Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchase isn't for at least 3 to 5 years from now.
It's a fair bit of money (for me)
Deciding between

and

Priced about the same.
Seiko has better finishing.
Seiko is more accurate. (duh)
Seiko has non-integrated straps

Tudor has an interesting movement
Tudor does not need batteries
Tudor looks more interesting

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Sounds like you're sold on the Seiko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
There may actually be a chance your taste and or preferences may change in 3-5 years time. It's good to have a model or models in mind as a goal but you may find yourself looking at what is available at your specific time to buy. Honestly, there may be a whole truck load of beautifully finished, interesting looking watches available when you are financially ready to pull the trigger. I wish you the very best in your pursuit of your Grail. My recommendation is to keep an open mind and judge each piece on its merits as you come across it. It still may come down to a battle between these two, great ! Buy what makes you happy and gives you that special feeling in the pit of your stomach every time you look at it on your wrist. That's when it becomes more than finding out what time it is !

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
my 2 cents ... I prefer autos best, but I have 15 or so quartz. Regardless, I do like the Tudor slightly over the Seiko. Maybe bc I have 4 Seikos & no Tudors.

Chronomaster has offered sound advice IMO. Save your $ & you'll have one strapped to you in short order.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I prefer the looks of the Tudor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
Purchase isn't for at least 3 to 5 years from now.
It's a fair bit of money (for me)
Geez man… I'm not sure what I'm making for supper and your planning a watch purchase for 5 years from now.

Tudor gets my vote even though I'm not sold on the yellow. For me it's a bit more modern of a design and a mechanical. For that kind of money I'd struggle to buy a quartz, even if it is an exceptional one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my 2 cents ... I prefer autos best, but I have 15 or so quartz. Regardless, I do like the Tudor slightly over the Seiko. Maybe bc I have 4 Seikos & no Tudors.

Chronomaster has offered sound advice IMO. Save you $ & you'll have one strapped to you in short order.
The game is two watches enter. In reality the following watches are also being considered : Rolex Explorer I, Tudor BlackBay36, Sinn 856 non-UTC, Tudor Pelagos, Rolex Milgauss, and a used Seiko Astron 50th anniversary

·
Registered
677 Posts
The game is two watches enter. In reality the following watches are also being considered : Rolex Explorer I, Tudor BlackBay36, Sinn 856 non-UTC, Tudor Pelagos, Rolex Milgauss, and a used Seiko Astron 50th anniversary
So, in reality this thread is just meaningless prattle.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
One is a semi-dress watch, the other a tool watch, two different critters.

I would like the Tudor, if it didn't have all that yellow junk on the dial.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you plan on buying in 3-5 years your taste may change. I know mine has since I first joined. Never thought I would buy a Seiko dress watch and a kinetic at that.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I would definitely buy the Seiko if it had the "snowflake" dial. But, as pictured. I'll take the Tudor. Its good to have goals. But in 3 to 5 years, my bet is you'll be chasing something else. Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I would definitely buy the Seiko if it had the "snowflake" dial. But, as pictured. I'll take the Tudor. Its good to have goals. But in 3 to 5 years, my bet is you'll be chasing something else. Good luck.

I'm chasing a general cluster of watches which meet a certain criteria.

Special enough.
Toolish and tough enough for daily wear
Possible to wear in a formal situation if I swap out the straps
Enough water resistance for a snorkelling vacation

My tastes are relatively settled.
I'll just have to see what Tudor comes out with.
I'm annoyed that the 9f movement isn't Perpetual or at least Annual calendar.
I had looked at the SBGX117 but it's a lot less pretty.

These two watches are just middle of the pack and closely priced. If I can afford it I would get the Explorer I, if I'm poor I'll get the SINN 856

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i like the Tudor. I like all that yellow junk on the dial as well, I prefer an auto movement
Me too. Pity the automatic Grand Seiko automatic is so much more than the north flag. There's under stated and there's a bit too plain.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You're not the 1st to ask this type of question. I could tell you what I prefer, but that's just more meaningless prattle. ;) Only you know what you really want, and when you have the money to get it. And who knows what you may desire 3-5 years down the road. :noidea:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts