Watch Freeks banner

Have you (or a mate) modded (even if just the band) and said...

• MEH, MAYBE ONE MORE

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • THIS ROCKS ALL DAY LONG

• NEVER-NEVER AGAIN!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SERIOUSLY PLAN TO MOD A WATCH SOME DAY

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Many WFs, and visitors, mod watches to make money, save money, be unique or original aiming to scratch an itch.

Many micro brands yield bang for buck, parts shopping leads me to believe they're at it for love of the hobby, in addition to propping a door to the market, their net ($) must be modest.
A simple pole-- have you modded a watch and it didn't satisfy you, you loved and will continue and expand the experience, or it flopped and you hated the outcome, or the experience.

Straps & bracelets go along way, but that's a separate consideration. I've seen butchered frustrations of a simple band swap that wasn't so simple after all.

Super Moderator
Have unfortunately never modded a watch AW. 馃檨 About the only
thing I have done, is change straps, and mostly NATO's, but the
watches did look really good, and very different afterwards to tell
the truth ! 馃槃 Seriously though, I know they are at least a couple
members here who can really answer this phenomenal question,
along with poll sir. 馃檪

Registered
I have modded one of my Vostok Amphibias to change the bezel and back cover. It's easy and inexpensive to do.

Other than that, like @AtomicTom, other than straps / natos, not really.

Registered
I wasn鈥檛 crazy about the bezel on this, plus it looked like it would scratch easily.

So I got a Yobokies bezel and swapped it out. I watched a YouTube video and it went well. I like the look. Now I get to save the original bezel and pass it on if I ever sell it. The new owner will have a choice. The original bezel was so smooth, the new one isn鈥檛 near as smooth, but it works.

I have some ideas on modding a couple of watch dials. I鈥檓 still looking for the right specimen to work on. I don鈥檛 anticipate that it will turn out as cool as I see it in my mind though.

Registered
Many WFs, and visitors, mod watches to make money, save money, be unique or original aiming to scratch an itch.

Many micro brands yield bang for buck, parts shopping leads me to believe they're at it for love of the hobby, in addition to propping a door to the market, their net ($) must be modest.
A simple pole-- have you modded a watch and it didn't satisfy you, you loved and will continue and expand the experience, or it flopped and you hated the outcome, or the experience.

Straps & bracelets go along way, but that's a separate consideration. I've seen butchered frustrations of a simple band swap that wasn't so simple after all.
Well, I think it goes without saying that not everything works out perfectly. Many times something mocked up in the mind does not result in the exact product at the end. The reasons could be many but usually, in my experience at least, until all the parts are together one cannot see the different sizes, dimensions, shapes and proportions, even colors of the parts and lume can make a difference.

But to me this is a hobby and so if one combo does not work, I can mock up a new one... There are so many combinations that it is fun just trying them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn鈥檛 crazy about the bezel on this, plus it looked like it would scratch easily.

So I got a Yobokies bezel and swapped it out. I watched a YouTube video and it went well. I like the look. Now I get to save the original bezel and pass it on if I ever sell it. The new owner will have a choice. The original bezel was so smooth, the new one isn鈥檛 near as smooth, but it works.

I have some ideas on modding a couple of watch dials. I鈥檓 still looking for the right specimen to work on. I don鈥檛 anticipate that it will turn out as cool as I see it in my mind though.
Looks like you swapped the bracelet too. This looks very good, it looks like a more expensive piece.
Is that unidirectional, 120 click? Does is play at all?
If you have something in your minds eye I bet it will turn out as cool, I look forward to seeing too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
...this is a hobby and so if one combo does not work, I can mock up a new one... There are so many combinations that it is fun just trying them.
Please don't feel obliged reply or elaborate, I'm home and chillin' this weekend so I'm studying---plotting.

I'm very pleased with the military mod you posted last week or before. It may've been an Ocianica, I'll be back to that one for sure. As a novice and newb I can't say if you nailed the authenticity but the look and feel that draws me is spot on.

Have you worked with titanium or precious metals to house movements yet? If so, does the base material come into play in any way (other than price)?

With work, school and family I don't need a hobby, but I can't seem to put it out of mind, fun yes, like exploring and creating, sorta.

Registered
Please don't feel obliged reply or elaborate, I'm home and chillin' this weekend so I'm studying---plotting.

I'm very pleased with the military mod you posted last week or before. It may've been an Ocianica, I'll be back to that one for sure. As a novice and newb I can't say if you nailed the authenticity but the look and feel that draws me is spot on.

Have you worked with titanium or precious metals to house movements yet? If so, does the base material come into play in any way (other than price)?

With work, school and family I don't need a hobby, but I can't seem to put it out of mind, fun yes, like exploring and creating, sorta.
Thank you my friend. Unfortunately I have little money and even less time... so I can only do small projects which consist of replacing parts with others that already exists. Aftermarket or original, there are many avilable.

I did find another Oceanica that will need some work to make it operational. But I have hands/dial already chosen so now I need to put everything together. I might need a new movement or at least some parts...

Hopefully I can do this in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts