Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Thursday afternoon Freeks!

I picked up a new Vostok Kmandirskie at my local USPS office at lunch time.

UPDATE w/ more photos:

Purchased from ebay for a little over $60 USD.

Nice size and weight. The bezel is bidirectional and without any clicking. So rather free flowing per se. Is there a term for that? I got nothin'! The nato feels of decent quality, and the hardware is a blasted steel. No complaints there.

The crown, when unscrewed, is quite loose. Does not feel sturdy at all. I could not for the life of me find a position to set the date alone, so it was a lot of twisting to get it to the right date. Really, the crown didn't even click out into place. I don't know if that is a flaw in my particular movement, or just how this movement works. The movement is an automatic Vostok 2431B, sometimes listed as 2431.01, with 32 ruby jewels. I could not find a manual online and one was not provided in the box.

It is pretty much as expected. I didn't expect great things at this price point. I know Vostok has a reputation of decent quality and ruggedness at this price with the Amphibia series that has been talked about a lot here.

I'm a big fan of 24-hour purist watches, and this fits the bill. I'm excited to see how it holds up over the coming weeks. I'm really curious to see how accurate the movement is. Maybe it will make the "best" list? Ha ha, jokes!

I have a modification of the bezel in process. I have a coin edge bezel already delivered, but I'm awaiting the insert. I'll post additional pictures as it all comes together.

Cheers!

·
Long Time Member
3,094 Posts
Great pickup Funk.

I have a couple of Vostok watches and the loose stem is totally normal.

Advancing the date is by moving the time forward past midnight by a few hours then reversing back to 11pm or so then moving forward again. On mine it's hit or miss how far
past midnight and then back to an hour or 2 before midnight.

Hope this makes sense.

I look forward to your bezel mod.

Cheers.

Brian

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great pickup Funk.

I have a couple of Vostok watches and the loose stem is totally normal.

Advancing the date is by moving the time forward past midnight by a few hours then reversing back to 11pm or so then moving forward again. On mine it's hit or miss how far
past midnight and then back to an hour or 2 before midnight.

Hope this makes sense.

I look forward to your bezel mod.

Cheers.

Brian

Thanks, Brian.

I had figured out the date thing after a number of roll overs. It was at 1, so you can imagine how long it took to get to 24! I think I got to 8 or 9 before I tried what you just said. I must have read that somewhere else because it seemed to make sense in my head when I tried it...

I know you have a couple Vostok and have been happy with them. I'm eager to see how this holds up!

Jeff

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Mod Process:

The new bezel and insert:

Old bezel removed and the new ready to go on:

And, as also shown above, the complete package:

Lume shot:

Pretty easy mod. I had some trouble with the spring being a little bent on the old bezel. Some working and I got it to seat properly. Only used a watch case back opening tool. Really simple.

The movement has been keeping accurate time. It has been 12-15+ per day. I really like it. Value for the money is there. Probably not quite as nice as some of the cheaper Seiko autos, but those don't come with purist 24-hour dials and movements!

·
Long Time Member
3,094 Posts
I think it looks great with the new bezel.
Good choice on the insert.

Now you have a unique watch that punches well above the money you have
invested in it and it's not something that you're likely to see on someone else's wrist.

Good job Funk.

:smile-thumb2:

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it looks great with the new bezel.
Good choice on the insert.

Now you have a unique watch that punches well above the money you have
invested in it and it's not something that you're likely to see on someone else's wrist.

Good job Funk.

:smile-thumb2:
Thanks Zed! :party0010:

I thought it was iffy at first, but when I saw it next to my other watches in the watch box later I have to say it looked pretty good for a sub $100 project! I'd be lying if I said that part of the appeal of the mod was to have something more uniquely my own! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.