Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Been very impressed with the sofar, although I have not ordered one yet. I have to say that leather looks very good for the price of watch it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, the watch had been in the country since Monday. Just hit USPS sorting in Nassau NY. It won't be here before I head off to work. Another two weeks before I can let you guys know what's going on with the watch.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Great find and it certainly looks more expensive then the price you paid for. However, I feel the triangular index they used below the 12 marker is too similar to IWC Pilot; which is really not a bad thing. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true, maverick.

I wish it did have tisell on the dial, but it would take away from the watch a bit.

I want on eBay a found these exact dials and "B" type dials with the hour numbers inside and minutes outside. One in a gorgeous starburst brown.

I do plan on building one. I found tons of cases and movements and hands.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Freeks:
Anyone know who markets the Tissel? Price structure?
Movement?
I realize it's a S Korean brand.
Please post info. Reasearched amazon. They don't sell
the Tissel. Secondary market offering?

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, it seems like Korea only. No US distributors I can find. To make it worse, the Korea only site has more models including a chronograph that I want.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Looks great! Nice sterile dial... The ETA (previously Unitas) 6497 and 6498 movements are rock solid proven workhorse movements... I don't know how the Asian versions compare but from my experience with similar Seagul movements they are surprisingly well executed and run just fine... The weakness if any, is in the crown mechanism, so be gentle when setting and winding, as you should be with any mechanical... :rolleyes:

Now that leaves the questions to where the value is since there are many Asian pilot style watches that can be had for less than $100... The crystal, the case, the dial... and the strap can make all the difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very true, maverick.

I wish it did have tisell on the dial, but it would take away from the watch a bit.

I want on eBay a found these exact dials and "B" type dials with the hour numbers inside and minutes outside. One in a gorgeous starburst brown.

I do plan on building one. I found tons of cases and movements and hands.
I hope you succeed. Perhaps, if it's something you love doing; you can make more and give them as presents or sell them. ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that leaves the questions to where the value is since there are many Asian pilot style watches that can be had for less than $100... The crystal, the case, the dial... and the strap can make all the difference.

This is true. They only had the saffire with AR coating available. So, I wasn't mad about the extra $40 spent. I could build the same watch for around $90-120, sans the straps. But my lack of tools, know-how, and patience made this a good deal. Lol. I found the exact movement for $45-$56, and the same case with mineral glass front and back with crown for $20. And found a coated black case for a little more. This was just in looking up the movement. Hands were about $19 also, and dials were just allover the place

I hope you succeed. Perhaps, if it's something you love doing; you can make more and give them as presents or sell them.
Lol. If I had my own case and dial designs, I'd sell them. It's kinda hard to get these to be distinguished from other watches, though. I don't want to be a cookie cutter watch with cool colors.

But, I would build these as gifts for family and friends. And a gift certificate for maintenance or straps or something.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Falkon:
If you ever start casing, selling em let us Freeks know.
I'd like to get in on the ground floor.
Lots of room out here in watch buyer and collecting land.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Falkon:
If you ever start casing, selling em let us Freeks know.
I'd like to get in on the ground floor.
Lots of room out here in watch buyer and collecting land.

Lou Snutt
Lol. Will do. The point of the watches would be "cost effective style". I'd be using Asian movements, and chronograph variations. Mostly hand winding for a more classical feel. Actually, I need to talk to a few guys to see who helped them design their dials. Hands are pretty readily available, thankfully.

Very limited runs. Maybe 25-50 watches total with more made to order if there was a demand. But they'd mostly be given to family members as gifts.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got in at about 1am from Louisiana, so please excuse the pictures. I wanted to jump on this watch asap.

So, first off, it's non-hacking. A little upsetting, but not a deal breaker. They were out of the riveted straps, as forewarned (why the sapphire Crystal wasn't extra), but I'm not a fan of the strap that's on it. Good quality, but super thick. 5 mils to be exact, throughout the entire length. I'll change them out later. Probably for a leather NATO.

The lume is very even on mine, and looks amazing. Going to wear it today. Not much planned but packing and heading to Virginia, so I'll try and show it off in town for a bit.

Forgot to post the pictures

Simple box

In love with the case back

As it sits, I like it. The fit and finish is well beyond what I paid for it. I definitely didn't lose with this watch. I gave it 40 turns, hoping I didn't go to far, as this didn't have any instructions.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I've been wearing this almost every day for about two weeks. The second day, I had a weird 5 minute loss. Wound the watch again, and its been about two minutes fast a week so far. This non hacking thing is upsetting me, because I'm not as accurate as I want to be in gauging seconds. Other than that, I'm warming up to the super thick 5mm strap. This watch actually got me thinking about keeping the satellite dish Stührling Tuskegee Bomber just so I have more pilot watches. Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts