Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

A little while back while researching vacations with the wife on TripAdvisor, it occurred to me that something similar for watches could be really useful. Specifically, a place where it would be easy to find multiple watch specific reviews left by people who have tested/owned the watch. Unfortunately, many great reviews on forums and blogs get pushed to the later pages of Google search results, and are effectively lost. Personally, reading reviews plays an important role in the 'watch research' phase before I acquire a new piece.

Thought I'd post a thread here to see if others find authentic owner reviews important, or if its just me.

For fun, I built a site (www dot WISReview dot com) that gives an idea of of what a TripAdvisor for watches could look like.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,
TDotWIS

·
Super Moderator
10,705 Posts
Neat idea TDot ! :thumb: You've got a whole bunch of watch brands, and different takes on all of them too. Really cool to learn about. THX ! :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Everyone!

A little while back while researching vacations with the wife on TripAdvisor, it occurred to me that something similar for watches could be really useful. Specifically, a place where it would be easy to find multiple watch specific reviews left by people who have tested/owned the watch. Unfortunately, many great reviews on forums and blogs get pushed to the later pages of Google search results, and are effectively lost. Personally, reading reviews plays an important role in the 'watch research' phase before I acquire a new piece.

Thought I'd post a thread here to see if others find authentic owner reviews important, or if its just me.

For fun, I built a site (www dot WISReview dot com) that gives an idea of of what a TripAdvisor for watches could look like.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,
TDotWIS

Not useful for goal you are trying to achieve. Yelp and Trip Advisor is good because of the volume of reviews not for the actual reviews themselves.

For instance 2000 people average 3 1/2 stars of this restaurant gives you an idea that that restaurant is reputable and the food is agreeable in general. However if you are looking for particular review of a dish its pretty useless unless the reviewer has the same taste preference as yourself.

The equivalent idea for watches is if you get a lot of people ranking a watch brand. You get the consensus that the Brand itself is good and therefore the watches in general are good. That is all a site like this can do for you. The choice and the research of the watch itself is too personal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not useful for goal you are trying to achieve. Yelp and Trip Advisor is good because of the volume of reviews not for the actual reviews themselves.

For instance 2000 people average 3 1/2 stars of this restaurant gives you an idea that that restaurant is reputable and the food is agreeable in general. However if you are looking for particular review of a dish its pretty useless unless the reviewer has the same taste preference as yourself.

The equivalent idea for watches is if you get a lot of people ranking a watch brand. You get the consensus that the Brand itself is good and therefore the watches in general are good. That is all a site like this can do for you. The choice and the research of the watch itself is too personal.
You make a great point Jeff. Some collectors have started leaving reviews of their own on the site. The hope is that this trend continues and the site can accumulate enough reviews that it can serve the same purpose as TripAdvisor or Yelp!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts