7,650 Posts
imported post

Hello, anyone home? :%

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

I am. As far as I am concerned , I am.

Am I? Well, thats up to you, as far as you are concerned.

What is a blog for? Who cares about what another person is thinking or doing? I don't know, but I thought it might be a good way to get out my thoughts, even if no one reads it, in a therapeutic manner. Venting. Also, I thought I might actually get constructive suggestions from people to any particular issues I might be having.

So, allow myself to ... Introduce ... ... myself (thanks for the video, szaskar! You post the best clips!).

My name in real life is also Rob. I grew up, for the first 20 years of my life in New Jersey. Then moved to Buffalo, NY, to finish a bachelors degree in cell and molecular biology, with a minor in anthropology/archaeology. I stuck around, got a Ph.D. In biochemistry. After 8 years up there I moved back to NJ while looking for a job, and worked in marketing and technical service of drivetrain components. Then, just when I was going to give up looking for acceptable work in my field, I got a great offer for a postdoc/scientist position at The Johns Hopkins University. I spent perhaps the happiest 4 years of my life there. Then, from a series of fortunate/unfortunate events, I left that career, for a career in patent law. I became a scientific consultant, started law school, and expected to be "promoted" to law clerk (sort of a side shift, and no change in what I did). But at that time the economy was taking a dive. So the firm I was at wanted to get rid of me. They made life very difficult for me, and luckily, I had a few friends among the lawyers, and they helped me figure out what was going on at the upper end of the firm. I bolted, and two weeks later was a patent examiner at the patent office here in the states. After about 5 grueling years teaching myself patent law by doing it, I think I managed to become a good examiner, and have stayed there because of the perk of working at home. The pay is good for me, but not as much as if I were at a firm, but Its definately less stressful, and i control my day. Big perk.

Almost 4 years ago, My wife and I had our first kid, Maddie, and last year we had our second, Chloe. They are both wonderful, and it really changes your life! My wife, Val, and I like to travel, and enjoy making our own foods. A lot of cooking... Mmmm.

So, thats about it for this first entry. Now you know about me somewhat, so you mit learn where I am coming from too.

The kids are sick, so I amm a little busy at the moment. If you have a question, feel free to ask. I firmly believe any question can be asked, just please dont intentionally try to irritate with them.

Rob

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
imported post

Since you've spent a lot of time in Jersey, are you related to a well known, at least in my town, Police Officer/Detective of the same name as yours.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

tinknocker wrote:
Since you've spent a lot of time in Jersey, are you related to a well known, at least in my town, Police Officer/Detective of the same name as yours.
Officer Kelly? That guy in your town who gives out all those tickets? ...

No. My family sticks to the other side of the fence!

:%:%:%:%

My family is in pharmaceuticals, banking, chemicals, and head hunting.

Funny how I am against much of my family's establishment. Leads to wonderful get togethers!

:lol:lol

Rob

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
imported post

Time Traveler wrote:
tinknocker wrote:
Officer Kelly? That guy in your town who gives out all those tickets? ...

No. My family sticks to the other side of the fence!

:%:%:%:%

My family is in pharmaceuticals, banking, chemicals, and head hunting.

Funny how I am against much of my family's establishment. Leads to wonderful get togethers!

:lol:lol

Rob
Yep, that's the guy. :lol

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

So, I spent the last 4 days working on a specific case. Some cases are really, difficult just to wrap your head around, and it leaves you chewing up time that you are technically not working to get things done (((in)voluntary overtime). This case chewed up that free time, along with the time allocated to work on other cases. I finished it mid afternoon today, around 4pm, then closed it. Then i remembered a detail, and opened it up again only to find it looked like I hadnt touched it at all! I lost all that work, and i still have to make up the other other cases time, by tuesday! All is lost! Frustrating!

So, I took a nap, took care of the kids, made soup and let myself relax. I just dont want to think about work type stuff at the moment. Tomorrow and tuesday will be a real nightmare for me!

The kids are still bad, my eldest may be worse than yesterday, as the tylenol is ameliorating, but not curing her fever. I will be getting up hourly tonight to check her temperature. Lucky thing we have temple thermometers these days!

On the watch front, I have been thinking a lot on the seiko chrono diver and new DB coming out. I am loving them both. Not sure if I should stay strong, or grab these soon as I find good deals!

On the fishing front, I have a set of outriggers to mount to the boat, but no time to do it. I have to get it done soon though, because if its a warm february, i really want to try for some tuna down in hatteras, NC.

Rob

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
imported post

Time Traveler wrote:
So, I spent the last 4 days working on a specific case. Some cases are really, difficult just to wrap your head around, and it leaves you chewing up time that you are technically not working to get things done (((in)voluntary overtime). This case chewed up that free time, along with the time allocated to work on other cases. I finished it mid afternoon today, around 4pm, then closed it. Then i remembered a detail, and opened it up again only to find it looked like I hadnt touched it at all! I lost all that work, and i still have to make up the other other cases time, by tuesday! All is lost! Frustrating!

So, I took a nap, took care of the kids, made soup and let myself relax. I just dont want to think about work type stuff at the moment. Tomorrow and tuesday will be a real nightmare for me!

The kids are still bad, my eldest may be worse than yesterday, as the tylenol is ameliorating, but not curing her fever. I will be getting up hourly tonight to check her temperature. Lucky thing we have temple thermometers these days!

On the watch front, I have been thinking a lot on the seiko chrono diver and new DB coming out. I am loving them both. Not sure if I should stay strong, or grab these soon as I find good deals!

On the fishing front, I have a set of outriggers to mount to the boat, but no time to do it. I have to get it done soon though, because if its a warm february, i really want to try for some tuna down in hatteras, NC.

Rob
Sorry to hear that your kids are still struggling with a fever... I hope they feel better soon.

If you were to avoid buying the Seiko and the DB, what watch would that money be saved for?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
imported post

Time Traveler wrote:
One of three, the tudor heritage chrono, tudor heritage advisor, or rolex sub. Those three top my list these days.

Rob
Damn... in that case, put the credit cards down and step away from the computer! 3 seriously awesome watches right there, well worth the wait IMO.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

I worry about the sub though. If I purchase one, will it become my all-the-time watch? I really want to live like Arnie, but I fear I would shut down future purchases if I received that one.

Guess there are worse things to worry about!

Rob

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
imported post

I would still wanna mix it up, even if I bought my ultimate grail watch... but I understand what you're saying. I think the real issue to worry about is what you're gonna tell your wife when a package from Rolex turns up on the front doorstep. :%:%

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

So, I have this seiko kinetic, an original US kinetic, 1996 case.

I never wear it, because I do not find it attractive any longer, but I refuse to part with it, or see it not function. Thus, I change the Li ion battery when needed, shake it to charge once a month, and keep it in a case, where its visible.

Another recently noted to me that a watch is not loved, if it is not worn. I like the axiom, but to all rules, there must be exception, to be reasonable.

Why do I do this? I have a number of items that I do similar things with (violin, sextant, keyboard, a flask, etc.). I do it because they are from, and represent a timepoint in my life that is of some significance.

The Seiko was purchased after finishing my Ph.D. And flat-out refusing to work for the peanuts that people were offering. At that time I took a job in drivetrain marketing and tech service. At the same time, I had divorced and actually swore off women for a while. It was time when I was realizing that I am a good person, and a smart and strong one, and worth more than what others wanted to relegate me to for my time. I purchased this watch on my own thoughts on looks and movement (electromagnetic charging), and it was the same thread, that "others thoughts arent necessarily right, and if I apply myself, I can always do a better job at anything than others" lesson.

That lead me to wonder, am I unusual for keeping these items? Do others just keep pictures? Not that it would change my ways, but I wonder what others do. My wife keeps some things, but not like me. So, i am still left with the question, do others keep items as a reminder of past times?

Rob

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

Started seeing a chiropractor recently. I have had a back problem all my life, but the medical doctors could never figure it out. I never went to the chiropractor because so many people i knew could never stop going, and i am 'frugal'. Yeah, thats it, frugal.

Lately it got worse, so i said to myself i should go to witch doctors if i have to, but it must get fixed.

So, the first visit felt like he beat my back with a bat. But guess what? Less pain, and he told me things that made me realize he knew the problam fairly well. Now i go 2-3 times a week, for 3 weeks now. The pain is less, but still there, hopefully it gets resolved in a few months, or i will be broke, with the copays!

Anyway, if you are bored enough to be reading this, I can tell you, if you have unresolved back problems, see a chiropractor.

Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts