Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a collection of my latest projects. I have not posted them before because I have been busy and because I wanted to complete them.

I have been working on these for months, mostly to find the watches and the parts that would be suitable for my liking for these projects. Not that I am picky or choosy but I had envision a certain result and I wanted to try to the best of my capabilities, to achieve that result. This is not always easy because one has to put the parts together in order to see exactly how they fit, the proportion, color, etc.

The limitations of my watch fund dictate a meager sum available for watch projects. Therefore, these are all watches I got second hand, used. Mostly I got them by trading some of my other projects, all had to be affordable if not downright bargains. Of course such search is never fast but always rewarding.

Seiko SKX171 Silver Reef

This came to me as a used Seiko SKX171. The dial has an interesting story, I originally got a Tsunami with that dial and swapped it for something else. I then installed that dial on another watch and sold. A year or more later, after that watch had been sold another few times, I saw it on sale again and I contacted the owner to see if I could get it back. I did not have a lot of cash but after a little communication I worked out that I could replace that dial with another one I had, so the owner sent me the watch, I did the swap and got the dial back.

The dial is from Dagaz, metallic silver and it is nice. The only reason I wanted it was that I wanted to have in my collection a silver dialed diver. I have black, blue and orange dials already and this would complement the collection.

I replaced the original movement with a new one because I wanted to have the white disc with the date numbers on it to better match the dial color and markers. After months of research I was finally able to get the hands I wanted, the hands from the Seiko Sea Urchin white dial. The seconds hand is from another Seiko but I don't remember which one, I had it in my parts storage for a while, waiting to be used... The bracelet is original Seiko Jubilee. Lume is nice and very similar one of the best to come from Noah/Jake.

Seiko SKX Military MKII

This is another used SKX diver that I got, it was already half modded with a domed sapphire crystal and the Murphy bezel. I installed the MKII military dial without the date and the hands. I also installed the current bezel insert.

I also found a oyster bracelet for it and installed that too. I much prefer bracelets for my watches now days. Lume is nice and bright, although since there is little lume paint it is not as visible and powerful as other Seiko dive watches.

Seiko SARG007

This is a really interesting watch. First of all some call it Alpinist in some of the forums, however I have not seen any reference from Seiko that they are in fact part of that series. However the watch itself is a great combination of features including sapphire crystal and 6r15 movement, rotating internal bezel and signed crown. The watch is 40mm large and feels as solid as an SKX diver and about the same size. In fact it even looks a little larger because of the large dial and big crown. The military style works well with me and the only thing I did not care for was the seconds hand which originally had the lume pip on the tail end. I just did not like the look of it and found the current one, MKII military seconds hand which, in my opinion, perfectly matches the other hands and dial.

this came to me with a leather strap and after a few attempts of finding a bracelet without spending an arm and a leg, I put on it this Seiko 5 folded bracelet. It fits perfectly and looks just fine on the wrist. It might not be high end but it works.

Seiko SARG005

Same story as above, the only thing I did on this was to replace the seconds hand that had the lume dot on the tail end. This seconds hand comes from a Seiko FFF white dial. The dial of this watch is one of the nicest I have seen. Cream color metallic, it has a really nice shine that my poor camera equipment and my even poorer photographic skills can't reproduce. I tried to the best of my abilities but none of my pictures really show the beauty of this dial.

The watch came with the original bracelet which is really nice although lack in micro adjustments. Overall an awesome watch with a good quality 6r15 movement, sapphire crystal and the perfect size for most people, 40mm. Large modern and signed crown looks great to me and the internal rotating cardinal point bezel is cool.

Seiko SARG003

This is the latest addition and I actually have not worn the watch yet. Same deal here, 40mm case, sapphire crystal, 6r15 movement, large signed crown, internal rotating bezel, nice bracelet, raised and chrome framed hour markers and the same seconds hand with the lume dot on the tail end...

The watch looks perfect to me but I just thought that it would look better with a different seconds hand. So I sourced a Omega Aquaterra seconds hand and really like the result. True I was going to do something else, but the original plan did not work out and so I decided to just do the little swap. It worked for me...

Seiko SARG011

This is an interesting watch. It is similarly sized to the above, 40mm with 20mm lugs. But it does not have the second crown. It has the nice 6r15 movement as well as a nice domed sapphire crystal. Big numbers on the dial and a pilot type look. I did not like the original hands because I thought that they looked too short and too thin. I tried these ones from the Seiko SRP441 and while I think that they are better, I am still not totally happy. But I do think it looks better at this moment and until I find the perfect solution, these will do.

Since I bought this used, the watch came without straps. I was able to fit another one from a different Seiko model, one of the military SRP series which is pretty nice. Not as nice an original one maybe, but it works.

Overall a very nice look and lume. The only defect I see is that the 8 o'clock marker is a little off, I guess a mess up in printing/painting. Not a big deal but a little annoying. A small mark on a otherwise awesome watch.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Very nice collection! Thanks for sharing!

On a side note... in my quick glance at the post title I read as if it was saying you had a "time share" (think vacation homes) on a Seiko, which I found absolutely perplexing... It's Monday and clearly my brain function is compromised!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Your patience has certainly paid off, wonderful collection you have there. It must be very satisfying wearing one of those pieces knowing the effort you have put in to make it exactly as you like it. So so much better than buying one off the peg so to speak.
Very much enjoyed your photos and the story's behind each timepiece. Love to have a go myself one day.
Thanks for sharing 😊

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wow what a nice collection!

Limited funds or not, you made each of these your own. They truly look fantastic. I really like all of them.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the kind words and yes, there is a certain happiness and satisfaction that goes with seeing or wearing one of these pieces, for me at least.

I just realized that every single one of my watches, that are in fact keepers, have been to a smaller or larger degree customized to better please me. Some time even a small thing like a different strap can make a huge difference in the way a watch looks and feel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice pieces! Good call with the seconds hands, the backwards lume pip is probably the only thing I dont like about those SARGs straight off the shelf...

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
holy smokes well done! awesome post, love the pics

pardon my comment, i'm not crazy about the hands of the Seiko SARG011, I have no idea if these will fit but take a look at the hands on the pic below

Otto Frei search for HAN-6580

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow, you've got some serious skill. This is my dream, to sit around and make Frankenstien watches all day. That will be my main retirement hobby. Almost there :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts