·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Source - http://content.comcast.monster.com/...-to-build-wealth/home.aspx?WT.mc_n=comcast800

Top 5 Cities to Build Wealth
by Maura Pallera, Salary.com Contributing Writer

Is your paycheck not stretching far enough? Are you considering moving to a new town? Are you just looking to change jobs? If so, it may be time to look at one of the cities at the top of Salary.com’s 2008 Salary Value Index. The compensation experts at Salary.com uncovered the top US cities for building personal net worth by taking into account local salaries, cost of living and unemployment relative to the national average.

This year’s list also factors in qualitative measures, including diversity of industry, education level of the cities’ population, proximity to post-secondary institutions, percent of the population below the poverty level and median travel time to work.

Below are the top five Salary Value Index cities with links to salary ranges for an accountant, administrative assistant, nurse and software developer in each city. Compare the differences between the cities and use the Salary Wizard to see what you could earn in these locales or others.

1. Plano, Texas

Located within the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metropolitan area, Plano is the ninth-largest city in Texas. A frequent destination for business travelers, it is home to many corporate headquarters, including JCPenney, Frito-Lay and Perot Systems. The city has a reputation for being one of the best places in the country for employers to do business and for families to live and work. Plano has a nationally acclaimed public education system and well-educated, diverse residents.

2. Aurora, Colorado

Aurora is part of the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area and is the third most-populous city in Colorado. Once a budding frontier town of farmers and ranchers, Aurora is now a largely suburban city with over 450 neighborhoods. Aurora has a booming economy and is a business leader in such key growth industries as biotechnology, aerospace and high technology.

3. Omaha, Nebraska

Part of the Omaha-Council Bluffs metropolitan area, Omaha is the largest city in Nebraska. Omaha has been racially and ethnically diverse since its founding and continues to boast a rich cultural background. Omaha’s economy has grown dramatically since the 1990s, largely due to diversification in several industries, including banking, insurance, telecommunications, architecture/construction and transportation.

4. Minneapolis, Minnesota

Part of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area, Minneapolis is the largest city in Minnesota. The economy is based on commerce, finance, rail and trucking services, and healthcare.

5. Albuquerque, New Mexico

This fast-growing city at the center of the New Mexico Technology Corridor is the largest city in New Mexico. Boasting a newly revitalized downtown area, Albuquerque has a diverse population and some of the leading high tech research facilities in the country.

See rest of the list and where your city ranks at http://www.salary.com/personal/layo...cat=cat011&ser=ser031&part=Par926&isdefault=0

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

my city - Raleigh, NC is ranked 17th. Raleigh has been ranked by Forbes 3 or 4 years in a row as one of the top 3 places to do business in the country. Just a really fast growing area!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I grew up in Aurora Co. I couldn't WAIT to leave. I called it the vast prefabricated wasteland at the time, but I was young and foolish (instead of old and foolish).

It didn't list the salary of TV Shopping channel hosts, even though it had Minneapolis...

David

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I think I'll stay broke in the exurbs of L.A. :)
Yeah at least you got the weather TK, and the Ocean, and warm water fishing, And big game fishing Geeeez man I dont like you much right now either.

I do personal Coaching for high School football players, and one of my star pupils or at least potential stars had a game last night State Semi finals, and I was freezing my A$$ off watching a game in 35 degree weather with the wind blowing right at me at about 20 MPH!!!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Absolutely Rip...a 45 min drive to the landing and an overnight boat ride to prime Mexican fishing grounds...I would go nuts without it!
I envy you man, what a life!!!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Absolutely Rip...a 45 min drive to the landing and an overnight boat ride to prime Mexican fishing grounds...I would go nuts without it!
Yea well I'm 10 minutes from the greatest snow on Earth. If you are a powder hound and love boarding or skiing my city is the place to live. I also live 3 hours from some of the best National Parks in the US. Can you guess where I live?? This is an easy one. LOL!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
imported post

Ya'll can keep that SNOW and freezing cold weather...! give me the SUN, SAND & SURF anyday.. 75deg sunshine in Dec. oh yea...:t

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

lowcal1 wrote:
Ya'll can keep that SNOW and freezing cold weather...! give me the SUN, SAND & SURF anyday.. 75deg sunshine in Dec. oh yea...:t
That's what so great about being here Alan...you can still go get your powder on, if that's your thing, then you can drive a couple of hours and get your surf and fish on too! Yeah...I'm good here.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I would say Utah...like Rip said, too damned cold for me.
Utah it is. We have all 4 seasons here. In 4 hours I can be in the heat of Southern Utah. I'm 1 hour from gambling in Wendover, NV. We hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics. And the snow well it's fantastic. If you hate the cold then Utah is not for you. Todays high is 51 degrees. Anyhow enough with my solicitations of Utah.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
Utah it is. We have all 4 seasons here. In 4 hours I can be in the heat of Southern Utah. I'm 1 hour from gambling in Wendover, NV. We hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics. And the snow well it's fantastic. If you hate the cold then Utah is not for you. Todays high is 51 degrees. Anyhow enough with my solicitations of Utah.
It's a beautiful place to visit! I used to go to Provo every summer to instruct at the baseball clinic at BYU.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Watchguru58 wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
It's a beautiful place to visit! I used to go to Provo every summer to instruct at the baseball clinic at BYU.
BYU beat my Utes 26-23 tonight. I'm still in pain. I attended both BYU and the U of U. I ended up graduating from the U. Provo is a different city. I live in SLC.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

That what I've heard Rob. SLC is a little less "conservative" than Provo? When I rolled into town for the first time back in the day, it felt like I rolled into Mayberry, which in essence it is. Not criticizing, but from where I'm from, the city doesn't "close down" on Sunday.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
That what I've heard Rob. SLC is a little less "conservative" than Provo? When I rolled into town for the first time back in the day, it felt like I rolled into Mayberry, which in essence it is. Not criticizing, but from where I'm from, the city doesn't "close down" on Sunday.
I hear you 100%. Salt Lake City is very non-conservative surprisingly. Provo is very staunch religious. I attended BYU and decided it just wasn't my type of lifestyle. It's a very prestigious school, but I ran after one semester there. Ha Ha LOL!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.