Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We wind back the tape to 1966. My father, an electrician of little means, bought our first television set from our neighbour. An elderly lady who just returned from living in Curaçao for over 25 years. Her husband was a manager with Royal Dutch Shell but he sadly died a year after returning to The Netherlands. The TV set was a Philips, black-and white of course. And, because of the somewhat strange configuration, only able to receive one channel! Nederland 1. The other Dutch public channel was broadcasted on a frequency the TV set could not dial-in to. The programmes consisted of awkwardly produced plays woodenly delivered by theatre actors, not used to the way it should be done in a live TV broadcast and tons of foreign material, mostly US based. Rin Tin Tin, Batman, The High Chaparral, etc., etc. In the beginning of Dutch television, some programmes we broadcasted live and not recorded before transmission.

We were allowed to watch television on Wednesday afternoons (no school) and in the evenings until 7 PM. One channel only. And now? Now we have a choice between 100+ channels, including HBO in HD, 5 movie channels, also in HD and almost all European public broadcast channels, many of them in HD. But is it better than that one black and white channel? According to my TV watching habits, the answer is a resounding no. I watch documentaries and record films on our PVR. We watch the news and shows like The Big Bang Theory. That's about it. I mostly listen to music in the evening and hang around on Watch Freeks. The only noteworthy advantages we have now is the ability to pause live TV and to wind back to the beginning of a programme when you start watching it too late even if you didn't record it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
In SA, television was only introduced in 1976.

Today it's the same as in most countries with the advent of DSTV and 150+ channels available but strangely hardly anything worthwhile watching!

Is it because we're spoilt for choice or is the viewing content really not that good and often not worthwhile watching?

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In SA, television was only introduced in 1976.

Today it's the same as in most countries with the advent of DSTV and 150+ channels available but strangely hardly anything worthwhile watching!

Is it because we're spoilt for choice or is the viewing content really not that good and often not worthwhile watching?
Both :D I find it a waste of time lately.....

·
4,210 Posts
TV:
I'm an old duffer and cn remember when tv arrived in my city.
It was 1949. Only 3 tv shows a day at first. In black n white.
As you intimated, look at tv now. 24/7 entertainment. Even
has watch shows hawkin every brand of watch.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

X traindriver Art

·
Long Time Member
3,086 Posts
Hey GoodWatch, my viewing habits seem to be much like yours. Just a few things interest me. The rest is rubbish IMO. Great time waster. We only purchased cable TV 5 years ago. People thought us strange. I would much rather be doing something constructive & achieving a task than killing time in front of a TV. About all I watch these days are car restoration shows, documentary's & a bit of sports, mainly hockey. My wife is a sports writer so she needs to keep up so she watches important sports events. Interestingly, cable subscriptions are on the decline big time. I assume changing technology is the culprit. I myself would not want to view a show on my smart phone, although many do.
Did watch the Kentucky Derby on the weekend. Just the race, not the 2 hour "pre-game" (ugh!)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Since I can remember we have always had a TV, I was born in 59 so TV was out for a while, I do remember we got a Color TV as soon as they were available. The big problem was signal I can't tell you how many times my Dad or Mom got up and adjusted the TV antenna! LOL At times there was tin foil on it etc anything to get a good signal. We were not allowed to put a TV antenna on the roof. At first there were 4 channels 2 PBS 4,5 and 7 later there was UHF we had 38,44 and 56. Now I don't even know how many channels are available and I do not pay extra for all the bells and whistles on Cable. I still pay a lot though. I did get one of those digital antennas for my TV in my bedroom and get a dozen or so channels that are broadcast free over the air. I have to say they come thru crisp and clear just as good as Cable. These days I don't watch much TV like I used to not much interests me. Don't watch any sports!!! No reality TV except for a couple of shows that are considered reality but are more like on going series like Curse of Oak Island etc. I have a few sitcoms I like and my main show The Family Guy. Can't get enough of that show.

·
Senior Freek
2,505 Posts
I grew up using an antenna to catch some local stuff when I was young, then had Cable through much of the my childhood and adolescent years. Maintained cable through college and noticed I wanted it fairly infrequently. I then moved to Samoa in 2007 for two years and had a TV with an Antenna where I got 3 channels. One in Samoan and since I wasn't fluent, I didn't want it. One was a Australian channel that I watched cheesy soaps and news on rare occasion, and the third played DVD movies all day, sometimes suck for hours on the menu screen (no ****).

I haven't paid for cable since returning in 2009, and only in the last year have I purchased a digital wall antenna to capture local stations. Still hardly watch TV.

I have internet to read news, watch occasional Netflix or Amazon Prime movies and TV with the kids or the S.O.

For me, Cable just isn't worth the cost.

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To put a price tag on it all, our triple play subscription (110 channel cable with a PVR, an extra box which can access the PVR and a separate set-top box, HBO and 5 movie channels, 200 Mbit Internet and flat-fee telelephony Europe) is 103 Euro per month. But if you dial down everything you can cut that in half.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Hey GoodWatch, my viewing habits seem to be much like yours. Just a few things interest me. The rest is rubbish IMO. Great time waster. We only purchased cable TV 5 years ago. People thought us strange. I would much rather be doing something constructive & achieving a task than killing time in front of a TV. About all I watch these days are car restoration shows, documentary's & a bit of sports, mainly hockey. My wife is a sports writer so she needs to keep up so she watches important sports events. Interestingly, cable subscriptions are on the decline big time. I assume changing technology is the culprit. I myself would not want to view a show on my smart phone, although many do.
Did watch the Kentucky Derby on the weekend. Just the race, not the 2 hour "pre-game" (ugh!)
Go Pharoah! - what an athlete

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
GREAT topic! Thanks for bringing it up!

It makes me reminisce about growing up in the '70s. Luckily, our house was situated out in the country roughly equidistant from the two closest "cities" that had network TV stations--one had 3, the other had 2 and a Wisconsin Public Television channel. With a power booster on our rooftop antennae, we could pull in 6 channels.

And you know, in all those years growing up, I never remember feeling like there wasn't anything good on ... okay, maybe in the middle of the day when I was home sick from school, and all you could find were game shows and soap operas. Ugh!

But it's so true, these days the number of channels out there has gone up exponentially while the quality of programming has moved in the other direction.

2 years ago, our family gave up on cable, and we just watch Netflix along with an occasional DVD. We find a show that we like, and we watch an episode every evening over supper until we've seen them all. We've gone through all of the Star Trek series, the original Kung Fu TV series, Gilligan's Island, I forget which others ... and more recently, two of our all-time favorites, Psych and Chuck.

It's so convenient to watch them when it fits into our schedule. There aren't any annoying commercials, and we're watching good stuff as a family.

Maybe because in the old days there were so few choices, the networks worked harder to deliver good stuff to keep families glued to the screen and to see the advertisers' commercials. I have no idea how advertisers even decide where to turn these days.

Again, great topic!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.