a white 08 Ford E350 15 seat pax van: used for road trips (with several large dogs) and to pull the above HiLo / all four rear seats were removed. It's biggest contribution was my youngest used it to carry her (and the entire wedding party) to her big event. It was a major job to reinstall all those bench seats.

No pics survive so once again it's off to the net to pilfer one:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive side-view mirror

Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
"By the way, how is driving the trucks when they have the campers
behind them? And how about the mobile home?"

The first three camper / tow vehicles were fairly managable - but the last one was just too much.

One time, while traveling thru northern Georgia, I found it's overall length required me to occupy some of the on-coming roadway (it was a very twisty mountain road). Complicating it was there were high-speed Kamikaze motorcyclists coming down the mountain while I was trying to climb it. A very tough/ white knuckle drive, 12 miles?

Remarkably the motorhome is simpler to maneuver - as the toad vehicle tracks well within the bus tracks. It's biggest drawback (because of its design limitations) is you can NOT reverse when hitched with all 4 tires down (severe damage results) . That's a problem when refueling in some small mom and pop type stations.

Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of other trucks that once pulled my HiLo:
1. a 2014 Honda Ridgeline (load wise it was nearly maxed out). Unloaded it was probably my best truck (comfort, safety, convenience).
2. and a 2002 V10 F250; a piece of cake towing with this nearly 200K mile brute machine. I eventually traded it because there wasn't room enough for my dogs.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Oh - I feel guilty, I've forgotten my longest serving truck ... a 98 V6 F150 stick shift (my last manual); when it came out I just HAD to have it - so goodbye Nissan pickup. I drove it until I could (maybe) hear the manifold bolts starting to leak: year 2014, approaching nearly 200K miles. All it cost me was several sets of tires, a set of plugs, several sets of wiper blades, oil and filters AND a late in life alternator rebuild.

Early in its' life I often I traveled nightly thru a secluded 17 mile stretch - visited by full grown wild pigs - and later on some heavy fog areas (while living on Mobile Bay). These aftermarket PIAA (dual) fog and driving lights were incredible for both situations.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle Wheel

Long Time Member
Oh - I feel guilty, I've forgotten my longest serving truck ... a 98 F150 stick shift (my last manual); when it came out I just HAD to have it - so goodbye Nissan pickup. I drove it until I could hear the manifold gaskets starting to leak: year 2014, approaching nearly 200K miles. All it cost me was several sets of tires, several sets of wiper blades, oil and filters AND a late in life alternator rebuild.

Initially I traveled thru some very dark areas - visited by full grown wild pigs - and later on some heavy fog areas (while living on the Mobile Bay). These aftermarket PIAA fog lights were incredible for both situations.
View attachment 139815
I had a 1993 F150 with the 4.9L in-line 6 for 22 years and 125,000 miles. I had to replace the Mazda manual transmission at about 250k, but other than that a timing gear set at 300k and alternator about the same time. Didn鈥檛 burn a drop of oil. Sold it to a young Hispanic contractor in Lexington who I trusted would take care of it and I鈥檓 sure it鈥檚 still working hard today.

I bought it in 1998 with 198,000 miles on it for $2,000. Sold it in 2020 with 325,000 miles for $1,500.

If you can find that generation with the fuel injected 4.9L engine, you cannot find a better work truck. I pulled boats that required I hold the gas pedal to the floor for 5 hours straight. Didn鈥檛 even burn a drop of oil and would work like that day after day after day for decades and never let me down. Best engine by far that I have ever owned.

Super Moderator
You know what's so interesting guys?!! Is in a lot of ways our vehicles
become like these mechanical family members when you think about
it. 馃槉馃槈They are quite a bit like watches in that they are often like
these great time capsules. Bringing back memories of family, as well
as friends, and just the times in which we had them. Seriously, you
an think of any ONE of the cars, trucks, campers etc. you guys have
owned, and they are bound to transport you right back to that time. 馃檪

And some times it doesn't even matter if the car was good, or bad.
Because in actuality that certain time, along with the memories
surrounding the time, or those vehicles would make even the worst
vehicle seem like it was the best. (y)(y)

By the way, have to add Wrascal, and RT, it's funny how I have really
always liked trucks, but never had one yet. 馃槉But the looks alone have
always been so impressie to me, as well as what you can do with them.
I mean from being able to bring a refrigerator, washer, dryer, or tv home
in one. To hauling anything you want, they really are one of the coolest
vehicles on the planet. And although being able to drive all of the different
shapes, and sizes like you guys sounds a little intimidating. There's no
doubt that they are incredibly cool !

Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I guess there's not a lot of interest in vehicles either. Here's my former 08 Hyundai Santa Fe (stolen and wrecked).
First pic: I never learned how this happened but it appears that someones (unbuckled) head hit the windshield.
Second pic: I heard at some earlier point he also took out a mailbox.

Car Sky Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Super Moderator
Oh man, it was stolen Wrascal? ..That is crazy. 馃槻

I'm so sorry that this even happened to you. 馃槥I can only imagine
when it happened. ..All of the sudden, the vehicle you were used
to seeing every day in your driveway was gone. But at least you
have the memories.

Honestly, it's just fortunate that you weren't around when it happened,
or weren't in the car when it took place.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts