Watch Freeks banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Somehow I managed to lose a bracelet screw on the Oris and so I went by the AD last week. The owner was really a cool guy and puffed me up saying I knew more about horology than him:lol. I told him I love the Ulysse Nardin designs, especially the Monaco, but that I wasn't a real prospect. He proceeded to ask me how many watches I had in my collection and when I answered, of course he used that against me:%.

Anyway, He let me fondle a couple of really, REALLY nice watches, including a few Ulysse Nardins and a Blancpain. He showed me his personal watch, serial number 000 on one of the Maxi Diver limited editions (I think). It was really an exceptional experience. The guy was really, REALLY good at explaining the brand and it's exclusivity. If that were my greatest concern, I would be in very big trouble. I LOVE the Black Sea special edition (which is one of the one's I was allowed to handle, although it was already paid for (presumably some rich person from Monterrey NL).

He carries Glaschutte Original, Cuervo Y Sobrinos, Ebel and of course, Oris. Sorry TV, for that guy, Oris is an "entry-level" watch... (which is fine by me). If I ever own another of the aformentioned brands, it will be second hand or a closeout. I'm not a "full-retail" guy.

I've been extremely busy the last couple of weeks, but I've been looking forward to posting about this experience to my fellow FREEKS.

Thanks for reading it.

David

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
Somehow I managed to lose a bracelet screw on the Oris and so I went by the AD last week. The owner was really a cool guy and puffed me up saying I knew more about horology than him:lol. I told him I love the Ulysse Nardin designs, especially the Monaco, but that I wasn't a real prospect. He proceeded to ask me how many watches I had in my collection and when I answered, of course he used that against me:%.

Anyway, He let me fondle a couple of really, REALLY nice watches, including a few Ulysse Nardins and a Blancpain. He showed me his personal watch, serial number 000 on one of the Maxi Diver limited editions (I think). It was really an exceptional experience. The guy was really, REALLY good at explaining the brand and it's exclusivity. If that were my greatest concern, I would be in very big trouble. I LOVE the Black Sea special edition (which is one of the one's I was allowed to handle, although it was already paid for (presumably some rich person from Monterrey NL).

He carries Glaschutte Original, Cuervo Y Sobrinos, Ebel and of course, Oris. Sorry TV, for that guy, Oris is an "entry-level" watch... (which is fine by me). If I ever own another of the aformentioned brands, it will be second hand or a closeout. I'm not a "full-retail" guy.

I've been extremely busy the last couple of weeks, but I've been looking forward to posting about this experience to my fellow FREEKS.

Thanks for reading it.

David
Hey David - great to hear from you. I was wondering what happened to you and it is good to hear you are well.

I agree that Oris might be an entry level luxury brand, BUT THAT IS ALRIGHT with me, lol. I know my limitations. lol

On to the Black Sea special edition. which one did you see. Was it this one?

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I've got a un maxi-marine on bracelet.pretty nice watch but the parts are expensive.I needed 2 links with screws.375.00.

I don't think oris is entry level,Some of there models are, but when getting into the dedicated dive watches I think they compete with the big boys.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

That's the one, TV! It's even more awesome in person.

I'm quite well, thanks for asking. I feel bad about not showing up much, but one has to work harder these days in my line of work...

The AD agreed with me that Oris gives you about as much "bang-for-the-buck" as ANY luxury brand. So "entry-level" is certainly relative. Compared to the solid-gold Monaco, it would be, but for mere mortals, a 1000M modified ETA ebauche (2836) is not too shabby.

I love the dial work Ulysse Nardin does, especially on the Black Sea and the Principality of Monaco watch. It's modern, but very, very cool with the heavy relief of the huge waves. I just love it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

dedward wrote:
I've got a un maxi-marine on bracelet.pretty nice watch but the parts are expensive.I needed 2 links with screws.375.00.

I don't think oris is entry level,Some of there models are, but when getting into the dedicated dive watches I think they compete with the big boys.
I know you like Invictas, Sean... Anytime you want to explore a multi-watch trade for EITHER the SINN or the un maxi-marine, I'm all over it, LOL. What a spectacular collection you have, my friend!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:

I'm quite well, thanks for asking. I feel bad about not showing up much, but one has to work harder these days in my line of work...

The AD agreed with me that Oris gives you about as much "bang-for-the-buck" as ANY luxury brand. So "entry-level" is certainly relative. Compared to the solid-gold Monaco, it would be, but for mere mortals, a 1000M modified ETA ebauche (2836) is not too shabby.

I love the dial work Ulysse Nardin does, especially on the Black Sea and the Principality of Monaco watch. It's modern, but very, very cool with the heavy relief of the huge waves. I just love it.
What in the world does that one cost. What was the sticker at the store you were at?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
argabright wrote:

What in the world does that one cost. What was the sticker at the store you were at?
No discounts on the Limited Editions, full retail all the way. If memory serves, that one isn't one of the obscenely-expensive ones,+/- $8.5 K

If you can afford a Navitimer, you can swing a Black Sea, unless I'm totally mistaken. We didn't really discuss retail prices, just which ones he would and wouldn't discount. I think the Black Sea is in the November iWatch or WatchTime.

This ADactually sold one of my Monacos... Onlyreceived one and sold it to a gentleman from N. Mexico. Most of his clients are local Dr.s, etc. though.

That one was closer to $30K

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Oops... We better stop yapping about winning stuff. I STILL haven't posted pictures of the Sector watch wallet I won from Dedward. I promised i would. Sorry, Sean.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

I PM'ed Rick about the (4) Ferrari by Panerai trade-ins that they have. I'm guessing he took them in on something pretty expensive, a limited edition or what not. Some VERY wealthy guys have learned about his shop. He's right down the street from the shop that sells Zenith, Cartier

I have no idea what he's asking for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.