Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kid from next door came over to ask ME for help!
He has about $50 Christmas money and wants a tough watch for all his outdoor activities, which include : snowboarding, mountain climbing and hiking, white water canoeing and kayaking, etc.
After a trip through the Zon we found a few options, a Lad, a Pyle and a Casio.
Must have, temp, barometer, compass and altitude and be under $50 ( if you see something that may be better for a bit more I'll cover the balance as I'm ordering on my Prime a/c for him..
So what watch does it all and is the one we need ?
Thanks guys
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I second Adrema... hard part is cost, used G-Shock or Pathfinder is probably the best bet. You can find the Pathfinder for around $100 at times from various sites new.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Freeks:
I 2nd ganson's motion.
The Zon is offering one of it's Outgear twin sensor watches for S of $50.00.
WSD 300 model I think I recall. Two others for only a few bucks N of $50.00
It's great you're mentoring him like you are. Potential new Freek someday?

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Art, yes I think he is on the way to freekdom, always asks what I have new in. I loaned him my Casio 106 as school has started and he doesn't have a phone. He washed my car for me without being asked and said he proved the Casio is at least a bucket of soapy water proof!
We also gave him a laptop we had spare after an upgrade ,and our wifi password ,so he could do his homework and they don't have a pc. Seems most school homework is done online these days. Truth is he reminds me of me. He helps with the dogs, walking and bathing , he learned how to cut their nails without losing any fingers. And he helped me take down and rebuild an old Maico dirt bike I'm restoring. So, good kid.
We will check out all the great replies to this thread tonight. Thank you all for your input.
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Love to read about things like this. Puts a smile on my face.

Derek I applaud you sir.
Taking this young lad under your wing so to speak is awesome.
It sounds like he appreciates you as well.

:smileyface_hand_cla

Art, yes I think he is on the way to freekdom, always asks what I have new in. I loaned him my Casio 106 as school has started and he doesn't have a phone. He washed my car for me without being asked and said he proved the Casio is at least a bucket of soapy water proof!
We also gave him a laptop we had spare after an upgrade ,and our wifi password ,so he could do his homework and they don't have a pc. Seems most school homework is done online these days. Truth is he reminds me of me. He helps with the dogs, walking and bathing , he learned how to cut their nails without losing any fingers. And he helped me take down and rebuild an old Maico dirt bike I'm restoring. So, good kid.
We will check out all the great replies to this thread tonight. Thank you all for your input.
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff, Thanks for the links to those models.
My eyes aren't too good today. Could you please be good enough to explain the differences other than cosmetic with those three models?
Do they all have Alt, Barom, Temp and compass?
I think we are sure to be getting one of these.
Cheers
D.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Jeff, Thanks for the links to those models.
My eyes aren't too good today. Could you please be good enough to explain the differences other than cosmetic with those three models?
Do they all have Alt, Barom, Temp and compass?
I think we are sure to be getting one of these.
Cheers
D.
I'll do one better... here are pictures... in order from top to bottom to coincide with my original message and links:

Amazon has pics if you click each link in the original message.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian, thanks, but it's really easy to help a kid that is willing to learn and work for what he wants. At first I thought he was stopping by to chat because I have a daughter about the same age. Turns out they are friends but that's where the interest stops and my daughter is too busy for "boys" right now. (her words).
Maybe I think of the kid as the son I never had. (I have 3 daughters).
My wife gave him the key to our house when she saw him locked out of his house with no one home and it was pouring down with rain . First time he used it he vacuumed the living room!
There are a few of us on my street with motorbikes and he hangs with us when we fix someone's bike or go ride the dirt. We all clubbed in and bought an old Kawi 250 dirtbike which once we have it sorted will be given to him so he can join us on the trails this summer. There are two WIS among my friends and I'm sure that the watch hobby has rubbed off on him.
Cheers and thanks for your comments.
Derek

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jeff.
What do you prefer? Light numbers on dark or dark numbers on light?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeff, so the first is Solar and about $125, the other two are 3 year battery and around $95. Is it worth the little extra for the solar? I'm guessing YES but would like your thoughts.
Cheers
D.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I think the solar is worth it, personally. By the time it goes bad he'll be off on his own and can replace with ease.

As far as the look. I think the negative face is really neat (black with lighter numbers), but I hear they fade over time. I can't confirm that myself. It is a cool look, however. For a kid, I bet he'd like it.
Myself, out of those three, I'd go solar first, and then the negative face second if I ranked them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It just hit me. I'm pretty sure that I saw the Solar version, model PRG-270-1 (first link to Amazon), at Costco some time ago for $99.99! This was about 2 months ago, I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
he shouldn't need all those features for those activities. I'd say get the Gshock Mudman (the 66$ one) its rugged enough for all of those events.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts