Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a traditional watch with a brown leather band and automatic movement. Seems simple enough until a casual search returned a lifetime worth of pages to browse. So I adjusted my search with lowest to highest price and saw this Tuskegee Skymaster.

The price was in my impulse buy range so I ordered and got it a week ago. Until I got it, I couldn't tell that the dial had two levels with the minute markers higher than the hour markers. I thought this was a nice subtle touch. Even at 46mm, it is the lightest of my watches at 91 grams as compared to my 37mm bracelet Seiko 5 at 112grams. The movement is hackable and windable - it is very tactile and reasonably quiet, with quick set day and date.

It came in a nice package with case, cleaning cloth, 2 year warranty, instructions. Website at http://www.stuhrling.com/Mens/Aviator/129B2.3315K43.html

So far it keeps reasonably good time and very easy to wear. It is a very nice casual wear watch, high contrast display, large enough day and date that I can read without the need for magnification.

I intend to wear this in the office and likely only when I wear earth tones so I will likely not have to exercise the warranty.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Nice watch for the money. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Very nice!! Congrats

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the positive encouragement as it has been awhile since I even wore a wristwatch.

Now that I think about it, it is really something else for a person and the right watch to meet.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Nice catch. I have the same model (although I swapped out the strap), and I really enjoy wearing it. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the continued positive reception.

I would like to add that although their website states some lume on the hands they are insignificant in purpose - really a day watch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own the Tuskeege auto with the lume dial and I am extremely pleased with it. I put a deployment clasp on it in place of the tang buckle. Definitely a keeper, nice score

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
IMO it's one of the nicest pilot watches out there. I think you chose very well. I have a couple S.O. Pilots and they are stand up watches. The S.O. Tuskegee line is one of their best. I have recommended them to several of my friends and they are all pleased with the watches they got.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I own the Tuskeege auto with the lume dial and I am extremely pleased with it. I put a deployment clasp on it in place of the tang buckle. Definitely a keeper, nice score
Thanks for posting that as I like that deployment clasp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Mike and John as the watch is really a good looking watch.

John and Bsw, Thanks for the reassurance on the Stührling line as that will be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have this Stührling Original Tuskegee flier. This is the large version that I can't find any info on (50+mm with 26mm lugs). It's an okay watch, but I haven't wore it much. I didn't like the strap on it, and looking to replace it with something Perlon or a NATO strap. It seems pretty nice, but would like to mod it, as it was part of a large purchase, and I literally fit this watch for approximately $5.00.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have one exactly like yours LesDMess and have enjoyed it since day one when I first saw it advertised on Shop some time ago. Hope you enjoy yours as much. :)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Fellow Freeks
I loves me some cream colored dials.
Have an Orient Mako XL with cream colored dial.
Never bought Sthurling before
Does it use Seagull movement?

Lou Snutt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts