Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT - I've renamed this thread after I took a closer look at the watch in question and realized it seems to be a deliberate attempt to deceive an uneducated buyer on eBay to the tune of $3,700.00 ! The seller calls the watch "The RARE of the RAREST Accutron Astronaut watch" but it's more like "The FAKE of the FAKEST Accutron Astronaut watch"...

This is one of the worst repainted dials I have ever seen

Can you say FAKE!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clearly, the serial number is not factory stamped on its rear cover...

Compared to a rear cover with factory stamped serial numbers...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few things to look for when trying to determine if a dial is genuine or a fake.

Things to look for like is the logo centered?

Is the lettering the correct factory Font?

When the font is compared to genuine factory examples...

Is the numbering the correct factory Font?

When the font is compared to genuine factory examples...

If the answer to any of those question is NO then it's a safe bet the dial is repainted or a fake...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hope you reported the listing to ebay so they can remove it...
scary what some people will try to pass off as genuine.
How do you report fakes on Ebay? I looked through the list of "report" options but didn't see anything about fakes or counterfeits?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i hope you reported the listing to ebay so they can remove it...
scary what some people will try to pass off as genuine.
Chances are virtually zero of getting Ebay to take action against sellers of fake items.
At the risk of sounding negative, the onus is on the reporter to provide concrete evidence that in this instance, a watch is fake. This is evidenced by the literally scores of fake items that continue to be sold there and it would appear that there is no end in sight. In fact, it appears to be getting worse, particularly with watches and watch related parts.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Chances are virtually zero of getting Ebay to take action against sellers of fake items.
At the risk of sounding negative, the onus is on the reporter to provide concrete evidence that in this instance, a watch is fake. This is evidenced by the literally scores of fake items that continue to be sold there and it would appear that there is no end in sight. In fact, it appears to be getting worse, particularly with watches and watch related parts.
I've seen a number of fake watches taken off eBay due to multiple reports of them being fake. If enough people report something it could happen. Alternatively, you could just ignore it and let buyer beware run its course.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen a number of fake watches taken off eBay due to multiple reports of them being fake. If enough people report something it could happen. Alternatively, you could just ignore it and let buyer beware run its course.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I would like to report it but I don't know how?

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
Some really great detective work Accutronitis, and terrific information
all around you guys !!! :clap2: :thumb::thumb:

Honestly is so cool to know for Accutrons like this, but probably
vintage watches in general right?! ..I mean have seen a lot of older
watches that I really wasn't sure about. With most all of them being
a lot more obscure than these Accutrons above that had many of
these same warning signs. :eek: ..So awesome to have you shed some
light on this like this.

Thanks very very much for all of the insight, along with pictures !

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some really great detective work Accutronitis, and terrific information
all around you guys !!! :clap2: :thumb::thumb:

Honestly is so cool to know for Accutrons like this, but probably
vintage watches in general right?! ..I mean have seen a lot of older
watches that I really wasn't sure about. With most all of them being
a lot more obscure than these Accutrons above that had many of
these same warning signs. :eek: ..So awesome to have you shed some
light on this like this.

Thanks very very much for all of the insight, along with pictures !
You bet, I'm here to help! There is just so much nonsense on the web it gets challenging for the average person to know what's real and what is fake or what is fact and what is propaganda from someone with an agenda...

I wish my watch knowledge extended into other brands and watches but I have a very narrow watch knowledge which is limited to the Bulova Accutron 214 watches from 1960 to 1977 which to a large extent comes from a LOT of hands-on working on them for myself and many others.

I also learned a lot from other very knowledgeable people as well...

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
You bet, I'm here to help! There is just so much nonsense on the web it gets challenging for the average person to know what's real and what is fake or what is fact and what is propaganda from someone with an agenda...
I wish my watch knowledge extended into other brands and watches but I have a very narrow watch knowledge which is limited to the Bulova Accutron 214 watches from 1960 to 1977 which to a large extent comes from a LOT of hands-on working on them for myself and many others.
I also learned a lot from other very knowledgeable people as well...
Well we really appreciate you sharing some of what you know like this ! :)
It not only helps with Accutrons, but vintage watches of all types if you
ask me I bet. So in a way, you're knowledge actually does extend beyond
Bulova, or Accutron. :thumb::thumb:

Wow, and you have actually worked on them too? ..Unbelievably impressive ! :eek:

Thanks once again !

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That has to be so much fun it's not even funny Accutrontis. :) :cool: ..Amazing !
It's fun when you finally are very good at it but anything else when you get paid to work on them it becomes just that "work" BUT it depends a lot on what you are working on! Like working on an 18kt solid gold Astronaut is still fun but working on your run of the mill dialed watch not so much...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
It's fun when you finally are very good at it but anything else when you get paid to work on them it becomes just that "work" BUT it depends a lot on what you are working on! Like working on an 18kt solid gold Astronaut is still fun but working on your run of the mill dialed watch not so much...
Is this something you work at full time or is it more of a side line?
Just curious as I was admiring your fabulous rotation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts